Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What if.. Stamkos actually does have his best days behind him? Let's say his season continues on it's current projection and he finishes with a merely respectable twenty to thirty goals. What the hell happens then? Does a team still sacrifice everything on a bid for his star power?
He, on a surface value does seem to be declining rather sharply. I know he's only twenty five, but these stars fade fast once their toolboxes are damaged. Players like Stamkos have been scoring goals in the same fashion their entire hockey careers, and once they find that they physically are unable to complete the same moves that were once so effortless to them, they fall back to earth. Not only on a physical level, but a mental one as well.

I say the next team that takes on Stammer, has a project on their hands.

When was the last time a player of Stamkos' caliber fell off at the age of 25/26? An off year is one thing, but players of this quality tend not to just stop being elite level players all of a sudden.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
When was the last time a player of Stamkos' caliber fell off at the age of 25/26? An off year is one thing, but players of this quality tend not to just stop being elite level players all of a sudden.

Anybody other then me worry that Stamkos' production dropped around the same time that MSL was traded away from the Lightning. I know his injury played a factor in that as well but think it's underrated how much MSL allowed Stamkos to play his game and succeed, I would imagine he would get above 40 playing with McDavid but is he is dead set on playing center that changes things don't want to McDavid to the wing at all long term. I just don't see the reward being worth the risk when he is gonna want 10M+ per season.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Anybody other then me worry that Stamkos' production dropped around the same time that MSL was traded away from the Lightning. I know his injury played a factor in that as well but think it's underrated how much MSL allowed Stamkos to play his game and succeed, I would imagine he would get above 40 playing with McDavid but is he is dead set on playing center that changes things don't want to McDavid to the wing at all long term. I just don't see the reward being worth the risk when he is gonna want 10M+ per season.

Again, the guy got 43 goals last year.

I don't care if his overall level of play slid back a little bit, 43 goals in this league is damned impressive.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
As intriguing as getting Stamkos would be:

#1. Too expensive. I'd rather have Hall than Stamkos, crazy as that may be, and Halls contract is expiring soon enough. I expect Hall to be an 8 million dollar man plus who knows how much McDavid will want.

For me having Hall, McDavid, & potentially Leon as our Elite level guys that need to be paid makes sense. Adding Stamkos just doesn't make sense for some many reasons.

#2. I am concerned about how he has played since coming back from injury. He had an ok year last year but I know many thought he had lost a step and the fact he is still declining to me is just too much risk. Anyone remember how good Brad Richards and Vinny Lecavalier were and then just disappeared?

#3. Sick of the masses of Toronto based media and fans being so jaded, bitter, and jealous of the Oilers roster. They will all have kittens and be buried under a hissy fit of furry if we somehow got Stamkos.

#4. The assets to acquire Stamkos with no guarantee he will sign with us would be far too great if we got him this year and of course his price will be sky high if he waits to sign until the summer.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Again, the guy got 43 goals last year.

I don't care if his overall level of play slid back a little bit, 43 goals in this league is damned impressive.

I'm only a bit concerned about his production, my biggest concern with him is allocation of our cap being very forward heavy and him messing up the salary structure going forward. If he is getting 10M+ and score say 35 goals and 75 points and McDavid scores 30+ and 90+ points he is rightfully going to be asking for league max on his next contract.

I just don't see the risk being worth it with all the offensive talent we have up front already.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Or was it?:sarcasm:

I think the 10m/year figure is all Toronto media's doing to make him priced out of most teams range. The Leafs would gladly take him for 10m+ even just to have some "star power" there

$10 million isnt what it used to be. With the changes to the CBA you cant cheat the cap hit with a 12 or 13 year contract like Crosby and Ovechkin have to keep them under 10. Kane and Toews both have a $10.5 cap hit and he's outscored both of them most seasons up until now. Sure they've had playoff success but they're on a better team but Kane has one 30 goal season and Toews has never hit 80 points. Minnesota is paying Zach Parise $9 million this year Nashville are paying Weber $14 million this year. His agent will ask and someone will pay.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Dany Heatley.

Hence my mention of Stamkos being a more "level headed" Heatley. Heatley still had respectable seasons after the scoring drop off though

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
If were bringing in Stamkos. We would need to move Ebs, Nuge and Yak for D and support players.

MAYBE we could keep Yak and hope he would sign for cheap after another year, although I don't think he helps us win in the long term.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Stamkos had 43 goals last year...

He's just fallen victim to whatever plague is robbing the stars of the Eastern Conference of their abilities this year.

43 goals without a playmaker like McDavid too. I have no question that if we got Stamkos, he'd score 50+ goals. He's not a guy who drives your offense, like Ovi, but the guy can finish as well as anyone

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If were bringing in Stamkos. We would need to move Ebs, Nuge and Yak for D and support players.

MAYBE we could keep Yak and hope he would sign for cheap after another year, although I don't think he helps us win in the long term.

To Nashville for Shea Weber. Now they have a legit first line:sarcasm:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
43 goals without a playmaker like McDavid too. I have no question that if we got Stamkos, he'd score 50+ goals. He's not a guy who drives your offense, like Ovi, but the guy can finish as well as anyone

It's the contract that will be crippling to the team's salary structure. Unless he takes something not much more than Hall, if at all, it's not gonna work out IMO

I actually think Hall might even be more impactful than Stamkos since the latter, like you said, can't really drive offense by himself.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

That's the only way it would make any sense to me.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
getting Stamkos reminds me of all the hype over the Pens this offseason. Kessel+Malkin+Crosby was just too great to pass up and they imagined massive point totals immediately following that. Except it didn't happen, and maybe they really should have went after D or two way forwards instead.

McDavid should be the only huge cap hit on the team, with Hall being a step behind. Then we need some other big contracts on D and G. Then we should have good wingers and centers. Getting Stamkos interrupts this plan. Getting Stamkos fits in our cap in the short term, but long term it probably means we lose Hall or NEVER have a great D no matter how we rig it. Just remember that.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It's the contract that will be crippling to the team's salary structure. Unless he takes something not much more than Hall, if at all, it's not gonna work out IMO

I actually think Hall might even be more impactful than Stamkos since the latter, like you said, can't really drive offense by himself.

If it's under 10, I think we could make it work. Over 10 million, and I agree

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
not a popular opinion i bet, but would rather go get ryan johansen instead of stamkos personally...

Better fit yes, but Stamkos as a UFA > assets it would take to land Johansen.

Just for fun......

Eberle for Kreider
RNH for Zibanejad and Lazar
Reinhart, Schultz, Simpson, 2nd for Bogosian
Bogosian and Chase for Hamonic
Yak, 2016 1st for Sami Vatanen and Anaheim 2nd
Sign Stamkos

Hall Drai Zibanejad-this line has it all. Power/speed/Size/Playmaking/Finishing.

Kreider McDavid Stamkos- fastest line in the league with elite everything.

Pouliot Lander Lazar- crash and bang energy line with great speed and forechecking ability.

Hendricks Letestu Korpi- solid 4th line that could play a shutdown role with great penalty killers.

Extra forward- Pakarinen- versatile and can play multiple positions throughout the lineup.
First call ups- Khaira, Slepyshev, Yakimov.

Klefbom Hamonic- Even strength minute munchers playing too comp.

Nurse Sekera- solid 2nd pairing

Davidson Vatanen- Vatanen on #1 PP would be good for 50+ points.

Nilsson
Talbot/Broissoit

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Dany Heatley.

Hence my mention of Stamkos being a more "level headed" Heatley. Heatley still had respectable seasons after the scoring drop off though

Heatley was a 40 goal 80+ point player until he was 30. It would be pretty unprecedented for a player like Stamkos to just completely fall off at the age he's at.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

We need to keep in mind we have a new GM. Is anyone really untouchable. Anytime you have a new GM that has no real ties to the majority of the team and you have an elite player like Stamkos who knows what could really play out.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Heatley was a 40 goal 80+ point player until he was 30. It would be pretty unprecedented for a player like Stamkos to just completely fall off at the age he's at.

Oh I know. Someone mentioned example and I think Heatley was the closest, especially if you look at goal scoring.

Both are highly touted snipers but their scoring starts dropping when things didn't go their way. That's all I'm highlighting.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I'm only a bit concerned about his production, my biggest concern with him is allocation of our cap being very forward heavy and him messing up the salary structure going forward. If he is getting 10M+ and score say 35 goals and 75 points and McDavid scores 30+ and 90+ points he is rightfully going to be asking for league max on his next contract.

I just don't see the risk being worth it with all the offensive talent we have up front already.

This makes alot of sense, its easier to get Mcdavid and Drai on cheaper contracts when noone on the team is making more than 6. Sign Stamkos at 10+ and we lose leverage. Kind of hard to convince a guy to take a team friendly contract when we throw a huge wad of cash at a UFA.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

What about Lecavalier? At 26/27 he had 52 / 40 goals and after that never scored another point for the rest of his life (may be a slight exaggeration, but still...)

Remember how big of a star Lecavalier was, and a rising star at that? That was a precipitous drop...

LIGHTNING then, LIGHTNING now..

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
What about Lecavalier? At 26/27 he had 52 / 40 goals and after that never scored another point for the rest of his life (may be a slight exaggeration, but still...)

Remember how big of a star Lecavalier was, and a rising star at that? That was a precipitous drop...

LIGHTNING then, LIGHTNING now..

That Lightning Curse

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Both #1 overall picks, exactly 10 years apart... Yakupov was number 10 before he changed to 64.... Nintendo 64 came out on the tenth day of the tenth month...

I'm just making stuff up here but I could make this sound really good if I spent 5 minutes on it. Too many numbers lining up...

Point being there is definitely precedent for albatross contracts on high pedigree players.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
They are unable most shifts to have much offensive zone pressure because right now RNH is a boat anchor offensively. He's not carrying the puck very well or making plays with it. Something is clearly off with him.

All the more reason to use RNH as a winger on the 2nd line with McDavid and Eberle. Load up the first 2 lines since the Letestu, Hendricks line has been killing it for us. Boston threw Seguin on the wing for years among others, I see no reason why RNH can’t make the switch. The first 2 lines are stacked that way and Yak is waiting when the chemistry doesn’t work any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad