Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
MacTavish would have claimed Kassian.

People drawing him into their top six need to give their heads a shake.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
MacTavish would have claimed Kassian.

People drawing him into their top six need to give their heads a shake.

because he would bring the JAM ?? :laugh:

as for the 2nd part ... does McLellan need to give his head a shake considering the players he has tried on Oilers top 6?

Klink and Lander last night with RNH.
Purcell, Klink, Hendricks, Pakarainen with Hall-Drai previously

Give your head a shake if you think McLellan would NOT have tried Kassian on the top line had Chiarelli claimed him.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
because he would bring the JAM ?? :laugh:

as for the 2nd part ... does McLellan need to give his head a shake considering the players he has tried on Oilers top 6?

Klink and Lander last night with RNH.
Purcell, Klink, Hendricks, Pakarainen with Hall-Drai previously

Give your head a shake if you think McLellan would NOT have tried Kassian on the top line had Chiarelli claimed him.

Gazdic had about 3 shifts with Eberle and Nuge in the 3rd :rant: May as well be playing shorthanded guy can't chip the puck off the glass and out let alone make a pass.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Gazdic had about 3 shifts with Eberle and Nuge in the 3rd :rant: May as well be playing shorthanded guy can't chip the puck off the glass and out let alone make a pass.

Yeh Gazdic doesnt really need a hockey stick since he doesnt do much with it. He did crash and bang a bit while he was on that line creating some space for RNH and Ebs.

The too many men penalty last night would have him warm the pressbox seat for a few games me thinks.

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com
I guess we are good with Klinkhammer the 8min TOI man on the 2nd line.

Add in Gazdic the too slow to jump over the boards and Anton the no hands Lander and this team is good on the grit side..

These guys aren't good options, but Kassian is a terrible option as well too. 29 teams passed on him, and for good reason. His natural skills are wasted by the fact that.. well.. that he's likes to get wasted. They don't need that type of player around here now that they have a pretty good attitude from the bulk of the team. The Canadiens didn't even get a single regular season game out of him. And this would have been his 4th team by 24.. that doesn't bode well to me. It's not like he hasn't been given a second chance to get his **** together. That's what the Habs gave him (if you could call it a *second* chance), and he threw it away. Edmonton isn't exactly the destination players go to to get their career in order. Kassian's on the verge of fading out of the NHL completely.. he'll be happy playing beer league soon over in Europe.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
These guys aren't good options, but Kassian is a terrible option as well too. 29 teams passed on him, and for good reason. His natural skills are wasted by the fact that.. well.. that he's likes to get wasted. They don't need that type of player around here now that they have a pretty good attitude from the bulk of the team. The Canadiens didn't even get a single regular season game out of him. And this would have been his 4th team by 24.. that doesn't bode well to me. It's not like he hasn't been given a second chance to get his **** together. That's what the Habs gave him (if you could call it a *second* chance), and he threw it away. Edmonton isn't exactly the destination players go to to get their career in order. Kassian's on the verge of fading out of the NHL completely.. he'll be happy playing beer league soon over in Europe.

Yeh... the attractive part about him was his age. Someone his age with his skillset is needed on the Oilers top 6 long term. Hopefully he overcomes his issues and makes a return to NHL but yeh it was a risk no GM was willing to take.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I hope gadzic is a nice human being and is pretty happy with his life. He's getting a yearly 6/49 from the oilers to skate around a tad and pick his nose

Must make a mean lasagna for Hall

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
3.3mil isn't relatively expensive. For a bottom pair it's not ideal, but if he is a top 4 that's a steal.

Like I said maybe injuries have hurt, but for a team who's PP needs help I think it would've been a relatively cheap pickup that could've paid dividends.

He's not a legit top-4 though. If he's in your top-4, you're looking to bump him down, in which case he becomes an expensive bottom pairing guy. Only way he makes sense is if your only alternative is a Ference or Gryba type and you have the space. And yes, he's had some good offensive seasons, but so has Schultz. Doesn't stop most of us wanting him off the team.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Schultz is on a 13 point pace and still has no defensive awareness, yet "we can't give up on him" apparently.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Personal issues aside, look at the Canucks forum and you see that Kassian has a good game where he competes maybe once every dozen games. On top of that he takes bad penalties and has a previously poor reputation with the current leaders of this team. This is a guy who's a long way from even sniffing a fourth line in this league any time soon.

And comparing him to Lander is an absolute joke, too. That kid has been the Rodney Dangerfield of this team all year long. He's been one of our go to penalty killers and is among the league leaders in face-offs. And the people openly crucifying Lander are likely the same ones trashing the Gordon trade all season long, who is currently driving Arizona's offense with all two assists he has.

You want to know who they should play at LW on the RNH-Eberle line once everyone's healthy? Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Duncan Keith was 25 when the Hawks made the playoffs for the first time with Kane and Toews and 26 when they won. So trading RNH for some diamond in the rough is a great idea if you want to make noise in 2019. In the meantime, you've squandered cheap years for McDavid and Drai and burned the most productive years for Hall just waiting for another 20-21 year old to develop all because there's apparently no other possible way to balance the roster.

So present other ways then.

The UFA route is hit and miss both from a perspective of getting players to come and whether the player will perform up to the contract. Drafting is a crap shoot that won't pay dividends until after your well after your supposed cut off date of Drai/Mcdavid's entry level deals(did I stumble off hfboards onto the Oiler blogs? :laugh:)

I would love to trade for a number one defenseman, but those guys simply aren't avaliable. You might be able to get one that has the potential if you overpay, but you aren't getting an established one that isn't aging or deeply flawed.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
So present other ways then.

What about trading lesser assets in a quantity for quality swap? It's been known to happen. How about offer sheets?

There's also the approach of D by committee, which seems more realistic given that there's only a handful of true superstar D in the league and most aren't available.

I would love to trade for a number one defenseman, but those guys simply aren't avaliable. You might be able to get one that has the potential if you overpay, but you aren't getting an established one that isn't aging or deeply flawed.

Which is what you're advocating here, so I'm a bit confused. I don't think trading an established player for a player with potential is a good use of the asset given the risk involved.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
What about trading lesser assets in a quantity for quality swap? It's been known to happen. How about offer sheets?

Sure, I'd do an RNH, Yakupov, Reinhart deal for OEL, of course I doubt you meant that :)

Offer sheets? Really?

There's also the approach of D by committee, which seems more realistic given that there's only a handful of true superstar D in the league and most aren't available.

Sure, have at it

I'd rather try to get one, or at least one that has the potential personally.

Which is what you're advocating here, so I'm a bit confused. I don't think trading an established player for a player with potential is a good use of the asset given the risk involved.

Letting the player languish behind superior options, deflating his own value over time isn't a good use of an asset either. Safe maybe, but not really all that smart when the team has gaping holes elsewhere long term.

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com
Yeh... the attractive part about him was his age. Someone his age with his skillset is needed on the Oilers top 6 long term. Hopefully he overcomes his issues and makes a return to NHL but yeh it was a risk no GM was willing to take.

Yah, it's not easy to pass up on a player like him, and I was almost expecting Chia wouldn't, but I'm glad he did. Wrong time for picking him up. For his sake though, I hope he gets his **** together though, because he's pissing away a potentially very good career out of stupidity. I'm not so sure I'd say it's no risk though. You never know what introducing that lifestyle to your roster can do....not that they're all innocent and naive to it or anything... I just think it's best to keep that away and not potentially send the message that the team is OK with that.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Offer sheets? Really?

Last i checked, that was still a tool available to NHL GMs whether they choose to utilize them or not.

Sure, have at it

I'd rather try to get one, or at least one that has the potential personally.

And how long are you willing to wait on potential? I'd rather throw big bucks at an establsihed UFA D and strikes sooner than later.

Letting the player languish behind superior options, deflating his own value over time isn't a good use of an asset either. Safe maybe, but not really all that smart when the team has gaping holes elsewhere long term

Not sure who is talking about that course of action.

McDeathbyCheerios*

One thing about Kassian. He has pretty much been hockey free for a few months. Even if we claimed him he would be a healthy scratch or bottom line guy for a while till he gets up to speed.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One thing about Kassian. He has pretty much been hockey free for a few months. Even if we claimed him he would be a healthy scratch or bottom line guy for a while till he gets up to speed.

I'm assuming teams want MTL to deal with him at the AHL level. If he can prove he's not an idiot and in game shape then someone probably takes him. At 1.75mil a lot of teams simply aren't going to waste their time.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Last i checked, that was still a tool available to NHL GMs whether they choose to utilize them or not.

That's precisely the point, the choose not to use it.

When they do, the player rarely moves anyways because teams would rather match, and the Oilers still come with the same issues as the UFA scene where players aren't that interested in the location/franchise. It simply isn't a viable way to look at filling in the holes on the roster.

And how long are you willing to wait on potential? I'd rather throw big bucks at an establsihed UFA D and strikes sooner than later.

As I pointed out earlier, not a reliable way to build a team, and comes with significant risk of crippling your cap if you bet on the wrong player.

Not sure who is talking about that course of action.

It's the end result of standing pat. There are only so many minutes to go around, and it's pretty clear Mcdavid/Drai will be dominating the center ice minutes for the foreseeable future.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
That's precisely the point, the choose not to use it.

When they do, the player rarely moves anyways because teams would rather match, and the Oilers still come with the same issues as the UFA scene where players aren't that interested in the location/franchise. It simply isn't a viable way to look at filling in the holes on the roster.

As I pointed out earlier, not a reliable way to build a team, and comes with significant risk of crippling your cap if you bet on the wrong player.

It's the end result of standing pat. There are only so many minutes to go around, and it's pretty clear Mcdavid/Drai will be dominating the center ice minutes for the foreseeable future.

They have used them recently though. Ryan O'Reilly and Shea Weber come to mind.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
They have used them recently though. Ryan O'Reilly and Shea Weber come to mind.

Yeah, I addressed that when I noted that teams prefer to match, even when faced with matching insane contracts like the ones Weber/RoR were offered.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Didn't Sather trade for MacT/sign him when he was in jail for killing someone?

I know Kassian seems like a dink but I think he's a decent third-line player with some substance problems, which aren't a big deal. Get him the help he needs and he's probably a productive NHL player.

I dunno, maybe I'm crazy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Didn't Sather trade for MacT/sign him when he was in jail for killing someone?

I know Kassian seems like a dink but I think he's a decent third-line player with some substance problems, which aren't a big deal. Get him the help he needs and he's probably a productive NHL player.

I dunno, maybe I'm crazy.

But they are a big issue as they are ongoing and resulted in himself getting hurt.

I'm all for taking guys on, but Kassian has shown nothing to say he has learned from his lesson. If he can go down to the AHL and show he's cleaned up then by all means make a play for him.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
IF we were going to take a chance on that type of risk, I would much rather the chance be taken on Mike Richards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad