Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXV: Season over. Still waiting to begin...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
I'm not sure why people get so worked up over a players decision to stay out of the limelight. These people have families and probably prefer to keep them away from the media as much as possible. There's nothing wrong with wanting to live a quiet, enjoyable life with your family while playing the game you love.

Some people really need to understand that hockey players are just human like you and I, some of them absolutely hate talking to media and just want to play the game.

This talk about wanting to ban them from international conversation is an embarrassment, get a grip on reality fellas.

I think there's another side to it - the multiple millions of dollars they make to "play the game they love" help compensate them for their "hardships".

For me - I'm with Vinnie. Would much rather be able to go out to the movies, grocery store or wherever and only have a person here and there recognize me than being mobbed everywhere I went.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I think there's another side to it - the multiple millions of dollars they make to "play the game they love" help compensate them for their "hardships".

For me - I'm with Vinnie. Would much rather be able to go out to the movies, grocery store or wherever and only have a person here and there recognize me than being mobbed everywhere I went.

Blocking shots, injuries, and travelling are the hardships. They are paid money because they play a sport that makes their owners way more than they do. The logic that their personality should be changed just because they are talented at a sport and get paid to play it is so flawed.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I'd gladly trade for Seguin. I know though their is going to be a bunch of people coming here saying Seguin sucks because last time I brought it up there were a lot of people opposed.

I look at it as he already has a few seasons of development under him, is talented, and probably has as much, if not more potential than a player available at 7.

Plus we likely won't have to see anymore threads about Hall vs Seguin. For that reason alone I'd make the trade :)

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Blocking shots, injuries, and travelling are the hardships. They are paid money because they play a sport that makes their owners way more than they do. The logic that their personality should be changed just because they are talented at a sport and get paid to play it is so flawed.

Agree to disagree I guess. In my opinion it's part and parcel of being in the entertainment industry. Athletes, musicians, actors all get compensated VERY well for what they do, and to varying degrees all of them end up giving up some freedoms for it. It's not like it's a surprise to them.

Traveling a hardship? Flying charter jets and staying in the finest hotels? Sell that somewhere else.

Injuries? People in all walks of life endure risks for what they do. The rate of pay is not commensurate with the risks.

edit: Who said anything about changing their personalities? If you can't handle being recognized in public, if it's such a big deal, you probably should have picked a different career, no?

Making their owners money? Sure - but most people working at jobs for other people make all kinds of money for the person signing their cheque.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
thefourthperiod.com is reporting that the oilers are close to a deal invloving horcoff

Edmonton Oilers GM Craig MacTavish has made it clear that he's looking to pull the trigger on a number of moves heading into Sunday's NHL Draft in New Jersey.
If the stars align, he could very well get his wish.

The Oilers are actively shopping centermen Shawn Horcoff and Sam Gagner, and right wing Ales Hemsky.
According to one source close to the organization, the Oilers are closing in on a deal involving Horcoff and "several others pieces will be swapped" as part of a trade.

Horcoff, 32, has two-years left on his six-year, $33 million contract. While his annual salary cap hit is $5.5 million, he's set to earn $4 million next season and $3 million in 2014-15.

Hemsky, 29, has only one-year left on his current contract. He has been shopped around for the last two seasons and it's believed there is a good chance he will not start the 2013-14 campaign in Edmonton.

Several teams, including the Detroit Red Wings, New York Islanders, New York Rangers and Ottawa Senators, are believed to be shown interest in Hemsky.

Contract negotiations between the Oilers and Gagner's agent have been moving forward, but TFP has learned a deal is not close and a trade could be on the horizon.

MacTavish has received a lot of interest in Gagner, but the Oilers are set on upgrading their blueline and would require a top-young blueliner as part of any deal for Gagner.

The Oilers had been linked to Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle, though it's uncertain if the two teams have spoken recently.

Gagner, 23, is scheduled to become a restricted free agent July 5.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/edm130628.html

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Or IF COL really is taking Mackinnon, 7th++ for Duchene?

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Duchene, despite his obvious puck skills.

He didn't seem to mesh well at all with Hall and Eberle at the Worlds, and has always struck me as a player that's a bit of a puck hog that wastes the talents of his linemates.

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
The article also says that Horcoff may be moved with "other pieces" which sounds great! I'd like to see them bundle some of their prospects they have no interest in signing - ie Teubert, Omark, etc. Lots of value lost these last two years.

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
I'm not sure why everyone wants to trade the 7th overall. The Oil are finally in a position for playoffs and a great run with young players. Let's not mortgage the future for one year. There are lots of current players on the roster that could be moved for depth players. Moving a first rounder is never a wise idea. At pick #7, they are likely a play maker with a 10 year future. Move the rest of the baggage we have first.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I just know that Horcoff is going to burn the team to the very last moment he is here. I can't wait to see the return we get for the guy.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
I'd gladly trade for Seguin. I know though their is going to be a bunch of people coming here saying Seguin sucks because last time I brought it up there were a lot of people opposed.

I look at it as he already has a few seasons of development under him, is talented, and probably has as much, if not more potential than a player available at 7.

Plus we likely won't have to see anymore threads about Hall vs Seguin. For that reason alone I'd make the trade :)

Honestly, from personal experience I can tell you that Seguin doesn't have a commitment to the game (off-ice) to ever be a star in this league.

The difference between him and hall isn't talent or skill. It's commitment to the game and doing the little things needed to become the best players they can.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
I read a blurb from a Boston writer about Seguin maybe being available (form the team that traded an in his prime JT and 21 year old 36 goal scorer Kessel).

I doubt he is - but IF he was, would something like 7th+Paajarvi+Marincin be close? I'm guessing Bruins fans would say not even close, but then again I never though SturmStuart+Primeau was anywhere close to value for JT, and Thornton had already put up over 100 points when he was traded.

2 GMs that aren't afraid of big deals: Chiarelli and Holmgren.

The news that Seguin has a hip problem that may be congenital has me concerned. I'd look into this real closely before making any deal for him.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
@TIOPS_DePaoli 12h
Can confirm Letang's agent Kent Hughes countered the Penguins 8 year, $54 million offer, asking for 8 years, $62.5 million/ full NTC
Retweeted by James Mirtle

Given Shero's history, Letang is gone.
Anaheim is interested from twitter last night and they have the pieces to put together a package....Gibson, Fowler, Etem, Smith-Pelley, Rakell, etc.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Honestly, from personal experience I can tell you that Seguin doesn't have a commitment to the game (off-ice) to ever be a star in this league.

The difference between him and hall isn't talent or skill. It's commitment to the game and doing the little things needed to become the best players they can.

Doesn't surprise me. Tambo's epic quote in the finale of Oil Change 1: We'll take the guy who loves hockey.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
@TIOPS_DePaoli 12h
Can confirm Letang's agent Kent Hughes countered the Penguins 8 year, $54 million offer, asking for 8 years, $62.5 million/ full NTC
Retweeted by James Mirtle

Given Shero's history, Letang is gone.
Anaheim is interested from twitter last night and they have the pieces to put together a package....Gibson, Fowler, Etem, Smith-Pelley, Rakell, etc.

ANA has the money to do this?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I know we've been talking about possible trades, if you want some laughs, Leafs fans figure that Phaneuf, #21 and some prospect would net PRV and #7 :biglaugh:

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Agree to disagree I guess. In my opinion it's part and parcel of being in the entertainment industry. Athletes, musicians, actors all get compensated VERY well for what they do, and to varying degrees all of them end up giving up some freedoms for it. It's not like it's a surprise to them.

Traveling a hardship? Flying charter jets and staying in the finest hotels? Sell that somewhere else.

Injuries? People in all walks of life endure risks for what they do. The rate of pay is not commensurate with the risks.

edit: Who said anything about changing their personalities? If you can't handle being recognized in public, if it's such a big deal, you probably should have picked a different career, no?

Making their owners money? Sure - but most people working at jobs for other people make all kinds of money for the person signing their cheque.

Most musicians and actors live in places like New York, LA, London, etc where they are not hounded so badly. Some live in really small communities where the locals are inured to them being there so they are left alone. Athletes don't get those options.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I don't buy it. Because you're good at playing hockey does not mean people have the 'right' to treat you like crap and invade your privacy.

I don't blame players for playing in low-key markets. I'd probably choose to do so myself.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't buy it. Because you're good at playing hockey does not mean people have the 'right' to treat you like crap and invade your privacy.

I don't blame players for playing in low-key markets. I'd probably choose to do so myself.

The key thing to remember with respect to this, is when given the opportunity, people can be (and likely ARE) terrible animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad