Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXV: Season over. Still waiting to begin...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
For me personally, the LH shot Coburn fits better since we have Schultz and Petry, but I think Boychuk is the better player.

I would go with Boychuk and hope one of them can play the left side.

I know both play the right side even though Coburn is a LS. Don't see how there would be a problem if we decided to switch him to the left side but who knows.

Even if Coburn and Boychuk prefer the right side, I don't have a problem with Schultz starting in the bottom pairing if we can get one of these guys

Craig MacAtaracts

Visually...
Mar 11, 2013
Some food for thought.

I'm rounding for simplicity but the Oilers took roughly 60 face offs per game this year. Of those they won on average 46% of them.

If they got to 50% they would win 2 more per game. If they were the best in the league at 56% they would win 6 more than they did.

I don't know but to me that seems to indicate that face offs aren't that important.

Also as anecdotal evidence I feel like the Oilers are pretty bad as a team winning scrambled draws. Which is less about centre men and more about the wingers.

I agree, we probably have the worst support from our wingers in the entire league.

It's like when you tie up a guy in NHL 13 and your wingers are frozen in their position until the other team's wingers stroll in and pick up the puck with ease.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Hmm, I don't know how I feel about that comparison.

Bolland is great and average in defensive play and faceoffs respectively.
Belanger is great and poor in defensive play and faceoffs respectively.

What if you had somebody more like... bah, **** if I know, too hard to think at this point of the day :p:

Bolland is great and average
Schmo is average and great

I think I'd probably lean more towards Schmo than Bolland - you get the puck and, to an extent, get to dictate what's going on and you force the other team to try and get the puck.

Bolland is great at defense but the time spent trying to get the puck is time spent without possession and time the opposition doesn't have to worry about the puck going in its net.

Edit: I did see that you said Belanger was an extreme example so I was just trying to even up the playing field with a player who I couldn't think of off the top of my head :)

You make it sound like a team wins a faceoff and never gives the puck up for the rest of the game. Even the best possession teams have to go out and get the puck in non-faceoff situations, defensive systems themselves are based around tactics to out-man and retrieve possession(neutral zone trap = forcing turnovers and retrieving possession).

Faceoffs are nice, but considering the Oilers are just going to lose the puck the second they get it anyways, having players who can consistently win puck battles outside of the faceoff circle while improving the team's ability to hang onto the puck a bit longer would be a lot better.

Bolland helps with that.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
well we have Smid\N.Schultz\Belov\Klefbom\Marincin\Musil\Gernat all LDs
Throw in Peckham and Fistric too if you want ...

I only consider one of those guys proven top 4 guys.

Coburn would play ahead of all of them next other than Smid IMO.

You are right though, as far as what's coming down the pipeline we are stocked on the left side if 1-2 of them develop properly.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
You make it sound like a team wins a faceoff and never gives the puck up for the rest of the game. Even the best possession teams have to go out and get the puck in non-faceoff situations, defensive systems themselves are based around tactics to out-man and retrieve possession(neutral zone trap = forcing turnovers and retrieving possession).

Faceoffs are nice, but considering the Oilers are just going to lose the puck the second they get it anyways, having players who can consistently win puck battles outside of the faceoff circle while improving the team's ability to hang onto the puck a bit longer would be a lot better.

Bolland helps with that.

Ahh, that's not my intention, I'm just trying to say that I'd rather have the puck to lose in the first place instead of starting off by trying to get the puck back.

I like the defensive prowess that we'd get with Bolland, I just wish he had another element that we're lacking (be it faceoffs or physicality).

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
Good things come to those who wait. Right Tambo?

You know there are 27 other teams that haven't made a trade as of yet, right?

I'd rather MacT take his time and get us the best offer available instead of jumping on the first trade offer in an effort to appear like he's doing something.

Agent Zero

Jan 21, 2006
EDM
Clarkson, Clutterbuck and Bolland changes the dynamics of this line-up.

Hall_Gagner_Eberle
Clarkson-RNH-Yakupov
Paajrvi-Bolland-Clutterbuck
Jones-Smyth-Brown

duul

Jun 21, 2010
You know there are 27 other teams that haven't made a trade as of yet, right?

I'd rather MacT take his time and get us the best offer available instead of jumping on the first trade offer in an effort to appear like he's doing something.

I am speaking to the users here who are discontent with no trades so far, after I had brought up that we have at least 1 trade already set in place.

Good things did come to Tambo, in the form of 1st overall picks. We would be in a worse situation than we are right now if we were actively trying to make the playoffs. See the Flames.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Props to Cornkicker who bet that Schultz would out produce Gardiner next year. I think it's kind of funny how Schultz put up 48 points in 34 AHL games and 27 NHL points isn't worth a guy who put up 4 NHL points and 31 AHL points in 9 more AHL games.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
If we have to get rid of some sort of 2nd round pick for Clutterbuck, I'd honestly much rather go for Viktor Stalberg as a UFA.

He's the perfect 2nd line LW or 3rd line RW, depending on how we want to use him.

Only thing to worry about is 0 goals in the playoffs, but I think he'll be fine.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 1m

Alex Tanguay and Cory Sarich traded to #Avs for David Jones and Shane O'Brien @Kent_Wilson

Finally it starts...

Flames going to follow in our footsteps then it seems. I swear Feaster said something about doing that a while back...

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Well, this is rather disappointing.. not a single trade since the Stanley Cup was won! Booo, Go be bold MacT.

Spoke a little too soon.

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 57s
@JoshRimerHockey: Breaking News!!! The #Flames have acquired David Jones & Shane O'Brien from the #Avalanche for Cory Sarich & Alex Tanguay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad