Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Current Rumor: Cam Talbot

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You bet, but you know, he was almost out of the league just a few short months ago, so he's not so established that he should act entitled to a bunch of cash.

There's very little to suggest that Ramo or Niemi couldn't do what Dubnyk did in Minnesota.

He should push for a deal, but he shouldn't forget where he is as a player, basically one bad year from being done.

Could they do it in ARI?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Huh? What coverage? You improve completely.

Trade Scrivens to the Leafs in the Bernier deal, get another guy they like, more improvement.

I can see doing that and signing Neuvirth or Ramo, but not acquiring another one in trade. The Oilers do not have the assets to make that many deals.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
I'm really hoping we just stay the course and keep the picks. Make some smart UFA signings and prep for next year with Purcell, Nikitin, and Scrivens coming off the books.

I don't mind Scrivens if we can put defense around him. And I don't mind Purcell in a line 3-4 back weak side role. He can still skate well, will know our systems, played ok in a shutdown role(considering who he was playing with and who was coaching the team) if nurse isn't ready come the deadline, I highly doubt he isn't ready by the end of Nikitin's contract... if we are lucky Nikitin will at least be playing for a contract somewhere else.

But i'd also have a hard time moving any pick short of Mtl's 2nd rounder. We have a few players closing in on the waiver wire, going to have to make some tough decisions. might as well draft in what many are saying is a deep draft. we need a top 4 shutdown d-man, a big body that can help clear our zone while Marincin adds 30lbs to that frame of his. We should be able to contain with the players we have, and if not McLellan/Chiarelli are going to know who needs to go in no time.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It'd be a gross waste of assets to acquire Lehner or Talbot on-top of Bernier. Better to keep Scrivens, and look for an upgrade (if necessary) in free agency next summer.

As long as you assume that Bernier can play 60 games as a starter, I don't, get real improvement.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
As long as you assume that Bernier can play 60 games as a starter, I don't, get real improvement.

150+ games of starter level hockey. He's a legitimate starter. There is no good reason to think otherwise.

The Oilers would be worse for doing what you're suggesting simply because they will not able to properly package for a defenseman. Don't have the trade assets to do what you are suggesting.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
It seems so backwards to me to trade 16OA+ for a goalie like Bernier when we could put a package together for a #2 defenceman. (Who would be our #1).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
150+ games of starter level hockey. He's a legitimate starter. There is no good reason to think otherwise.

The Oilers would be worse for doing what you're suggesting simply because they will not able to properly package for a defenseman. Don't have the trade assets to do what you are suggesting.

Well then we're considering the "value" of these goalies in different lights. There are also UFAs.

Bernier hasn't done the playing 60+ games in one season, so there isn't actually a reason to suggest that he can.

Again, improve, as much as possible, not just as much as is convenient.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto isn't doing that. That's worse than the offer of LD and Marincin for Bernier and the 4th, and that wasn't a good offer either.

I think I missed something...

We don't move a piece like LD away for a goaltender like Bernier. While obviously an upgrade on what we have he is not so good that we should be tossing 3rd overall guys that are projecting extremely well. Goaltenders in general are not in the same value range as potential #1 center with size and two way skill. Barring guys like Price, Quick, and Lunquist of course.

We don't need the 4th OA at all. If Hanafin drops to 4th then maybe its interesting but he shouldn't drop and even then Hanafin would be much further behind in his effectiveness than the "toss in" of Marincin. Why in the world would we want another blue chip defensive prospect who may or may not be an effective NHLer for another 5+ years? Highly touted as Hanafin it is most likely taking someone like Marincin out and replacing with Hanafin will be a downgrade for the next few years.

I understand people want to shake things up but we really need to start building a winning team now. Not 2 years from now or in 5 years. Our window is closing, no more trading for picks and long term prospects.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Well then we're considering the "value" of these goalies in different lights. There are also UFAs.

There are a couple UFAs that might come at a practical cap-hit and are reasonable enough upgrades to consider. I would be okay it, but if those guys go elsewhere and we're stuck with Enroth or something, we're walking side-ways.

I don't see a good reason to upgrade on Scrivens as a back-up at the expense of trade assets or cap.

Bernier hasn't done the playing 60+ games in one season, so there isn't actually a reason to suggest that he can.

58 and 55 game seasons at starter level and there's no reason to think he can play 60+? That's just dumb.

Again, improve, as much as possible, not just as much as is convenient.

Team would be worse for what you're suggesting is my point. You get one of those guys, not two. Goaltending is not the most important position the Oilers need to address.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Bernier would be great, but not at the price of Drai, Yaks or some one like that. They can have Scrivens back and the 16th.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I don't even think he's worth #16 straight up.

Debatable. Bernier will probably cover his bet and more as a former 11th overall pick.

I don't think the deal gets done around 16. Maybe you trade down for a couple picks, and spin one of those? Maybe you can work a deal around Justin Schultz and 33rd.

All I know is that of all the options realistically out there, none are better for the Oilers than Bernier. 26 years old, 150+ games as a starter (including a high level season on a mediocre team), plenty of upside. Everyone else is riskier or older.

oilz89*

Debatable. Bernier will probably cover his bet and more as a former 11th overall pick.

I don't think the deal gets done around 16. Maybe you trade down for a couple picks, and spin one of those? Maybe you can work a deal around Justin Schultz and 33rd.

All I know is that of all the options realistically out there, none are better for the Oilers than Bernier. 26 years old, 150+ games as a starter (including a high level season on a mediocre team), plenty of upside. Everyone else is riskier or older.

This. He'd be less riskier then Lehner

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Those assets dont get you the elite young D that's why you take advantage of a situation where a Thornton is available for a relatively cheap price. Of course this is going on a hypothetical that probably doesnt exist since like I said originally I dont believe he waives his movement clauses to come here.

I don't think those assets get you Thornton either unless he demands to come to Edmonton (lol).

I still stand by RNH being expendable if we pick up a veteran #1 center like Thornton. I'd consider moving him now if the right deal came along. He's a good player but this team really needs to change it's makeup if we're ever going to be a contender

IMO, RNH would be better than just about any realistic vet #1C acquisition on the market. And he'll be the #2C in short order which is a tremendous luxury for a team to have.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
wait, Bernier is an RFA according to Generalfanager. if that's the case then there is no way in hell he's worth 16th.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Scrivens seems to a barely capable back-up and was just god awful last year, cut bait and move one with new goalies.

Scrivens has 5 years of NHL experience and that was far and away his worst NHL season to date, at the age of 28 I don't think he just fell off a cliff. Players do bounce back from horrible seasons, why not give him an opportunity to do that, in your scenario we'd have to give up an assets for two new goalies and then likely another asset on top of that to get someone to take Scrivens off of our hands. I'd prefer just trading for a Talbot, Bernier, or Anderson and then using remaining assets to fix our defense. As a back-up Scrivens should be looking at getting roughly 20 games, if he struggles we have two guys on the farm in Brossoit or Laurikainen who could potentially step up and take a few games here or there.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Looks like the lack of Leafs logo on the shirt is based on some hockeywives show and a lack of permission to use the logo - not because he's being traded.

Can probably shut down the trade speculation now.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Yes, I agree that Bernier occupies a sweet spot. He's got what I would consider a minimum amount of starter experience for me to be comfortable with saying he can handle it for sure.

Maybe we could do a deal like this:
To Edmonton:
Bernier
24th overall (from Nash)

To Toronto:
16th overall (from Pitt)
57th overall (from Mon)

I still feel like the late first round has some great players, and we could probably even snag Samsonov from that range. I feel 16th overall is too early to take a goalie like Samsonov, but he will be picked by either Buff or Arz at 31st or 32nd

And there are other solid players there at that late first range too.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Scrivens has 5 years of NHL experience and that was far and away his worst NHL season to date, at the age of 28 I don't think he just fell off a cliff. Players do bounce back from horrible seasons, why not give him an opportunity to do that, in your scenario we'd have to give up an assets for two new goalies and then likely another asset on top of that to get someone to take Scrivens off of our hands. I'd prefer just trading for a Talbot, Bernier, or Anderson and then using remaining assets to fix our defense. As a back-up Scrivens should be looking at getting roughly 20 games, if he struggles we have two guys on the farm in Brossoit or Laurikainen who could potentially step up and take a few games here or there.

The only time he played over 21 games, he was awful. So there's that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He played well - .931 save % with LA and .916 with Edmonton. Prior to this last season, he's put up 90+ save %'s every year in the NHL, AHL and college. I think he's a decent bet to bounce back playing less games.

All in seasons where he played 21 or less games. I don't see how he can honestly be trusted to be the back-up unless you bring in a 60+ game starter. Do you see one of those out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad