Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Current Rumor: Cam Talbot

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Why would you do that trade knowing that both are UFA after 1 year? How does that help us exactly if they both walk or if we have to trade them at deadline. What would we get for Yandle at deadline?

The answer to your first question, if you had conversations that made it sound like they would stay or you were bringing in pieces to 'win now'.

Second question, it doesn't.

Third, well that depends.

Fourth, that also depends, probably more than what we
got Petry.

I would say that if they help make a team out of us next year (along with another D or 2, maybe a gritty forward) and Talbot stays on afterwards, it was worth it.

Of course it's a gamble, but everything is a gamble.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
SJ would want Schultz. with Burns there they can use him properly.

NYR would not want Schultz imho.

I would stay away from a SJ trade, people seem to be bending in pretzels to get a playstation trade done.

We still need to see what we really have for players, the last 2 years showed us nothing, it was very hard to assess. I don't see why we can't get a guy like Lack, Talbot, Ramo etc for a late second and something else. There are D like Sekara, Franson out there that could help us. I hope we dont panic just to pander to the fans.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
i was thinking that with Franson. he pays close attention to what teams are doing. he is definitely making an educated decision when he signs.
it is not surprising he is paying so much attention. hes had to fight for every contract and now he is looking for term. i dont think the $$$$ are as imoortant. he wants to pick the right place for a six year deal minimum.

It's funny...when you talk about players signing or waiving no trades it sounds like you were just at their house for supper bringing these ideas to their attention, you must be really connected.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Sekera stated his want to stay in LA and an article came out with LA's suggested pre-plan to do so when they signed him. Apparentely they have/had a plan in mind for just that. Sekera would be my #1 target no question but unfortunately I think he stays in LA.

I'll believe it when I see it. If it hinges on moving Richards then I have my doubts.

We've heard many players say they want to stay with their teams but then bolt. I think it's a free agent tactic. It's a win-win. It's the classy thing to say. It puts pressure on the team to re-sign you. It makes rival teams more aggressive in getting you.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Trying to get Thornton would just be overkill. I would rather use the assets that it would take to get Thornton (which would be a lot since it's a divisional trade) and get a goalie or defenceman. I'm really excited to see what happens during the next 3 weeks.

ivanthebad*

The answer to your first question, if you had conversations that made it sound like they would stay or you were bringing in pieces to 'win now'.

Second question, it doesn't.

Third, well that depends.

Fourth, that also depends, probably more than what we
got Petry.

I would say that if they help make a team out of us next year (along with another D or 2, maybe a gritty forward) and Talbot stays on afterwards, it was worth it.

Of course it's a gamble, but everything is a gamble.

Yandle on a team with defensive and toughness issues? Huh? He played on the 3rd line behind McDonagh and Staal. Why is that? I mean he is only 28. Arz got rid of him once OEL developed, I wonder why? You want to gamble, sign Mike Green, atleast he is more physical

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Trying to get Thornton would just be overkill. I would rather use the assets that it would take to get Thornton (which would be a lot since it's a divisional trade) and get a goalie or defenceman. I'm really excited to see what happens during the next 3 weeks.

Thornton only makes sense if the team is already playoff ready.

This team is miles from being playoff ready.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
It's funny...when you talk about players signing or waiving no trades it sounds like you were just at their house for supper bringing these ideas to their attention, you must be really connected.

i have friends in media but the franson stuff is from his talks in interviews. he was aware of names being interviewed in philly and nj and toronto. he knew the back grounds of the people. he is an interesting guy. he certainly pays alot of attention to the nhl and developmental leagues.

maybe that is how he has always been but he isnt your typical nhler who doesnt investigate the goings on. he certainly would know we have chia and mcl and picking up mcdavid. any other big news hed certainly see.

as for his contract talks he said it clearly in interviews. situation and term are what he wants. he also said he would love to be a leader on a young team looking to take the next step. that was in regards to a toronto reporters question regarding the leafs but his answer was vague and i dont think he was really talking about the leafs. i think he was being tongue in cheek that hes ok with that scenario...but he doesnt think that team is the leafs.

if you make the moves to get things pointed correctly i think you get your rhd in franson.
franson. free
klein. cheap
there is your improvements to the right side. there is your support for the green leftys.

lack. use a third team as a go between.

no assets wasted. klef and nurse supported.

Last edited:

ivanthebad*

I'll believe it when I see it. If it hinges on moving Richards then I have my doubts.

We've heard many players say they want to stay with their teams but then bolt. I think it's a free agent tactic. It's a win-win. It's the classy thing to say. It puts pressure on the team to re-sign you. It makes rival teams more aggressive in getting you.

Well said, but I also know that Col is in major hunt for him also. He is truly the key piece to their much more immediate success. I want Sekera, but it's going to be a dog fight. Not sure what plan b is? I still hope Burns or Buff are a viable option and am willing to overpay slightly to see it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Thornton only makes sense if the team is already playoff ready.

This team is miles from being playoff ready.

veterans like Thornton are often used to put a playoff team over the top to win a cup, but they also have use for a team like ours. His mentorship would be invaluable to our young forwards, and he would make the team better which helps everyone.

The only question is if Thornton would even waive to come here. He probably wants a cup. The odds are probably less than 50% that he would come here but it's worth asking. I bet SJ would be open to selling him to create a bit of a youth movement.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
A trade that I would contemplate with the Rangers would be:

Keith Yandle
Cam Talbot

for

16th overall
Justin Schultz

The Rangers are only paying Yandle half his salary next season, but he's a UFA the year after and likely to require around 6M to retain. Obviously, the Oilers would want to sign Yandle to an extension. 6 x 6M?

Yandle would fit in with the Oiler D corps moving forward and is a much more proven offensive player than J Schultz.
The reason Schultz didn't sign in Anaheim was he wanted to play on a Canadian team. NY Rangers were in on him but Schultz didn't choose the Rangers because he wanted a Canadian team.

ivanthebad*

The reason Schultz didn't sign in Anaheim was he wanted to play on a Canadian team. NY Rangers were in on him but Schultz didn't choose the Rangers because he wanted a Canadian team.

Does Schultz have a NMC?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Sekera stated his want to stay in LA and an article came out with LA's suggested pre-plan to do so when they signed him. Apparentely they have/had a plan in mind for just that. Sekera would be my #1 target no question but unfortunately I think he stays in LA.

Latest info I read, was L.A. is trying to find the room to sign Sekera, but it doesn't seem like they can fit it without moving Richards or some other high priced contract. Priorities at present are extending Martin Jones which is close to done and then trying to sign Tyler Toffoli. It looks like Sekera will reach the open market.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
veterans like Thornton are often used to put a playoff team over the top to win a cup, but they also have use for a team like ours. His mentorship would be invaluable to our young forwards, and he would make the team better which helps everyone.

The only question is if Thornton would even waive to come here. He probably wants a cup. The odds are probably less than 50% that he would come here but it's worth asking. I bet SJ would be open to selling him to create a bit of a youth movement.

Thats just it...from Thorntons perspective it really doesn't make sense to go to Edmonton at this point in his career..

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

Seriously i think SJ would let us talk to him. Ott let us talk to Heatley. SJ is cuffed by those clauses.

you tell him...if he isnt happy with the progress and building something here we will trade him to his pick of team next season. no matter what the return is, keep his mouth shut, and we will trade him to his pick of team. we will retain cap, whatever it takes.

but ultimately it is up to him and ultimately he has his window open now where he allows sj management to ask him about places. when august hits he will be in season mode and that window closes.

ivanthebad*

When you talk about what is right and wrong with proposed trades you only offer opinion and dismiss team value, terms, team needs and options then exaggerate points to sway your own.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Nope but the reason he didn't sign in Anaheim was because he wanted to play for a Canadian team. This is getting ridiculous of people always wanting to run someone out of town. Schultz is the new Petry.

you cant mother all the players. i like schultz but i dont want to develop four dmen. i dont have time. nurse and klef are better priorities. younger. higher grade. more complete.
schultz has never been the guy to shut teams down. klef and nurse show that AND offensive ability.

the OILERS can not survive or move forward while supporting green players with MORE green players.
pick who you want to teach.
if you want to keep schultz fine...trade klef or nurse because they are already passing schultz and are more complete packages.
choose wisely.

The NHL is not a day care and believe me when i say that CHIA, not you, CHIA....THE BOSS... is ready NOW. NOW is the time to pick who is in and who is out. who is priority and who is not.
i dont see chia looking at our d and hearing defenses like "he needs more time" and not responding with...well that time is more valuable given to him or are we going to focus on Klef and NURSE? the answer to that is Klef and Nurse are more valuable, more complete, more potential, and the future of this franchise on d. we need solid, consistent, support d everywhere else. shift in, shift out. dependable.

Last edited:

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

ivanthebad*

Nope but the reason he didn't sign in Anaheim was because he wanted to play for a Canadian team. This is getting ridiculous of people always wanting to run someone out of town. Schultz is the new Petry.

Was it a Canadian team or more of the fact he played with Ebs and Hall/RNH? I read many times this was his big decision and not a Canadian team! He lit it up with these guys and they were the swaying vote. This is a new development now?

oilers83

Feb 14, 2008
Latest info I read, was L.A. is trying to find the room to sign Sekera, but it doesn't seem like they can fit it without moving Richards or some other high priced contract. Priorities at present are extending Martin Jones which is close to done and then trying to sign Tyler Toffoli. It looks like Sekera will reach the open market.

A lot of there problems is the Voynov situation, iirc that contract is still technically on the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad