Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
If we signed Stammer, it would mean RNH + for a big fish D could be feasible. But Stamkos contract would be 10m+ and we still haven't fixed our D. Buff? Now were looking at close to 18m more combined.

Who goes then? I know we have contracts coming off the books but we also have some players to sign and we would have to be looking at some cap dump moves down the road. I don't know, it could be possible, but it would take some cap management magic.

Purcell, Nikitin, Scrivens, Klinkhammer, Gazdic= around 13 mil off the books

Ferrence buyout= around 2 mil extra

RNH and Eberle= 12 million combined.

Total 27 Million

Stamkos (10M), gritty UFA like Brouwer/Ladd/Lucic (5-7M), 1st pairing defenseman ranging from Hamonic/Jones to Byfuglien (4-7M)

Total 24 Million worst case.

We'd still have enough to give a goalie a raise and sign a bottom 6 forward. Being able to land Stamkos, Lucic/Brouwer/Ladd, and Buff all as UFA's would allow the Oilers to trade RNH and Eberle for massive futures packages which would set up the post McDavid ELC years nicely.

And yes, the Leaf's fans tears may cause the Great Lakes to overflow. They are still getting over their collective case of Chonnorhea. It would be such a troll job to land Stamkos.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
So say Stamkos at 10.5 so the Kane/Toews contract. That would be 4.5 million over RNH if we moved him then you factor in Nikitin off the books (4.5). Potentially a Ference buyout the cap (~2M off ish) increase of 1-2 million for next season. We have the money I would say it really is just a matter of can you keep draisaitl by signing him to a 5-6M contract if he keeps performing.

I would not chase a UFA D as they will get big money but a Tyson Barrie at 6-6.5 or a Seth Jones at a similar price we could potentially fit as a long term entering their prime option.

Yeah that makes sense to me. My rough calculation is about 15m coming off the books. Ference buyout close to 17m... it seems possible now, but the tough decisions would be in 2-3 years.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
I think theyre just speculating stammer to the Oil to increase clicks. I think hes going to the Leafs, almost certainly. Theyre gonna pay him whatever he wants.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
is there a link to where McKenzie suggested Stamkos to Oilers?

It was just on sportscenter with this on the fly interview. He mentioned Leafs, Habs and Oilers were known to have 'interest'.

Although I think he's kind of a tool, Siegel from TSN makes a valid point about RNH over Stamkos. Stamkos looks like he's trending down and is he 6+ million "better"?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think theyre just speculating stammer to the Oil to increase clicks. I think hes going to the Leafs, almost certainly. Theyre gonna pay him whatever he wants.

the Leafs also have no pressing cap issues from any angle. They are a team of mediocre players. Nobody is getting a big raise there. They might as well take on a massive contract and all the risk with it.

For us to pay top dollar to Stamkos, we would be making a lot of compromises and taking on a lot of risk. Also, we would be giving up on the idea that we would go after an elite defenseman. We would have many of the same problems that Pittsburgh has in terms of struggling with decent depth. We'd be praying that Klefbom could be the next Duncan Keith.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Yeah that makes sense to me. My rough calculation is about 15m coming off the books. Ference buyout close to 17m... it seems possible now, but the tough decisions would be in 2-3 years.

Moving RNH stops us from having to up him. I don't think Draisaitl gets more than Hall for his second contract even if he keeps it up a 6-7 year 5.5M contract seems about right which is only a 1.75M increase from his 3.75M caphit. I honestly think it is possible but we need to recomp our bottom six and draft well.

I expect McDavid to get a 6ish million raise to 9.5-10 or something like that at the most I would hope.

We have Davidson and Reinhart who aren't going to be too expensive then Klef who is controlled along with Sekera. Nurse is a wildcard and the last Dman is whoever Hopkins/Eberle go for.

oilz89*

it will be mean--but I am hoping he signs anywhere but with the leafs--just to watch their fans reaction--So many had McDavid emblazed on their uni prior to the lotto and their reaction was very childish--so I am hoping for more tears from their fans

Me too. Leafs tears are my elixir of life

Macblender

May 5, 2014
It was just on sportscenter with this on the fly interview. He mentioned Leafs, Habs and Oilers were known to have 'interest'.

Although I think he's kind of a tool, Siegel from TSN makes a valid point about RNH over Stamkos. Stamkos looks like he's trending down and is he 6+ million "better"?

But could a Stamkos-McDavid-Yak line re-ignite stamkos' goal scoring ability? It is a lot go risk though.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
it will be mean--but I am hoping he signs anywhere but with the leafs--just to watch their fans reaction--So many had McDavid emblazed on their uni prior to the lotto and their reaction was very childish--so I am hoping for more tears from their fans

All of this crap because of a simple liked tweet from him. TSN went absolutely mayhem over it. Now I can't wait until their media says "Is there a chance McDavid signs with the leafs?" in a few years. Every damn superstar that's born in Ontario or had the leafs as their favorite team going up is going to the leafs according to their comical media.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The McDavid effect.

Woo him Conner, woo him.

At around 9 million it might work.

RNH for Stamkos.

Eberle for Hamonic (3rd team involved getting Eberle and sending a defenseman to NYI)

Sing Troy Brouwer type in the summer. Maybe trade Yak for a more defensively reliable 40-50 point crash and bang winger.

Brouwer McDavid Stamkos
Hall Drai Yak
Pouliot Lander Pakarinen
Hendy Letestuu Korpi

Klefbom Hamonic
Nurse Sekera
Davidson UFA (Gryba/Spurgeon)

At 9 million per, I'd probably do RNH for Stamkos, but I doubt Stamkos signs from that. I think any deal for Stamkos has to come with the ability for negotiate a contract before the deal is final (unless it's to TO, because they'll just give him whatever he asks)

Jun 9, 2011
Agree. I don't even think we need Stamkos. We need to balance our team. High end centre? Check.

oilz89*

Agree. I don't even think we need Stamkos. We need to balance our team. High end centre? Check.

We need defence. Someone please say Klefbom is back tomorow. We're gonna get raped by chicago if NN is with Schultz

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
We need defence. Someone please say Klefbom is back tomorow. We're gonna get raped by chicago if NN is with Schultz

Klefbom just got put on IR today. So that means he's gone for a week minimum right?

Such a crappy year for injuries... again.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Purcell, Nikitin, Scrivens, Klinkhammer, Gazdic= around 13 mil off the books

Ferrence buyout= around 2 mil extra

RNH and Eberle= 12 million combined.

Total 27 Million

Stamkos (10M), gritty UFA like Brouwer/Ladd/Lucic (5-7M), 1st pairing defenseman ranging from Hamonic/Jones to Byfuglien (4-7M)

Total 24 Million worst case.

We'd still have enough to give a goalie a raise and sign a bottom 6 forward. Being able to land Stamkos, Lucic/Brouwer/Ladd, and Buff all as UFA's would allow the Oilers to trade RNH and Eberle for massive futures packages which would set up the post McDavid ELC years nicely.

And yes, the Leaf's fans tears may cause the Great Lakes to overflow. They are still getting over their collective case of Chonnorhea. It would be such a troll job to land Stamkos.

So you have now filled 3 roster spots out of say 6 or seven vacancies that you have created and you have saved a grand total of $3M while getting rid of any space you may have going forward. Once the remaining spots are filled you are very close to this year's cap. How do you propose finding the roughly $20M in additional space you will need for raises for Klefbom, Nurse, Draisaitl and McDavid by 2018-2019?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
So you have now filled 3 roster spots out of say 6 or seven vacancies that you have created and you have saved a grand total of $3M while getting rid of any space you may have going forward. Once the remaining spots are filled you are very close to this year's cap. How do you propose finding the roughly $20M in additional space you will need for raises for Klefbom, Nurse, Draisaitl and McDavid by 2018-2019?

Maybe it's time to start worrying about the now, and not 3 years down the line. Take advantage of a superstar on an entry level deal.

Drai, McDavid, Nurse, and Klefbom will not be close to a 20 mil increase on their 2nd contracts. More like 13-15 considering they will hit a lot of bonuses on their ELC.

You can't keep holding back on improving the team because you're worried what might happen in 3 years. Look at Chicago. They have to dump players every few years because they can't afford them but they are under the cap every fall and ice a contender.

Jun 9, 2011
Maybe it's time to start worrying about the now, and not 3 years down the line. Take advantage of a superstar on an entry level deal.

Drai, McDavid, Nurse, and Klefbom will not be close to a 20 mil increase on their 2nd contracts. More like 13-15 considering they will hit a lot of bonuses on their ELC.

You can't keep holding back on improving the team because you're worried what might happen in 3 years. Look at Chicago. They have to dump players every few years because they can't afford them but they are under the cap every fall and ice a contender.
I think GM's are catching on to the cap and just removing salary isn't as easy as it was even last year.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
My guess is that TML make Stamkos the highest paid player in the league. They want him bad and Don Meehan knows it.

Kind of makes me mad that at a time when C is our strength, it's like the year of the 1C. Stamkos and Kopitar could possibly go to UFA, Johansen possible traded, Staal possibly traded.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
My guess is that TML make Stamkos the highest paid player in the league. They want him bad and Don Meehan knows it.

Kind of makes me mad that at a time when C is our strength, it's like the year of the 1C. Stamkos and Kopitar could possibly go to UFA, Johansen possible traded, Staal possibly traded.

There's also D though. Shattenkirk, Byfuglien, Burns. Hamhuis and Campbell as well. All currently unsigned. Maybe one squeaks through. Maybe not, but same goes for centers.

edit: Burns still has one more season. Still, it's not far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad