Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
Yeah, I addressed that when I noted that teams prefer to match, even when faced with matching insane contracts like the ones Weber/RoR were offered.

There are a couple of reasons that this is the case in my opinion:

1. Most teams do not have the cap space to make them.

2. The ones that do have the cap space (e.g. Edmonton) will usually have their own RFA's coming up (e.g. McDavid). Out of fear of retaliation, those teams don't sign offer sheets.

3. In order to get a player, at the very least a small overpayment is required.

4. Using this strategy, in light of how rarely it is used, would alienate the GM from his brethren - thus curtailing his work options following his firing by the current team.

TL;DR: GMs are too scared to rock the boat.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Richards is done. Kassian is still kinda young at 24/25, might still have some good years left. Richards is probably a bad bottom six guy now.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Richards is done. Kassian is still kinda young at 24/25, might still have some good years left. Richards is probably a bad bottom six guy now.

I wish Richards weren't done, he used to be one of the most exciting two way centers in the game. Kid had grit too.

Too bad, him and Carter really took a fork in the road as far as their careers are going.

If Richards finds some kind of revelation and worked hard for a year, I bet he could find his way back in to the NHL for a few years of pay.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Heh McKenzie just mentioned Stamkos possibly to Leafs, Habs, or Oil lol

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

Stamkos would look great here whether it be as a center or on the wing, but not at the dollar he's bound to receive.

This is one possible UFA that I have no desire in chasing. With RNH Drai, and Mcdavid as our centers, and Drai and Mcdavid no doubt going to be making decent coin in a few years, the last thing we need is another huge contract up front.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There's always the remote possibility that Stamkos wants to play with McDavid enough to play here at a discount. I doubt it, but that would be the ONLY way it would happen. Even with all the cap dollars coming off the books, we have to start planning for the 2018-19 season, and hope that we have a good enough D and goaltending to actually want to pay them good money.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

The McDavid effect.

Woo him Conner, woo him.

At around 9 million it might work.

RNH for Stamkos.

Eberle for Hamonic (3rd team involved getting Eberle and sending a defenseman to NYI)

Sing Troy Brouwer type in the summer. Maybe trade Yak for a more defensively reliable 40-50 point crash and bang winger.

Brouwer McDavid Stamkos
Hall Drai Yak
Pouliot Lander Pakarinen
Hendy Letestuu Korpi

Klefbom Hamonic
Nurse Sekera
Davidson UFA (Gryba/Spurgeon)

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The McDavid effect.

Woo him Conner, woo him.

RNH for Stamkos.

Eberle for Hamonic (3rd team involved getting Eberle and sending a defenseman to NYI)

Sing Troy Brouwer type in the summer. Maybe trade Yak for a more defensively reliable 40-50 point crash and bang winger.

Brouwer McDavid Stamkos
Hall Drai Yak
Pouliot Lander Pakarinen
Hendy Letestuu Korpi

Klefbom Hamonic
Nurse Sekera

Trading Hopkins for Stamkos, an impending UFA, would be amongst the most foolish moves i could ever think of. If he wants to come here he can do it as a UFA, why would you give up Hopkins? Tampa has no leverage. Also considering the stink he's made about not playing center something tells me he isn't going to sign somewhere to play the wing. He'd be a great fit with McDavid, but i just don't see it happening.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Trading Hopkins for Stamkos, an impending UFA, would be amongst the most foolish moves i could ever think of. If he wants to come here he can do it as a UFA, why would you give up Hopkins? Tampa has no leverage.

I guess Chia would know through his back-channels if he is dead set on signing here, so wait it out in that case. If the Oilers somehow land Stamkos they will need to shed a few big contracts though. Eberle and RNH would be first on my list in that situation. Signing Stamkos and trading one of them for a defenseman and the other for a few 1st rounders/high end prospects would be ok with me. It would be nice to have some good young players on entry level deals when Conner's new deal kicks in.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Stamkos does provide a intriguing option though.

Right now people are saying we should keep Hopkins and role a great top 6.

Hall-RNH-Drai
Pou-McDavid-Yak/Eberle

You could have the same elite 3 centers trade Nuge for Seth Jones or the like whatever it takes to get it done.

Hall-Drai-Eberle
Stamkos-McDavid-Yak
Pou-XXX-Slep

Klef-Jones
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Reinhart

I think I am dreaming in technicolor but would be a wild scenario.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I liken McDavid to the gold rush in the late 1800's. Conner is the gold and everyone else in the league are prospectors. Stamkos is the first big name UFA that has a chance to capitalize on the bump his career numbers will get by heading West for the golden child. Maybe Stammer has the fever.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Can't imagine the reaction of leaf fans if Stamkos signed with us....they have already claimed Steven as one of their own......much like McDavid...oh the delicious tears

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
The McDavid effect.

Woo him Conner, woo him.

RNH for Stamkos.

Brouwer McDavid Stamkos
Hall Drai Yak
Pouliot Lander Pakarinen
Hendy Letestuu Korpi

Klefbom Hamonic
Nurse Sekera

If we signed Stammer, it would mean RNH + for a big fish D could be feasible. But Stamkos contract would be 10m+ and we still haven't fixed our D. Buff? Now were looking at close to 18m more combined.

Who goes then? I know we have contracts coming off the books but we also have some players to sign and we would have to be looking at some cap dump moves down the road. I don't know, it could be possible, but it would take some cap management magic.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
If we signed Stammer, it would mean RNH + for a big fish D could be feasible. But Stamkos contract would be 10m+ and we still haven't fixed our D. Buff? Now were looking at close to 18m more combined.

Who goes then? I know we have contracts coming off the books but we also have some players to sign and we would have to be looking at some cap dump moves down the road. I don't know, it could be possible, but it would take some cap management magic.

So say Stamkos at 10.5 so the Kane/Toews contract. That would be 4.5 million over RNH if we moved him then you factor in Nikitin off the books (4.5). Potentially a Ference buyout the cap (~2M off ish) increase of 1-2 million for next season. We have the money I would say it really is just a matter of can you keep draisaitl by signing him to a 5-6M contract if he keeps performing.

I would not chase a UFA D as they will get big money but a Tyson Barrie at 6-6.5 or a Seth Jones at a similar price we could potentially fit as a long term entering their prime option.

oilz89*

letestu moves to wing. Lander is centre in between hendo and him. Leon is third line centre with Hall and Stamkos. Or stamkos is centre with Leon on the wing

:laugh:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Bringing in Stamkos is where you try and get cap creative.

This is where you potentially make an overpay. Trade RNH for Hamonic, freeing up just over 2mill in cap space.

Yes, the direct value of the rnh trade is overpay, but it fills a huge whole on D, while creating room for Stamkos to be a better replacement.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
is there a link to where McKenzie suggested Stamkos to Oilers?

well there's this: http://www.tsn.ca/all-signs-point-to-stamkos-leaving-tampa-1.410192

and there is no strong link between Stamkos and the Oilers btw. Bob is just spitballing, but he does sincerely believe that there is a good chance Stamkos leaves Tampa (edit: and that bit does seem to be based on something real). We are one of many suitors that he is speculating about.

McDavid was at the Biosteel camp in the summer, playing with Stamkos, and Stamkos was very impressed with McDavid. Crosby was too.

I still say Stamkos would have to agree to a lowish deal. Like 8 million. Full NMC and all that.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Bringing in Stamkos is where you try and get cap creative.

This is where you potentially make an overpay. Trade RNH for Hamonic, freeing up just over 2mill in cap space.

Yes, the direct value of the rnh trade is overpay, but it fills a huge whole on D, while creating room for Stamkos to be a better replacement.

Maybe a pick with hamonic to even it out slightly nothing huge but load the chambers to help maybe trade picks for bottom 6 forwards that are relatively cheap. Like an Andrew Shaw at 2.5 to replace not signing Purcell at 4.5 save money there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad