Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXV: Season over. Still waiting to begin...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Any scenario in which the Oilers draft 7th, IMO, is a poor one for the Oilers.

It is, by far, the best and most expendable asset. It's something we don't need, no matter who's available (save the clear top-4, who won't be there) but can be used to secure legitimate NHL impact players.

Eberle, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Schultz and Yakupov will not be moved. Gagner will probably re-sign soon. This leaves you with Petry, Klefbom and an assortment of lesser assets to acquire two or three meaningful players. Not good enough.

He has to be aggressively hunting down an impact player for that pick.

Any scenario where we are not picking one of Barkov, Monahan or Lindholm IMO is a major fail. I'd sooner move Gagner now before we are tied down with a boat anchor contract with a poor defensive center that is bad on draws and is the smallest or at least weakest player in our top 6. Pick the center at 5 or 7, move Gagner, acquire Peverley for 3rd line duties, acquire Umberger for 2nd line duties, and upgrade at 4C as well. When the 5th or 7th overall pick is ready to enter the NHL Umberger moves to wing. Keeping Gagner at a bloated price and passing on in all likelihood grittier, stronger and better defensive players than he is is a recipe for long term disaster.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's interesting seeing people pencilling our 7th overall pick into next year's lineup.

I'd be really disappointed if our team is bad enough at the start of the season that we need to rush another rookie onto it.

Yep and penciling Lecavalier and Smith into the lineup and disappointed that MacT hasn't announced trades yet. The board has gone looney but that's usually the case around this time of year and posters are dying for some Oilers news so I guess I can understand the insanity.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And yet, adding Pominville would help the Oilers far less than adding Bolland.

So you'd be fine bending over and handing that asking price to Chicago for Bolland? Also while I agree that we need bottom 6 players more-so than top 6, Pominville is an iron man and puts up points at a good clip. Having him play RW and having Nail play LW would have a bigger impact on our club in terms of having 2 very solid scoring lines than having Bolland in our lineup 80% of the time. Either way you don't make that kind of a trade for Bolland unless he is the last piece to a Stanley Cup contending team and even then that's a steep price to pay.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Any scenario where we are not picking one of Barkov, Monahan or Lindholm IMO is a major fail. I'd sooner move Gagner now before we are tied down with a boat anchor contract with a poor defensive center that is bad on draws and is the smallest or at least weakest player in our top 6. Pick the center at 5 or 7, move Gagner, acquire Peverley for 3rd line duties, acquire Umberger for 2nd line duties, and upgrade at 4C as well. When the 5th or 7th overall pick is ready to enter the NHL Umberger moves to wing. Keeping Gagner at a bloated price and passing on in all likelihood grittier, stronger and better defensive players than he is is a recipe for long term disaster.

Two problems:

1) Gagner is not being traded, so most of your hypothesis doesn't really merge with the reality. Nice to have an opinion, but it's already been ignored.

2) Significantly overrating Monahan and Lindholm, which, apart from being 2-3 years away - are far from guaranteed impact talent and will arrive FAR too late to matter for the Oilers.

They need proven NHL talent now. I will consider the draft at 7th a major pot-hole for this team's ability to compete moving forward, and only an unprecedentedly successful UFA season will have the power to change that.

Trade the damned pick.

So you'd be fine bending over and handing that asking price to Chicago for Bolland? Also while I agree that we need bottom 6 players more-so than top 6, Pominville is an iron man and puts up points at a good clip. Having him play RW and having Nail play LW would have a bigger impact on our club in terms of having 2 very solid scoring lines than having Bolland in our lineup 80% of the time. Either way you don't make that kind of a trade for Bolland unless he is the last piece to a Stanley Cup contending team and even then that's a steep price to pay.

It's making a soft group, softer.

Jason Pominville is the last type of player the Oilers need to add and Bolland is virtually the leagues best option with the Oilers second biggest hole.

I would trade the 2014 pick and assets for him. I wouldn't trade the 7th pick.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
And yet, adding Pominville would help the Oilers far less than adding Bolland.

Giving Chicago a Pominville type of return for Bolland would be an inexplicably bad deal for the Oilers. I would question MacT's sanity if he made that deal.
I don't know how any Oiler fan would be in favor of such a deal. It seems that you don't value draft picks too highly at all so I guess you would be in favor of overpaying greatly for mediocre players.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
A lot of hyperbole on this topic imo BBO. We don't know that Gagner is getting a boat anchor deal.

For all the bad deals the Oilers have handed out, only two could really be considered bloated, and in the case of Souray's deal I'd argue he could have lived up to that deal if things had transpired differently off ice. So Horcoff then. Do you honestly believe the Oilers are going to give Gagner a seven year deal with a $5.5 caphit? C'mon, that's never going to happen.

The Flames just traded for Jones. Twenty eight years old. Seventy goals in 270 NHL games and a career minus 33. Oh yeah, his caphit is $4 million and he had three goals last year. But I guess he plays with some "grit" so that's what's important.

Gagner at $4.5 million caphit is eminently moveable. Lets try to focus on not making the team worse for next season and not worry about boat anchor deals that haven't been handed out yet.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Must be kind of annoying to be Bolland right now. The guy just wins the Cup for his team and the day after they're talking about trading him. Probably puts a damper on the celebrations.

Ugh. I was hoping for trades by now... I really hope this all doesn't turn into "Oh don't worry, MacT will just make his moves at the draft", then "Oh don't worry, MacT is just waiting for free agency to start". Gimme something already, Craig!

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Giving Chicago a Pominville type of return for Bolland would be an inexplicably bad deal for the Oilers. I would question MacT's sanity if he made that deal.
I don't know how any Oiler fan would be in favor of such a deal. It seems that you don't value draft picks too highly at all so I guess you would be in favor of overpaying greatly for mediocre players.

Say Bolland came along with someone like Leddy? Does that make it a bit better?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Two problems:

1) Gagner is not being traded, so most of your hypothesis doesn't really merge with the reality. Nice to have an opinion, but it's already been ignored.

2) Significantly overrating Monahan and Lindholm, which, apart from being 2-3 years away - are far from guaranteed impact talent and will arrive FAR too late to matter for the Oilers.

They need proven NHL talent now. I will consider the draft at 7th a major pot-hole for this team's ability to compete moving forward, and only an unprecedentedly successful UFA season will have the power to change that.

Trade the damned pick.

1) He hasn't been signed yet so until he is, I think that there's a possibility that he moves and IMO you should be prepared tom cover all angles.

2) Really? When it's insinuated that in most draft years these guys would be top 5 picks? Both are much bigger than Gagner, both are know for two way play, and both are known to be solid on faceoffs. I like our odds of them being better than Gagner in those aspects of their games within 2-3 years than the odds that Gagner ends up besting them in those areas by then. Also of note if we don't need their services in that time would could move them like Lombardi did with Schenn to get a Richards type return then. Unless we can get that return now I wouldn't be trading the pick just for the sake of it that is piss poor asset management.

We do need proven talent now, that's what we have 2-2nd's, next year's 1st and 2nd, Musil, Gagner and Hemsky for.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If I had the choice, I'd much rather make the pick than trade it.

My worry is that MacTavish overvalues "immediate help" and sacrifices value in a trade just to fill a spot on the roster.

Karsa Orlong

Knight of chains
May 6, 2012
Edmonton
Since he has been way out of the picture, it's been awhile since i really looked at Lecavalier, but damn he is still very good.

Faced the toughest comp of any forward on TBL this year, positive corsi, and producing as a borderline 1st liner. He is still pretty physical, and wins faceoffs. To me this should be priority number one, if he is willing to come here don't squabble on cost, just do it.

Most of the MSM have been saying he is not a fit because of his age, but i think that is BS. Gagner is the oldest player in our top 6, why the ******* are we not trying to add this exact type of player? Just imagine what these kids can learn from a former 1st overall pick that has won the cup. With Horc and Hemsky on the way out we need to add a few vets anyways.

I know it is a very long shot for him to sign here, but i think he would be perfect.

Hall - Lecavalier - Eberle
Literally i could play here and it would still be awesome - Nuge - Yakupov

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
More from Dreger:

The Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs are eager to make change and both Dave Nonis and Craig MacTavish are working hard to do just that. Neither wants to disrupt their young core, but both are willing to consider just about anything to address their needs.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=426478

Kind of makes me excited and nervous all at the same time. The more deals that fall apart, the more desperate MacT will become to complete one, that scares me a touch.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Say Bolland came along with someone like Leddy? Does that make it a bit better?

Absolutely but it will cost a lot more than what Pominville returned.
I would guess that the 7th would be in play if it was Leddy+Bolland.
I'd rather just stay at 7 or move up and get that much needed center that we need but Leddy+Bolland would be an intriguing package.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Yup, if that's what it took to get him here.

I mean, I don't watch the Lightning enough so I'd probably give some people who do a call and talk a bit about TB's problems and what role Lecavalier played behind the scenes that led to such crappy regular seasons despite such powerful talent up front.

But aside from due diligence, he seems like something this team (and many others) could desperately need.

The problem with Lecavalier wasn't his salary, it was his term. So any deal that shaves off term as well as cap figure makes him a lot more attractive.

So 5x5 for a guy who's going to push 30 goals and 60 points for at least the next couple seasons while adding some strength and gumption up the middle?

That's easy.

But I'd rather give him a 3 year term that approaches 6 million a season. Maybe even exceeds it.

I think that's what Toronto will do.

Looking at the figures I would think it is both term and salary. He was due to make 13mil,13mil,12mil over the next three seasons. If term was the only issue and they were happy with his play why wouldn't they have waited till next summer to compliance him? I think it amounts to around a $10mil in actual payroll savings each year for the next few seasons. That is large for a team like Tampa, On the down side they'll be making payments to him for years after the next oilers dynasty has run its coarse:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's making a soft group, softer.

Jason Pominville is the last type of player the Oilers need to add and Bolland is virtually the leagues best option with the Oilers second biggest hole.

I would trade the 2014 pick and assets for him. I wouldn't trade the 7th pick.

I already said that we need bottom 6 help more than top 6, that said I still wouldn't pay near that much for Bolland. The 2014 1st for a guy 1 year from UFA? Really that's a good deal for you? And what other assets I'd like to know? You want to blow your whole wad on a 3C that has had injury issues and was a 4th liner on a cup winning team? Yikes.

We'd be giving up most of our currency for Bolland and leaving next to nothing left to make moves for other players in key roles. Horrible, horrible asset management IMO.

A lot of hyperbole on this topic imo BBO. We don't know that Gagner is getting a boat anchor deal.

For all the bad deals the Oilers have handed out, only two could really be considered bloated, and in the case of Souray's deal I'd argue he could have lived up to that deal if things had transpired differently off ice. So Horcoff then. Do you honestly believe the Oilers are going to give Gagner a seven year deal with a $5.5 caphit? C'mon, that's never going to happen.

The Flames just traded for Jones. Twenty eight years old. Seventy goals in 270 NHL games and a career minus 33. Oh yeah, his caphit is $4 million and he had three goals last year. But I guess he plays with some "grit" so that's what's important.

Gagner at $4.5 million caphit is eminently moveable. Lets try to focus on not making the team worse for next season and not worry about boat anchor deals that haven't been handed out yet.

$4.5 is a slight overpay IMO, anything pushing $5 million is ridiculous. He allegedly turned down 4 @ $4.5 million, if so I'm not liking where this is heading.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Real_ESPNLeBrun
Hearing that Letang camp informed Penguins earlier tonight that they were turning down an 8-year contract offer worth around $56 million. Whether more contract talks are coming or whether Pens put Letang on trade market remains to be seen...

Turned down 8 years at "around" 7M/year.

Yikes, that's hardball.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If I had the choice, I'd much rather make the pick than trade it.

My worry is that MacTavish overvalues "immediate help" and sacrifices value in a trade just to fill a spot on the roster.

Agreed it has to be a damn good player with a lot of tread left on the tires and at a reasonable cap hit if we are moving an asset like this.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Real_ESPNLeBrun
Hearing that Letang camp informed Penguins earlier tonight that they were turning down an 8-year contract offer worth around $56 million. Whether more contract talks are coming or whether Pens put Letang on trade market remains to be seen...

Yikes, that's hardball.
:help: Ridiculous.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Real_ESPNLeBrun

Yikes, that's hardball.

Holy crap. Either he doesn't want to be a Pen anymore, or he's got a massively inflated self-worth. I mean, I dig the guy, but there's still a serious question as to whether or not he's a Norris-calibre defenseman on a different team.

I know this is the crazy time, but is anybody really willing to pony up the Pens asking price in trade and THEN pay him that dollar amount?

I hope it's not us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad