Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXV: Season over. Still waiting to begin...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
His soul.

If only I could photoshop MacT's face

shangt.jpg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The asking price isn't even for any roster players or high prospects, yet people hate the idea.

How we going to get any better if we want to hold onto everyone.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like Bolland but lets not get crazy here...

3 key elements to an elite 3rd line checker:

1) Winning faceoffs....Bolland is brutal in the dot.
2) Playing good 2-way hockey....okay he's got that covered.
3) Good size....nope.

1. If you have 2, 1 doesn't matter.
3. Not how big you are it's how you use your size.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I definitely don't think it's an overrated stat.

If you're not winning the puck in your own zone, it's a defensive liability.

If you're not winning the puck in the offensive zone, you're giving up a chance for possession and shots on net.

If you're spending the whole game trying to get the puck back, you're not going to have success.

CHI was one of the worse playoff teams for faceoffs, seems to me they did not bad.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The asking price isn't even for any roster players or high prospects, yet people hate the idea.

How we going to get any better if we want to hold onto everyone.

This. I've said earlier that there's way too much loyalty and attachment to some specific players on the team and that'll ultimate hinder any advancement-an issue that applies to both fanbase and management IMO

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This. I've said earlier that there's way too much loyalty and attachment to some specific players on the team and that'll ultimate hinder any advancement-an issue that applies to both fanbase and management IMO

Agreed, some posters/fans are way to attached to the players. We need to get better, to do that we'll have to give up players we like. On a side note just seen that Cooke is a UFA. We could put together the ultimate troll line with Cooke-Lapierre-Clutterbuck. We'd get so many penalties drawn from those 3 being on the ice talking smack.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
All the games they won against Boston they were hovering around 50% (with the exception of the last game).

When Boston was beating them, their FO% was worse.

Doesn't matter, they were a less than 50% club for most of the playoffs and still got to the show.

If you can play smart hockey faceoffs don't matter as much. Unfortunately for us we don't have enough smart hockey players.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I wonder why the Oilers would STILL be waiting to announce these three trades? :sarcasm:

its funny, seems like this happens so often. Somebody says something will happen, most laugh but a few come a long and say, wait it is legit, this guy predicted so and so in the past. Turns out it is just some nobody who made a lucky prediction in the past.

any way, we shall never learn lol

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Depending on who you listen to face offs are of varying importance. PBP and Colour guys talk about how important it is for possession. However I've seen some stats guys discuss how there isn't a strong correlation between face offs and goals or any of the more important stats.

As for Bolland I think he will be overvalued in a trade so I hope MacT stays away

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I definitely don't think it's an overrated stat.

If you're not winning the puck in your own zone, it's a defensive liability.

If you're not winning the puck in the offensive zone, you're giving up a chance for possession and shots on net.

If you're spending the whole game trying to get the puck back, you're not going to have success.

It's overrated.

Being able to obtain possession when your team doesn't have the puck, and being able to maintain possession when you do have the puck is more important than faceoffs.

Having good faceoff players doesn't even help you that much anymore as your go-to guy will usually get thrown out by fussy linesmen anyways.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
Doesn't matter, they were a less than 50% club for most of the playoffs and still got to the show.

If you can play smart hockey faceoffs don't matter as much. Unfortunately for us we don't have enough smart hockey players.

What do you mean it doesn't matter? We were just arguing the validity of the faceoff stat which I directly correlated to playoff wins.

Not to mention they were top in the league for faceoff % in the regular season, which I'm sure has nothing to do with how well they finished...

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
It's overrated.

Being able to obtain possession when your team doesn't have the puck, and being able to maintain possession when you do have the puck is more important than faceoffs.

Having good faceoff players doesn't even help you that much anymore as your go-to guy will usually get thrown out by fussy linesmen anyways.

Is this not something that involves faceoffs?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What do you mean it doesn't matter? We were just arguing the validity of the faceoff stat which I directly correlated to playoff wins.

Not to mention they were top in the league for faceoff % in the regular season, which I'm sure has nothing to do with how well they finished...

Don't make crap up. Potentially one of the easiest stats to lookup. They were 11th. TB and COL were better than them.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
Don't make crap up. Potentially one of the easiest stats to lookup. They were 11th. TB and COL were better than them.

Whoops, my bad - hit the Faceoffs thing but didn't filter :shakehead

Yes, there were 2 non-playoff teams better than them but the majority of the teams around them and above them were all playoff teams.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Out of respect for Vinny Lecavalier MacT decided to put off the trade announcements once again.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Some food for thought.

I'm rounding for simplicity but the Oilers took roughly 60 face offs per game this year. Of those they won on average 46% of them.

If they got to 50% they would win 2 more per game. If they were the best in the league at 56% they would win 6 more than they did.

I don't know but to me that seems to indicate that face offs aren't that important.

Also as anecdotal evidence I feel like the Oilers are pretty bad as a team winning scrambled draws. Which is less about centre men and more about the wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad