Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Current Rumor: Cam Talbot

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting question poised on 1260. So in the past when Schneider was available Gillis wanted a lot from us as we are a division rival. Now that Lack is available does Benning not ask for the same ransom for being a divison rival because PC was his boss and they had a relationship.

As a whole the question brought up a lot of good points about how we had a GM that really had no professional relationships with many other guys. PC on the other hand has been around and involved with Team Canada where he's developed relationships as well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, looks like the they have unwritten rules about stayed quiet for the Finals and the Awards. Makes sense.

Quiet but there's still some sort of action. The only real difference is going to be the lack of a compliance buyout. Teams may wait until the bitter end to see if a GM becomes desperate after the draft.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I mean I'm shocked we haven't seen any trades yet, as I assume the GMs have been talking a lot. I wonder if the NHL wants quietly for teams to "wait" until after the finals and the awards.

JJ--did you fall down the well again? NHL has an unofficial rule about teams upstaging either the final or awards--24 hours after the awards--kick off will come

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I understand the want to get a #1 Dman but I just can't buy the idea that Thornton in any way shape or form makes RNH expendable.
Also, Yakupov+16th is hardly a cheap for price for a 36 year old center.

If Draisaitl proves in 2-3 years that he's the real deal then we're having a completely different conversation but as of now, RNH should be virtually untouchable otherwise, you're creating a hole by filling another one.

I just think an old center is waaaaay down the priority list, probably the last thing the Oilers need.
I'd rather bring in an old Chara than an old Thornton if we're talking about exhausting valuable assets for veteran leadership.

It's not Thornton that make RNH expendable it's McDavid that did it. Thornton just insulates him (and Draisaitl and Lander) for a couple years. We know Thornton is nearing the end of his career and will have diminishing returns but we have two young centers to replace him. If we get Chara who is also aging (and wearing down much quicker than Thornton) who do we have to replace him when he's gone? Nobody so that move doesnt really solve any of our problems. I'd take Chara but it would have to be for really cheap. Boston is in a cap crunch, he's been injured and his game is not what it used to be and he doesnt open any possibilities to fill our holes. He plays the left side and that's where we are strong, unless pairing him with Shultz turns the kid into the Norris candidate MacT was talking about there's not a lot of upside there.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I'm personally just sick of "being afraid" to trade a 16th if it's the goalie the management team likes.

That 16th is hardly a guarantee of a player and if he is he ain't doing anything for years.

Useless to me.

I want to get better NOW. I don't care if they overpay a bit IF they truly believe Talbot is the guy (I do too and have been touting him for a while).

It's idiotic to me to say "ohh nooo we can't trade it! too valuable!"

We should be done "rebuilding"

Should that pick go to a dman? Sure, but trades aren't easy.

It's pretty simple. Chia takes a gamble with that pick for a goalie and trades a Yak or Eberle+ to get a dman plus free agency to get better now. You need to give to get.

Or he waits a year and sees how everybody meshes with mcdavid. Sell high on yak or Eberle, etc. Plus contracts coming off the books next year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
JJ--did you fall down the well again? NHL has an unofficial rule about teams upstaging either the final or awards--24 hours after the awards--kick off will come

Thanks? I mean the finals was obvious, but I wasn't sure about eh Awards, but it makes sense. I so stands to reason that teams are likely very busy with scouting meetings both amateur and pro.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm personally just sick of "being afraid" to trade a 16th if it's the goalie the management team likes.

That 16th is hardly a guarantee of a player and if he is he ain't doing anything for years.

Useless to me.

I want to get better NOW. I don't care if they overpay a bit IF they truly believe Talbot is the guy (I do too and have been touting him for a while).

It's pretty simple. Chia takes a gamble with that pick for a goalie and trades a Yak or Eberle+ to get a dman plus free agency to get better now. You need to give to get.

Or he waits a year and sees how everybody meshes with mcdavid. Sell high on yak or Eberle, etc. Plus contracts coming off the books next year.

Basically it's stupid to overpay even if you really like the guy, because you're making poor use of valuable assets. The Oilers have to improve a few different positions, so wasting the value of assets makes that harder.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton

Useless to me.

I'm down for Talbot but I wouldn't ever overpay on him when the market for goalies is favorable right now. 16th this year is the equiv of a top 10 pick in another draft.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Useless to me.

Or he waits a year and sees how everybody meshes with mcdavid. Sell high on yak or Eberle, etc.

Chiarelli will look at all the options and make his decision soon enough. In terms of "getting better", there's alot to do and I don't think it will all be done this offseason. Too much to do and both he and McLellan need to get a good look at the team first.

The 16th pick could very well prove useful moving forward though. Everyone talks about what Chiarelli will do with it, but IMO, I do believe quite a few teams will be knocking on the door (if they haven't already) to move up in the draft. I predict there will be some good offers on the table come draft day that will surprise alot of you. :P

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I mean I'm shocked we haven't seen any trades yet, as I assume the GMs have been talking a lot. I wonder if the NHL wants quietly for teams to "wait" until after the finals and the awards.

I think Bettman really likes announcing trades at the draft. Its one of the few times he opens his mouth and fans cheer. I would not be at all surprised if he asked GMs to hold off on trades involving picks until draft day.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Interesting question poised on 1260. So in the past when Schneider was available Gillis wanted a lot from us as we are a division rival. Now that Lack is available does Benning not ask for the same ransom for being a divison rival because PC was his boss and they had a relationship.

As a whole the question brought up a lot of good points about how we had a GM that really had no professional relationships with many other guys. PC on the other hand has been around and involved with Team Canada where he's developed relationships as well.

Gillis got sacked for handing their goalie situation--I am convinced that we at some point in time we will hear that Tambo and Gillis has a deal for Luongo--but Giillis jacked up the price at the last minute

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think Bettman really likes announcing trades at the draft. Its one of the few times he opens his mouth and fans cheer. I would not be at all surprised if he asked GMs to hold off on trades involving picks until draft day.

Makes sense, also makes if more fun, frankly.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

I really hate Bettman's trade announcements, I really don't think it's necessary to have that clown on stage every time there's a trade. Frankly it's a distraction and ends up taking more time. I'd prefer the NHL just had some PR person announce the trades, or just a speak 'n spell in front of a mic.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

Useless to me.

I'm glad you are not GM. You take for granted the assets you have and believe everything will magically get better by making trades. You're not the only one tired of the rebuild but just because you want something now, you make yourself seem desperate and easy to take advantage off. Teams would love for us to trade our 1st round picks for thier backups, and im sure teams are lining up to trade thier OELs and Pietrangelos for Eberle and Yak because essentially that is what were looking for but not going to get. I'm tired of our team getting taken advatage in trades and I hope to hell that Chia holds on those "useless" picks and players until fair deals can made. Talbot can stay in NY if they are asking for the 16th for all I care.

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country
"Garrioch reports the Senators have set the same asking price for both goaltenders – a top six forward and a draft pick.

Lehner, 23, is reportedly drawing interest from the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames, amongst others. While, the veteran Anderson could draw interest from San Jose and St. Louis, according to the Sun.

Anderson is under contract through the 2018-19 season, while Lehner will hit restricted free agency in 2018."

http://www.tsn.ca/sens-look-to-deal-goalie-pre-draft-1.310681

This seems like a ludicrous asking price if true for Lehner. He has had well below average numbers and injury issues the last 2 seasons.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Purcell is a top 6 player right? ;) Purcell + some 4th rounder for Lehner would be fine...

I agree, that asking price is moronic. But can't blame him for trying.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
This seems like a ludicrous asking price if true for Lehner. He has had well below average numbers and injury issues the last 2 seasons.

He is a highly sought after goalie only at the age of 23. Robin Lehner will definitely fetch a nice package for the Sens.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He is a highly sought after goalie only at the age of 23. Robin Lehner will definitely fetch a nice package for the Sens.

I really don't hear anyone actually looking at him other than crap from Garrioch. There are a dozen guys available, no one is going to overpay for a goalie this year unless a team decides to make someone available that isn't on that current list that Willis had yesterday.

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country

How highly sought after is he really though? Yes the age is nice, but given all the potential available goalies I would put him near the bottom of the list. A goalie like Antti Raanta for example would be much cheaper and I would put him at the same level as Lehner.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

This is pretty false.

There may be a mutual respect between the two, but there sure as hell aren't any sweetheart deals going on between division rivals because of a protégé/apprentice relationship. Lack's current value is at a 2nd round pick because that's where his market value is.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is pretty false.

There may be a mutual respect between the two, but there sure as hell aren't any sweetheart deals going on between division rivals. Lack's current value is at a 2nd round pick because that's where his market value is.

I'm not saying a sweetheart deal, but is Benning going to ask for a 1st from us if market value is a 2nd? Or do we get the market value pricing of just the 2nd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad