Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Current Rumor: Cam Talbot

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
you cant mother all the players. i like schultz but i dont want to develop four dmen. i dont have time. nurse and klef are better priorities. younger. higher grade. more complete.
schultz has never been the guy to shut teams down. klef and nurse show that AND offensive ability.

the OILERS can not survive or move forward while supporting green players with MORE green players.
pick who you want to teach.
if you want to keep schultz fine...trade klef or nurse because they are already passing schultz and are more complete packages.
choose wisely.
Perhaps MacT shouldn't have hired that clown Eakins. Eakins was a big reason why Schultz struggled. He got better once Eakins was gone.

ivanthebad*

Perhaps MacT shouldn't have hired that clown Eakins. Eakins was a big reason why Schultz struggled. He got better once Eakins was gone.

:sarcasm: Really? He was also best when Eakins wasn't around playing with the other Schultz. He has value, not throughout the league but I'm sure one moe bridge contract under our current circumstances is possible.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

im not sitting here and crapping on Schultz. if he gets to his peak he will be a taller Boyle.

he will NEVER be a shut down d. He has never been. he never will. if you watch him at all you will see he is not that guy.

NOW. blame MacT all you want. waste all the time blaming that you care to. A good manager wont waste time. it ends here. nurse will be ready at camp.
we arent waiting and developing three dmen...or four....or five.
school time is over.
chias here and its time to get serious. you pick your guns and you move forward. and you better pick well.

the cost to resign, tender the mere offer to j schultz is enough to make my decision.
klein is a better support partner at a lower cap hit. if i want to upgrade klein later i can. important part is support for my gems. my gems are nurse and klef.
thats it.
those are my guns.
i got no time for schultz to learn anymore. sj can afford it because ofburns. bang.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
you cant mother all the players. i like schultz but i dont want to develop four dmen. i dont have time. nurse and klef are better priorities. younger. higher grade. more complete.
schultz has never been the guy to shut teams down. klef and nurse show that AND offensive ability.

the OILERS can not survive or move forward while supporting green players with MORE green players.
pick who you want to teach.
if you want to keep schultz fine...trade klef or nurse because they are already passing schultz and are more complete packages.
choose wisely.

The NHL is not a day care and believe me when i say that CHIA, not you, CHIA....THE BOSS... is ready NOW. NOW is the time to pick who is in and who is out. who is priority and who is not.
i dont see chia looking at our d and hearing defenses like "he needs more time" and not responding with...well that time is more valuable given to him or are we going to focus on Klef and NURSE? the answer to that is Klef and Nurse are more valuable, more complete, more potential, and the future of this franchise on d. we need solid, consistent, support d everywhere else. shift in, shift out. dependable.

Anahiem has Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm and Depres all playing significant minutes for them. They range from 21-23 years old. There isn't necessarily a limit on youth so long as that youth can play.

You're also ignoring that there is no rush with Nurse. He doesn't need to be on the roster next year. Hell, he might not be ready in the first place. He certainly wasn't ready this past season. Making room on the roster for him before he proves he can handle it is a sure fire mistake.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

two months ago, yes.

Today, with McDavid as the result of incompetence, no.

Schultz can recover. I have faith in his abilities.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Anahiem has Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm and Depres all playing significant minutes for them. They range from 21-23 years old. There isn't necessarily a limit on youth so long as that youth can play.

You're also ignoring that there is no rush with Nurse. He doesn't need to be on the roster next year. Hell, he might not be ready in the first place. He certainly wasn't ready this past season. Making room on the roster for him before he proves he can handle it is a sure fire mistake.

ahem...please dont tell just one side of the story. as i said...SUPPORT. please tell me the all stars that supported them. lets compare their parteners and the pivots.

look at our lineup. heck. start with our forwards. everyone says we are so rich there. who is our all star? who shelters? who mentors?

hmmmm

yeah. thats why this group sucks.

continue to suck.
continue the path of green no experience wasted talents teaching greener wasted talents.

its a comedy. it will stop under chia

and i DO agree with your last statement. i do. nurse is not in my lineup to start the year.

nikitin wont be moved imho. i can see purcell moving.

klef franson
marincin klein
nikitin fayne
ference/marincin

thats a unsexy but dependable group that COULD be sexy with good pivot support.

thats how i see it. marincin might be used as a chip. i think nurse starts in the ahl.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
ahem...please dont tell just one side of the story. as i said...SUPPORT. please tell me the all stars that supported them. lets compare their parteners and the pivots.

look at our lineup. heck. start with our forwards. everyone says we are so rich there. who is our all star? who shelters? who mentors?

hmmmm

continue to suck.
continue the path of green no experience wasted talents teaching greener wasted talents.

Rather than dump Schultz so you can force a player into the lineup who might not be ready (Nurse), why not wait to see if Nurse can take a spot and go from there?

Heck, who even knows how Klefbom will do next season. Marincin had equally as impressive a rookie year and ended up shuttling back and forth between the minors/big leagues this entire season.

Defensemen take time to develop. You don't just spend three years on a guy and dump him when he hasn't reached his potential yet.

Schultz can go if we get some legitimate offensive d-men on the roster. He doesn't go just to make room for Nurse though.

Edit: And Franson? Really? That's who you want to replace Schultz with? You're basically paying 2+ million more for a lateral move. Franson is just as bad defensively and is no better offensively.

ivanthebad*

hmmmm

continue to suck.

This is accurate in so many words Spawn. They can afford to go younger in D cuz they have more offensive puck possession and 2 way forwards. Last year everyone questioned Fowlers abilities. They added Kesler and now Wiz is less of an importance and Fowler is a stud? Young players like you have suggested don't merely find their game due to mere luck, it's all a ying and a yang. Take Kesler out of the equastion then Wiz becomes a staple to their success and Fowler is the odd man out. Factor in what Cogliano brings to their team game. It's about role players and who does what on the front and back.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivanthebad*

Rather than dump Schultz so you can force a player into the lineup who might not be ready (Nurse), why not wait to see if Nurse can take a spot and go from there?

Heck, who even knows how Klefbom will do next season. Marincin had equally as impressive a rookie year and ended up shuttling back and forth between the minors/big leagues this entire season.

Defensemen take time to develop. You don't just spend three years on a guy and dump him when he hasn't reached his potential yet.

Schultz can go if we get some legitimate offensive d-men on the roster. He doesn't go just to make room for Nurse though.

Edit: And Franson? Really? That's who you want to replace Schultz with? You're basically paying 2+ million more for a lateral move. Franson is just as bad defensively and is no better offensively.

That's the point all along. Schultz is an asset if you add eg. hossa to the line-up. Schultz is terrible if you have Yak infront of him. Sign Schultz to a 3rd line pair and use him for his offensive upside then you better have a forward who can play d or a dman who only plays d. You just can't simply for example add Green on the #1 pairing and add Schultz on #3. It's a mismatch.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

yeah. sorry spawn i was so caught up in the fact you made it seem like anaheim was just throwing dmen with fayne and making them develop that i had to respond right away.
i eitted and added that I DONT have nurse inked into a spot. i didnt get to your second sentence because ANY comparison to the oilers support roster to anaheims support roster is absurd.
oh and their defensive coach, home based in anaheim, just happens to be one of the best dmen of all time.

ivanthebad*

Larsson would be a good player to have. But he's proven significantly less than Hamilton, is a much bigger risk to offer a big deal to and besides.... New Jersey has all the cap space in the world to match.

I sign Larsson for sure, but only if we can sign Barret Jackman. I sign Dougie, but then I sign Schultz.

Having said all this to prove that one compliments the other somebody rightfully said on here that true #1 dmen are brought up through a sytem and I fully agree. The only dmen I sign or trade for are those who help Klef and Nurse come through our system. If that takes a couple years so be it, but you alsom have to factor in that if you do this, a significant piece for McD is also a priority

ivanthebad*

Chi added Hossa when it came time and payed tons, then they added Campbell. Both in my opinion took the core of Chi to another level. This type of strategic element would be wise. Bring on Chara!! I'd even take Brad Richards on a 2 year term no questions, especially after this year. He was a value and a half at his contract!

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

if i ask any GM in the league they will, to a man, say that Franson has always been the better of the two defensively...has a better shot that actually needs to be respected (pulling defenders up on the pp), and is as good of a passer. Schultzs offensive iq is better but hes never going to be a shut down guy. top end he is a boyle. great complimentary. Franson is better support, end debate for me. schultz is never going to be THE guy. i need the support guys. theres sixty minutes. i think chia will find he wants to give sheltered minutes to players with more rounded and higher upside. chia will count down the minutes and see Schultz can be moved if he can get those support pieces. SUPPORT. i know its a concept oiler fans have had no experience with beyond maybe one guy on the roster a year...but it has to be throughout the line up now. this isnt grade school or day care anymore. this is isnt the mothering and cradling institution of excuses anymore.

if i can get Franson...my number one issue with our pp is removed while he can also log big minutes.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Chi added Hossa when it came time and payed tons, then they added Campbell. Both in my opinion took the core of Chi to another level. This type of strategic element would be wise. Bring on Chara!! I'd even take Brad Richards on a 2 year term no questions, especially after this year. He was a value and a half at his contract!

Are you sure you aren't a Leaf fan, you want to sign everyone :)

ivanthebad*

Are you sure you aren't a Leaf fan, you want to sign everyone :)

If you bother to follow most of my replies I am not delusional in signing everyone but rather offer more trades. I have stated more than once based on Oil history I do not see immediate help w/ FA just cuz we have McD(possibly):popcorn:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
If you bother to follow most of my replies I am not delusional in signing everyone but rather offer more trades. I have stated more than once based on Oil history I do not see immediate help w/ FA just cuz we have McD(possibly):popcorn:

make a big move at the draft...to not look so young and green.

right now...mcdavid only means another development year. this is a very very green team. looks like a waste to sign with until maybe next year...and even then maybe not ready.

BUT if you take a leap in a trade. show you have the support pieces that are already proven to not be basement dwellers every year?

things look immediately bright.
the front end is as bad as the rest of it. weak. bottom feeding.

ivanthebad*

make a big move at the draft...to not look so young and green.

right now...mcdavid only means another development year. this is a very very green team. looks like a waste to sign with until maybe next year...and even then maybe not ready.

BUT if you take a leap in a trade. show you have the support pieces that are already proven to not be basement dwellers every year?

things look immediately bright.
the front end is as bad as the rest of it. weak. bottom feeding.

Again they did it with the whole organization in 2 months:popcorn:, come player time I guess we play it close to the chest? I guess the term "working your way from the top down" means stopping at the middle. Right or wrong, at this point the best message being sent to this group after all the MacT coddling is that trading away a Yak, Hall, Ebs or RNH is put up or shut up. Argue all you want, but either piece will be moved out for a better fit based on this management and the message will be louder that any words.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't really buy that it's that green of a team.

This is going to be Hall and Eberle's 6th season in the league, and RNH's 5th. Yakupov and Schultz's 4th.

Guys like Fayne, Ference, Gordon, Pouliot, Hendricks, etc. have been in the league for a long time too and getting one more veteran d-man and probably another vet forward is pretty much a lock in the off-season.

The Flames don't have much more experience than us if at all. We need to stop using that as an excuse and start buying in to the coach's system ... thankfully we finally have a coach who isn't a total bozo from day 1 of camp.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

This is going to be Hall and Eberle's 6th season in the league, and RNH's 5th. Yakupov and Schultz's 4th.

Guys like Fayne, Ference, Gordon, Pouliot, Hendricks, etc. have been in the league for a long time too and getting one more veteran d-man is pretty much a lock in the off-season.

The Flames don't have much more experience than us if at all. We need to stop using that as an excuse and start buying in to the coach's system ... thankfully we finally have a coach who isn't a total bozo from day 1 of camp.

this fall our average will be older then the kings when they won their first cup

ivanthebad*

Guys like Fayne, Ference, Gordon, Pouliot, Hendricks, etc. have been in the league for a long time too and getting one more veteran d-man is pretty much a lock in the off-season.

The Flames don't have much more experience than us if at all. We need to stop using that as an excuse and start buying in to the coaches system ... thankfully we finally have a coach who isn't a total bozo from day 1 of camp.

Not trying to be a jerk but did you just answer your own question? You are claiming they have some experience yet are the bottom every year and even proven pathetic in effort. They now do a 180 in how they play based on another coach, or this is "the coach" argument? Is that what upper management sees? Moving 1 might suggest more of an argument. A losing culture is not replaced by just one piece and suggesting it is the coach is just a hopefull argument

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not trying to be a jerk but did you just answer your own question? You are claiming they have some experience yet are the bottom every year and even proven pathetic in effort. They now do a 180 in how they play based on another coach? Is that what upper management sees? Moving 1 might suggest more of an argument. A losing culture is not replaced by just one piece and suggesting it is the coach is just a hopefull argument

They're too old to be babysat now, they need to step up and play better.

This is like saying a 25-year-old needs a father figure because daddy wasn't around at age 7-8 ... it's a little too late for that by then, that's a grown ass man.

And a coach is a huge part of the team culture, I would guarantee you with a different coach, Calgary would be in a very different situation. Those guys buy-in to Hartley's system, they would walk through a glass wall for him.

We need that level of buy in here.

ivanthebad*

They're too old to be babysat now, they need to step up and play better.

This is like saying a 25-year-old needs a father figure because daddy wasn't around at age 7-8 ... it's a little too late for that by then, that's a grown ass man.

And a coach is a huge part of the team culture, I would guarantee you with a different coach, Calgary would be in a very different situation. Those guys buy-in to Hartley's system, they would walk through a glass wall for him.

We need that level of buy in here.

Can u please name some complimentary pieces? Hudler is a compliment as he has played above his means but is alo a vet. Colborne is a big body and well above being a rookie. That's on the front end of course but they have that on the back in Giordano, who also went downband Wideman picked up that slack. Oilers have what through there top 6 and top 4 d? Using Calgary as a reference is really counter productive. They also had an unproven goalie in Ramo, who now is this miracoulous target, more of a product of his team than anything

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Can u please name some complimentary pieces?

Pouliot, Fayne, Hendricks, Gordon, Ference, plus about $20 million in cap space to add to that.

They're not young pups anymore aside from McDavid, the other four of them (five actually with Schultz) need to step up their game's. It's time. They've had plenty of experience now, it's time to stop babying them.

There is no excuse to not have a higher commitment at their age to off-season strength training, for having more battle and compete in their game, for making higher intelligence hockey plays ... they know this league now and they should know better than repeating mistakes they were making as rookies half a decade ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad