Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
There is zero chance I would make a run at Stamkos

RNH for UFA Stamkos?! you joking? They have nearly the same points this year. Go read the Tampa board, Stamkos isnt having an unlucky year, hes looked done for past 2 years. Id rather have RNH at 6M then Stamkos at 10. In fact, highest id go for Stamkos on the Oilers is probaly 8

His style isnt needed and contract would be way too much. Not sure why people want to boot Eberle, but then bring in a better scorer for nearly double the price

Stay very, very far away from Stamkos if hes getting over 8-9 mil at year

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Maybe it's time to start worrying about the now, and not 3 years down the line. Take advantage of a superstar on an entry level deal.

Drai, McDavid, Nurse, and Klefbom will not be close to a 20 mil increase on their 2nd contracts. More like 13-15 considering they will hit a lot of bonuses on their ELC.

You can't keep holding back on improving the team because you're worried what might happen in 3 years. Look at Chicago. They have to dump players every few years because they can't afford them but they are under the cap every fall and ice a contender.

Teams are adjusting to a cap era now and are starting to see the bigger picture, which is massive contracts and NTC/NMC's can sink you. It's not going to be as easy to move high priced talent and if you can the return will be garbage. Same with RFA's who are due big raises but the team doesn't have the cap space to give it to them. A lot of teams around the league are going to be tight to the cap or an internal budget. My guess is that more and more you will see teams having to unload good RFA's due for raises because they have overpriced veterans they can't get rid of. Then you factor in that in a lot of cases they won't be able to or won't want to take salary back in a trade. So you have to find teams that have cap space and a need for that player who can make a trade happen without sending salary back. It's really going to limit options and the Oilers would be best served to maintain some cap flexibility so they can take advantage of these situations.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Let Toronto deal with Stamkos. Dude is a winger, and not a good two way player. He is arguably not even better than prime Kessel right now (well actually clearly hes not). He is going to get chewed up and spit out in Toronto just like Kessel did. Hell Clarkson was deemed the next Wendall Clark and herlded at the time of signing. Became the villian VERY quickly. Stamkos wont last too long

However, if you dont take my word, just venture to the Bolts board http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1982277 and if that isnt enough, check from last year when everything was great in Bolt land and they still piled on him

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Maybe it's time to start worrying about the now, and not 3 years down the line. Take advantage of a superstar on an entry level deal.

Drai, McDavid, Nurse, and Klefbom will not be close to a 20 mil increase on their 2nd contracts. More like 13-15 considering they will hit a lot of bonuses on their ELC.

You can't keep holding back on improving the team because you're worried what might happen in 3 years. Look at Chicago. They have to dump players every few years because they can't afford them but they are under the cap every fall and ice a contender.

As it currently sits the Oilers are within $3M of the cap without including any of these bonuses. This year they are at risk of going over because of the bonuses but you need to convert the current cap hits into real cap hits because going forward there is no bonus cushion. Your team would also almost certainly take bonus overages in the next two years compounding your issues.

Right now you have hard cap hits totalling about $3.9M for the three. If you have McDavid at $9.5M, Drai at $6 and the two defensemen at $4.25M you need to find $20M in increases. With all of your signings who is coming off the books to make room? Chicago had to find $8M in one year and it cost them Sharp and Saad. With Nurse and McDavid up in year three and with a bonus overage you could be looking at having to find $12-15M in new cap space in one year. Who goes?

And the whole win now thing is a bit foolish if it means you have to dismantle the team when McDavid is about to turn 21. No way you can have everything you are asking for and hope to stay under the cap going forward.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
why in gods green earth would we want stamkos for 9-10 million? and more importantly, why would stamkos come to the oilers? this makes less than zero sense, it makes negative sense

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
why in gods green earth would we want stamkos for 9-10 million? and more importantly, why would stamkos come to the oilers? this makes less than zero sense, it makes negative sense
Pretty much...outlandish, surprised it came from Bob

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
I would definitely look at trading for/offer sheeting Andrew Shaw over the summer. Would be a great middle sixer. I wonder how much $$$ or assets it would take.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

I don't see what's wrong with his post.

Steven Stamkos is a great player but Edmonton is the last team that gives a **** about him. Probably one of the handful of teams that has no real reason to even put in a token call to his agency.

Since he broke his leg, he hasn't been anywhere near as productive as he used to be. He's likely going to sign for the biggest cap hit in NHL history. We are likely to have a better centre than him in a year or two and we've got two others who are actually outscoring him (or tied with him) this year.

EDIT: Wait, Bob McKenzie said the Oilers had interest? That's ****ing weird. Do not see the logic at all.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
There is zero chance I would make a run at Stamkos

RNH for UFA Stamkos?! you joking? They have nearly the same points this year. Go read the Tampa board, Stamkos isnt having an unlucky year, hes looked done for past 2 years. Id rather have RNH at 6M then Stamkos at 10. In fact, highest id go for Stamkos on the Oilers is probaly 8

His style isnt needed and contract would be way too much. Not sure why people want to boot Eberle, but then bring in a better scorer for nearly double the price

Stay very, very far away from Stamkos if hes getting over 8-9 mil at year

I'm one of RNH's biggest critics and I agree. The 4-6m more it costs just to acquire /sign Stamkos vs keeping RNH in the line up isn't worth it

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I don't see what's wrong with his post.

Steven Stamkos is a great player but Edmonton is the last team that gives a **** about him. Probably one of the handful of teams that has no real reason to even put in a token call to his agency.

Since he broke his leg, he hasn't been anywhere near as productive as he used to be. He's likely going to sign for the biggest cap hit in NHL history. We are likely to have a better centre than him in a year or two and we've got two others who are actually outscoring him (or tied with him) this year.

EDIT: Wait, Bob McKenzie said the Oilers had interest? That's ****ing weird. Do not see the logic at all.
The first line of that post read Stamkos isn't that good so yah it is wrong.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
He isn't the only one saying it though

Someone here during preseason said two things to look for this year before post got deleted by mod.

One is Hall for Weber
The other was watch for Stamkos to sign here.

Obviously it was likely bs but kind of amusing that it's not the first time such a thought came about

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The first line of that post read Stamkos isn't that good so yah it is wrong.

"Isn't that good" is a relative statement.

Stamkos "isn't as good" as he was a few years ago. Stamkos "isn't as good" as an 11M dollar player should be. Stamkos "isn't as good" in the playoffs.

I don't think Lay Z Boy GM was suggesting Stamkos isn't a good player.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I wouldn't trade for Stamkos either. He definitely isn't the same player since that major injury took place. I'd rather stay the course and maybe if anything, trade for a d'man. Oilers are a better team with just the new coaching staff alone.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
"Isn't that good" is a relative statement.

Stamkos "isn't as good" as he was a few years ago. Stamkos "isn't as good" as an 11M dollar player should be. Stamkos "isn't as good" in the playoffs.

I don't think Lay Z Boy GM was suggesting Stamkos isn't a good player.
:shakehead He isn't going to get paid one of the top salaries in the league because he isn't that good. The leafs would move heaven and earth to get their hands on Stamkos, he doesn't fit on the Oil...that we agree on. But anyone suggesting that Stamkos isn't that good (relative statement or not :shakehead) needs to give their head a shake.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I would definitely look at trading for/offer sheeting Andrew Shaw over the summer. Would be a great middle sixer. I wonder how much $$$ or assets it would take.

I'd be curious of this too. Doubt the Hawks would be able to keep him and Kreuger. He's a guy who competes hard, plays physical two way hockey and can chip in 15-20 goals and play up and down the lineup. Exactly what we need.

Another guy I could see being a cap casualty would be Spurgeon. He's small but man is he an intelligent player who can put up points offensively and is a smart defensive player. He'd be a massive upgrade on Schultz.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
:shakehead He isn't going to get paid one of the top salaries in the league because he isn't that good. The leafs would move heaven and earth to get their hands on Stamkos, he doesn't fit on the Oil...that we agree on. But anyone suggesting that Stamkos isn't that good (relative statement or not :shakehead) needs to give their head a shake.

He's going to get paid THE top salary in the league because he's the first player of that high end reputation to make it to potentially make it to UFA status in a very long time.

He's not going to get paid that because his play the last two and a half years has necessarily warranted it. We're talking about a player who has been very similar to Phil Kessel in more than one regard the last ~150 games he's played.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'm one of RNH's biggest critics and I agree. The 4-6m more it costs just to acquire /sign Stamkos vs keeping RNH in the line up isn't worth it

Agreed. Im only trading RNH for a quality D, or possibly for a Lucic or Kesler-type forward. Otherwise, just keep the Nuge.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Only way I see it happening would be a Hossa situation, where a guy takes significantly less money to play with a team he wants to go to. If Stamkos wants to be on the Oilers at 6-7 million a year, that's great. But 10 million for Stamkos is asking for cap problems.

Not gonna lie though, it would be awesome. If they could do it without moving Eberle or RNH, the hype would be unreal.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Only way I see it happening would be a Hossa situation, where a guy takes significantly less money to play with a team he wants to go to. If Stamkos wants to be on the Oilers at 6-7 million a year, that's great. But 10 million for Stamkos is asking for cap problems.

Not gonna lie though, it would be awesome. If they could do it without moving Eberle or RNH, the hype would be unreal.

I think the point of landing a LW/C is that he would provide what Nuge would if Drai keeps playing really well which is extra centre depth and a wing option. While being able to move RNH for a great young D.

The only way it makes sense is if you want to keep the same type of (or improved) skill in your top 6 while being able to trade away RNH for a top D after we would of signed Stamkos in FA.

We would really IMO to make it work acquire a young D who is solid and price controlled or at least not outrageously expensive in a Seth Jones, Barrie, Hamonic type D otherwise it does not work in theory.

Hall(6)-Drai(3.75)-Eberle(6)
Stamkos(10)-McDavid(3.75)-Yak(2.5)
Pou(4)-XXX-Slepyshev(0.9)
Letestu(1.8)-Lander(1)-Hendriks(1.8)
Gaz(0.8)

Klef(4.16)-Jones(6)
Nurse(1.7)-Sekera(5.5)
Davidson(1.2)-Reinhart(3.2)
Gryba(1.5)

Talbot(2.5)
Nilsson(2)

Total=70M+1.25M for Ference Buyout=71.3M

Need to sign a 3rd line C with the remaining 3M with the projected 74.5 Cap. But I would say that team could go decently far.

TL,DR this idea is not really plausible unless he does take like 7-8 for any time from after next year as we would have Yak and Drai with new contracts coming into effect in 2017-18 and unless cap growth is decent long term we are likely crippled when McDavid, Hall, and Nurse need new contracts. It is fun to think about though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad