NCAA to allow CHL players to play hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
They have always been doing this.

The football (and lesser extent basketball) programs have been funding the non-revenue sports for the past 50 to 70 years. More and more of those revenues, however, will be distributed to the players themselves (NCAA-House settlement) and the current NIL endorsement deals (and the practice of "collectives") are being largely given to the football programs.

The P-5 (or 4 now) finds itself in an arms race and if a Michigan wants to repeat as national champions, it will have to begin throwing massive amounts of money at its football program at the expense of its other sports (the new Ohio State model).

Reactions: Voight and Bubbles

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Nicholas Avakyan has now filed an injunction asking the court to allow him to play. It seems that it is now very probable that CHL players will be joining the NCAA ranks at the start of the 2025-26 season.

200w.gif

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I don't understand why the NCAA would even consider fighting this when Oskar Jellvik has played 2 years in the NCAA (this will be year 3) and played 3 games in the SHL (pro league)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The football (and lesser extent basketball) programs have been funding the non-revenue sports for the past 50 to 70 years. More and more of those revenues, however, will be distributed to the players themselves (NCAA-House settlement) and the current NIL endorsement deals (and the practice of "collectives") are being largely given to the football programs.

The P-5 (or 4 now) finds itself in an arms race and if a Michigan wants to repeat as national champions, it will have to begin throwing massive amounts of money at its football program at the expense of its other sports (the new Ohio State model).
NIL is largely run through collectives. Essentially boosters/bagmen passing the hat around to support a $20 million NIL roster. The next step is schools just paying players directly, but it'll be fundraised the same sort of way. There is nothing theoretically stopping a wealthy booster from a big time hockey program like Minnesota, Michigan, Boston College, Boston University, Denver, North Dakota, or others from making a big payout to land a particularly notable hockey recruit. Think of it like a benefactor earmarking a donation towards a particular project. In the case of hockey or any other non-football/basketball sport, it's just a question of what sort of appetite is out there.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
NIL is largely run through collectives. Essentially boosters/bagmen passing the hat around to support a $20 million NIL roster. The next step is schools just paying players directly, but it'll be fundraised the same sort of way. There is nothing theoretically stopping a wealthy booster from a big time hockey program like Minnesota, Michigan, Boston College, Boston University, Denver, North Dakota, or others from making a big payout to land a particularly notable hockey recruit. Think of it like a benefactor earmarking a donation towards a particular project. In the case of hockey or any other non-football/basketball sport, it's just a question of what sort of appetite is out there.

Canadians can't take/accept NIL... FYI

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
As I mentioned before, this makes the CHL better as you get the top 3-4 American players, this makes the NCAA much much deeper. I would expect 3-4 players on mid to low teams rosters, your RIT's, Miamis, Arizonas, all the non top 10 teams can now compete with them.

BCHL goes back to hockey Canada and Junior A goes back to normal. USHL might lose a couple teams to WHL/OHL.

USport loses its top 3-4 recruits on each team basically. So it someone like UNB/ALB/SASK is 95% CHL players, that drops to 75-80% and a couple more Junior A guys get spots, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Borderline players who aren't top 4 round NHL picks, low picks or non-drafted, basically get 4 more years of "visibility" towards pro/nhl.

Ironically there's been more and more Usport guys getting NHL camp invites, and signing AHL contracts these days. It's also not uncommon to have 1-3 low round NHL picks on some of the top 3-5 Usport teams. Roddy Ross, Jordan Koey, (5th and 7th round picks)

Another interesting observation, I see more 16 year olds playing junior A as opposed to MAAA in Western Can, which is very strange, you typically never see that. As WHL exposure is higher towards MAAA. You also see some 19 year olds opting right to USPORT after the CHL instead of playing as a 20 year old. (3 20 YO limit per team) which wasn't typical.

So some interesting movement is around forsure.

Reactions: Voight

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
As I mentioned before, this makes the CHL better as you get the top 3-4 American players
Top Americans will likely still be opting for the USNTDP for the foreseeable future. Everyone that goes through it raves about it as they get a fairly "world class" treatment while part of the program.

As far as the USHL, I don't think it will hurt it too much with American kids. Some may opt for CHL, which they do already. Mostly the Michigan kids and a couple others in the OHL region. The WHL still has a brutal travel schedule and is far from home even for the kids in the WHL region. The QMJHL has a language barrier and isn't even a currently more successful league than the USHL proper (non-USNDTP) in producing NHL draft selections. The OHL will no doubt lose fewer Ontario kids that wish to maintain NCAA eligiblity to the USHL. And presumably the BCHL will lose a lot of kids wishing to maintain NCAA eligibility to the WHL. The next big question though is going to concern when kids from the CHL will be able to jump to the NCAA ranks. Most NCAA bound kids don't come until they are 20 as is, but a good number jump at 19 and NHL level prospects often jump at 18. It defeats the college hockey path entirely if Macklin Celebrini couldn't play in the NCAA until he was 20 and the enforceability of the "commitment" that players sign as teenagers with CHL teams is going to be shaky, especially as Canadian courts look south to how U.S. courts have been dealing with questions of amateurism lately and likely following a similar trend.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
The USHL will more than likely be fine. I dont see any of the USHL teams under USAH jurisdiction moving to the CHL under Hockey Canada. This opens up more recruitment options for US born & based players in the WHL, USHL, and OHL regions if the NCAA barrier breaks down. Organizations like Chicago, Fargo, Green Bay, Muskegon, Dubuque, Waterloo, etc. in the USHL are really good NCAA & junior development programs outside of NTDP & WHL/OHL that will now be able to recruit and incentivize Americans that would otherwise go the CHL route, to play in the top US junior league and retain their NCAA rights. Much of the US born college/junior player base spends more time developing in lower levels such as AAA, USHS Prep/State, and the NAHL & NCDC junior leagues before jumping up to to the USHL, NCAA, or CHL, so now all of these leagues with US based teams will have access to a bigger, older & further developed player pool.

BCHL will take a hit in recruitment for sure, but remains to be seen what degree and what will come of independence or returning to Hockey Canada. If NCAA barriers between junior leagues come down, theres the real possibility that the bigger BCHL teams with better junior facilities like Penticton, Chilliwack, Vernon, Brooks, etc. jump ship to the WHL similar to Wenatchee if they find theres no incentive to participate in a lower level junior circuit recruiting lower level players when they are Canadas best NCAA development programs.

USports is in a peculiar spot. It has never been seen as a premier development spot for any sort of junior or college hockey but more players that go this route are finding viable pro careers afterwards. I suspect it becomes more of a NCAA tweener league competing with D2/D3 schools, where players who cant crack a D1 roster for that season, or lower level kids coming from BCHL or CJHL leagues play out the year there before stepping into the NCAA transfer portal for D1 next season.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Canadians can't take/accept NIL... FYI

Exactly

As outlined by one of the biggest athletes in the NCAA last season being a canadian and he outlined he got ZERO

-------------------------

where's that idiot Mike McMahon that says his sources said 2nd round picks were getting $600K
people need to stop with this narrative, the best reporter in college hockey has debunked NIL deals in hockey.
The Gap in headcount sports to non-headcount sports is MASSIVE, especially with arena's holding damn near 1/100th of the football.

Last edited:

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Exactly

As outlined by one of the biggest athletes in the NCAA last season being a canadian and he outlined he got ZERO

where's that idiot Mike McMahon that says his sources said 2nd round picks were getting $600K
people need to stop with this narrative, the best reporter in college hockey has debunked NIL deals in hockey.
The Gap in headcount sports to non-headcount sports is MASSIVE, especially with arena's holding damn near 1/100th of the football.

They can take scholarships, so it's more about getting good playing years, not NIL money.

I am NOT sure if CHL college fund money would apply. It's basically you're usual 40K degree money for 4 years, 2 semesters a year, etc.. It's just a fund, so I don't know why it wouldn't.....? Doesn't make any difference unless the school is extra expensive live Ivy League....

Basically the school would only have to "top up" the difference. Makes it more attractive actually.

A previous Cornell player who's a friend/teammate of mine, had an 80% scholarship, and still paid 10K a year out of pocket.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
The USHL will more than likely be fine. I dont see any of the USHL teams under USAH jurisdiction moving to the CHL under Hockey Canada. This opens up more recruitment options for US born & based players in the WHL, USHL, and OHL regions if the NCAA barrier breaks down. Organizations like Chicago, Fargo, Green Bay, Muskegon, Dubuque, Waterloo, etc. in the USHL are really good NCAA & junior development programs outside of NTDP & WHL/OHL that will now be able to recruit and incentivize Americans that would otherwise go the CHL route, to play in the top US junior league and retain their NCAA rights. Much of the US born college/junior player base spends more time developing in lower levels such as AAA, USHS Prep/State, and the NAHL & NCDC junior leagues before jumping up to to the USHL, NCAA, or CHL, so now all of these leagues with US based teams will have access to a bigger, older & further developed player pool.

BCHL will take a hit in recruitment for sure, but remains to be seen what degree and what will come of independence or returning to Hockey Canada. If NCAA barriers between junior leagues come down, theres the real possibility that the bigger BCHL teams with better junior facilities like Penticton, Chilliwack, Vernon, Brooks, etc. jump ship to the WHL similar to Wenatchee if they find theres no incentive to participate in a lower level junior circuit recruiting lower level players when they are Canadas best NCAA development programs.

USports is in a peculiar spot. It has never been seen as a premier development spot for any sort of junior or college hockey but more players that go this route are finding viable pro careers afterwards. I suspect it becomes more of a NCAA tweener league competing with D2/D3 schools, where players who cant crack a D1 roster for that season, or lower level kids coming from BCHL or CJHL leagues play out the year there before stepping into the NCAA transfer portal for D1 next season.

There are many possibilities as to how this will all play out. Much will depend on the new NHL-CHL agreement where, if rumors are true, under age CHL players will be allowed to play at least a portion of the season in the AHL. The NCAA is also openly discussing the possibility of allowing its athletes the opportunity to play in pro leagues prior to enrolling in school or in between the school calendar, providing they are not paid and do not sign contracts. How this would actually happen considering current collective bargaining in pro leagues would ban such a practice remains to be seen, however.

I feel that the very elite U.S. born players would continue to gravitate towards the NTDP and NCAA hockey afterwards but a small trickle of those players would begin to choose the CHL. In time would that trickle turn into a raging torrent? That remains to be seen.

U-Sports will be in a very difficult spot as they simply cannot compete with what the NCAA will offer players that once would have went to an Alberta or UNB. We have to assume that the talent level will drop across the board.

The BCHL will also be in a very difficult situation. The league relies on a lot of American born players to supplement team rosters and those Americans will now have roster spots open up to them in the USHL. It's a real possibility that the top end programs merge into the WHL while the rest go back to tier II feeder league to the WHL.

The USHL will lose a lot of its high end talent. The league will remain, however, a viable path to the NCAA. There is talk of a possible merger with the CHL but the hang up appears to be territorial rights. The USHL would obviously want exclusive rights to players in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin ect but the OHL/WHL do not want to relinquish those territories. The USHL has long sought participation in the Memorial Cup tournament, but again, the CHL has no desire to grant participation.

The NCAA and the CHL will on the whole be winners but how much so remains to be seen. There are some who see the NCAA becoming the pinnacle of "amateur" development with the very best teen age players going the CHL route until the age of 18 or 19 then jumping into the college ranks before embarking on their "pro" careers. The CHL has different ideas. They want to retain players until the age of 20 and will want to encourage the very elite players to bypass the NCAA all together and sign NHL contracts as quickly as possible. How this shakes out will have a lot to do with the next NHL CBA and NHL-CHL agreement.

600k deals no, and I doubt McMahon ever said or wrote that but players are receiving NIL deals and it would not shock me if a few are in the 50-100k range.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
600k deals no, and I doubt McMahon ever said or wrote that but players are receiving NIL deals and it would not shock me if a few are in the 50-100k range.
LOL
“I know several top guys (1st/2nd round picks) where low-6s was the number”

Ohh he said it, and his only response to every single person was
“that’s what I’ve heard”
“I’m right & you’re wrong”

He’s doubled down consistently on “trust me bro” as his source when amounts that large would not stay public in a non-head count sport.

Was on scholarship for D1 in hockey and I know many involved in multiple programs. The money he is suggesting is not there.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
They can take scholarships, so it's more about getting good playing years, not NIL money.

I am NOT sure if CHL college fund money would apply. It's basically you're usual 40K degree money for 4 years, 2 semesters a year, etc.. It's just a fund, so I don't know why it wouldn't.....? Doesn't make any difference unless the school is extra expensive live Ivy League....

Basically the school would only have to "top up" the difference. Makes it more attractive actually.

A previous Cornell player who's a friend/teammate of mine, had an 80% scholarship, and still paid 10K a year out of pocket.
Well your friend wouldn’t have had an
“athletic scholarship” as Cornell doesn’t offer them becuase they are an Ivy League school. And Ivy League schools have never had them.
They offer financial aid rewards.
Had family members at Ivy League schools for sports. You have to be near the top of the academic index and you get what is called a “likely letter”

The CHL money should apply the American schools if they get in.

But like you said NIL still won’t apply to them
They can’t get it. Zach Edey would have have made millions on NIL and been top 3 in earnings last year but didn’t make a dime as he was Canadian. Dude looked like cro-magnun man. But at least he got an NBA contract and was drafted in the first round

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad