Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXV: Season over. Still waiting to begin...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
You sure it doesn't have to do anything with income tax?

I know they pay next to zero for income tax in FLA....

Doubtful it's a tax issue.

Players in NY state and California would definitely both have higher marginal rates than in AB. That's six of the 23 US teams. Probably higher in Massachusetts.

Lecavalier stated prior to the season that he didn't want to play in Montreal because there would be too much pressure. There's a lot of pressure in all the Canadian markets because fans are so passionate about their teams.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Hilarious bitterness about a guy who doesn't want to sign in Canada.

Suddenly it's **** you. Or that he's lazy. Or that he should be banned from international events.

Consider his family; suddenly uprooting after 15 years in Tampa is hard.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Call me crazy but I have no interest in Lecavalier. He's got his ring, he's got his money and its all but guaranteed that he's back in TB next year. He'd want 5+
and would probably coast through the season. I would much rather work on strengthening the bottom six with guys like Peverley, Bolland and Cutterbuck. Hell, if we could bring Penner back and get his game back to where it was before the trade, I'd rather bring him in for 2.5m.

Not a huge Lecavalier fan, if we're gonna pay a premium on players, there are better options out there.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Vinnie ain't comin' here. Or anywhere in Canada.

In fact, I doubt we'll get a big name buyout at all.

I doubt we'll get any big fish too. I'm hoping we can snag a top 6 dman though, or some bottom 6 help. Definitely possible that someone in that role gets bought out if their cap hit is too much.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Hilarious bitterness about a guy who doesn't want to sign in Canada.

Suddenly it's **** you. Or that he's lazy. Or that he should be banned from international events.

Consider his family; suddenly uprooting after 15 years in Tampa is hard.
Suddenly? Realistically, Lecavalier's been on the block for a long time and he should have been prepared for this.

This "I don't want to sign in Canada" stuff has been building steadily amongst CANADIAN born players over the past ten years or so and personally I think that it's become a huge problem. A problem that has been largely over-looked while we at home continue to worship them as heroes and proverbial gods. I don't know where hockey players, Canadian hockey players got this... selfless, down to earth reputation from, but in my opinion it's undeserved.

Anyway, I've got no interest in his lazy ass but I'm sorry, this bothers me.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Yup I think Nash also said he doesn't want to play in Canada either. Canadians who don't want to play in their country but want to represent them? Makes no sense and I hope they never play for Canada again.

:laugh:

Imagine the pressure on a guy like that playing in a Canadian city? If he can choose not too, that's his right. Doesn't mean he's not proud of where he's from, just means he would prefer to live his life free of the media ****show that is Canadian hockey media.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Suddenly? Realistically, Lecavalier's been on the block for a long time and he should have been prepared for this.

This "I don't want to sign in Canada" stuff has been building steadily amongst CANADIAN born players over the past ten years or so and personally I think that it's become a huge problem. A problem that has been largely over-looked while we at home continue to worship them as heroes and proverbial gods. I don't know where hockey players, Canadian hockey players got this... selfless, down to earth reputation from, but in my opinion it's undeserved.

Anyway, I've got no interest in his lazy ass but I'm sorry, this bothers me.

He had a NMC.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Call me crazy but I have no interest in Lecavalier. He's got his ring, he's got his money and its all but guaranteed that he's back in TB next year. He'd want 5+
and would probably coast through the season. I would much rather work on strengthening the bottom six with guys like Peverley, Bolland and Cutterbuck. Hell, if we could bring Penner back and get his game back to where it was before the trade, I'd rather bring him in for 2.5m.

Not a huge Lecavalier fan, if we're gonna pay a premium on players, there are better options out there.

Lecavalier is trending down at 33. Unless he plays really inspired hockey on a new team for a season or two, he'll be a 40-55 point guy next season, but he's no longer the 92-108 point guy that he once was. I'd have a hard time signing him for 5 M for 3 years, which is probably what he'll command on the open market, although he may choose location and cup potential over financial considerations after a buy-out for a gazillion $$$.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton

Imagine the pressure on a guy like that playing in a Canadian city? If he can choose not too, that's his right. Doesn't mean he's not proud of where he's from, just means he would prefer to live his life free of the media ****show that is Canadian hockey media.
And in my opinion that's an indictment on professional hockey players. Athletes in other sports don't shun the spotlight and look to disappear and make their millions. They want the attention and responsibilities. They thrive on it.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I doubt we'll get any big fish too. I'm hoping we can snag a top 6 dman though, or some bottom 6 help. Definitely possible that someone in that role gets bought out if their cap hit is too much.

The only big-ish fish UFA I want is Ference, he's not re-signing in Boston and the opportunity to move back home could be appealing and with Calgary seemingly dismantling their team we should look more appealing than them. I think we would need to offer him a 3 year term to get him to sign here which is probably one year too many, but I'd still be willing to do it, he's the right kind of veteran presence to help push this team forward.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
Brad May is reporting that Lecavalier doesn't want to sign anywhere in Canada.

Call me petty but I'd seriously ban guys like this from representing Canada at international events. For life. Seriously. The guy's options are probably limited with the salary that he wants (reportedly 5 million per) and he rules out 7 options?

EDIT: It's not likely that Vinnie will get an invite for the Olympics ever again anyway.

This would be one of those unenforceable rules. For starters, Vinny would just say Brad May is out to lunch, and that he just happened to prefer the NYR offer or whoever he chooses to sign with. Even right now when there are no formal consequences, you don't see LeCavalier and the like officially announcing that he doesn't want to play in Canada, it always comes out through back channels. If you come up with a rule for this, then LeCavalier may try to make sure that nothing comes out through the media, or he may just deny anything that the Brad Mays of the word report (I'm sure Brad doesn't have any real evidence), and then magically happen to sign for one of the US teams - to be expected, of course, since there's 3 times as many of those. :sarcasm:

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
i lol so hard at all these teams buying out players that had ridiculous contracts. hopefully that ll teach them a lesson about throwing money out like candy.

but lets be honest, no one will learn a thing

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The only big-ish fish UFA I want is Ference, he's not re-signing in Boston and the opportunity to move back home could be appealing and with Calgary seemingly dismantling their team we should look more appealing than them. I think we would need to offer him a 3 year term to get him to sign here which is probably one year too many, but I'd still be willing to do it, he's the right kind of veteran presence to help push this team forward.

Ference is an interesting option. Although he is a bit on the small side. Might be worth 3 years $2.5M AAV. A small raise for a guy entering the twilight of his career.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

The media in NY is terrible so I don't think that should be an excuse
I don't get these Canadian players who refuse to play for Canadian teams. I find that to be a disgrace to our country. No wonder a Canadian team hasn't won the cup in ages. Our own damn players don't want to play for us :shakehead
Oh yeah, forgot to say **** you heatley and **** you pronger. Did I miss anyone?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Just when a guy starts to not hate Leaf fans, two trade threads, and a bunch of polls pop up. Those threads on the main boards are some of the most embarrassing things I've seen on this board. If anyone ever wondered why Leaf fans get picked on, on HF, just go read those threads. Holy effin' moly, it's infuriating seeing the amount of arrogance, ignorance, and outright hostility going on there. I hope when we make the playoffs our fans stay classy and remember where we were a very short time prior.

I keep seeing Nuck fans defend Oilers players in those threads too. I don't know what has been going on lately, but a lot of Nuck fans have been sticking up for our guys over the last while. What a strange, strange, world man.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Just when a guy starts to not hate Leaf fans, two trade threads, and a bunch of polls pop up. Those threads on the main boards are some of the most embarrassing things I've seen on this board. If anyone ever wondered why Leaf fans get picked on, on HF, just go read those threads. Holy effin' moly, it's infuriating seeing the amount of arrogance, ignorance, and outright hostility going on there. I hope when we make the playoffs our fans stay classy and remember where we were a very short time prior.

I keep seeing Nuck fans defend Oilers players in those threads too. I don't know what has been going on lately, but a lot of Nuck fans have been sticking up for our guys over the last while. What a strange, strange, world man.

It's probably because Nucks fans see Gagner a lot more than T.O fans
You would think that Gardiner is Bobby Orr based on what the leafs fans have been saying on the main board. 7th + Petry for Gardiner? The guy was in the AHL for a good portion of the season :laugh:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It's probably because Nucks fans see Gagner a lot more than T.O fans
You would think that Gardiner is Bobby Orr based on what the leafs fans have been saying on the main board. 7th + Petry for Gardiner? The guy was in the AHL for a good portion of the season :laugh:

Saw one post with Eberle and RNH on the Leafs third line and Yan Stastny as their second line centre.

I think deluded is the best description.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Evidently Kadri is better than RNH. **** me.

Statistically Kadri was better than RNH this year but RNH was playing with one shoulder. I bet in a couple of years they will be eating crow after RNH tears it up with his brand new shoulder :yo:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Saw one post with Eberle and RNH on the Leafs third line and Yan Stastny as their second line centre.

I think deluded is the best description.

They obviously have never watched the Oilers. Probably go to bed before we even play :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad