Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
LA is the team that need a top LW more than any other team. They would pay a little more than other team
Vilardi as the main pieces is fantastic.....but i don't think Clague is going anywhere, i'm sure they would give up a 1st instead. But they could aford more than that, a Pacioretty would put them over the top in their division.
would love to see them land Clague, but.....

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This is the trade that makes sense. St. Louis already has two good LWs and Fabbri on the shelf.

I think you are right about Clague, but I'd still ask, as it replaces the hole of Sergachev to some extent.

The rebuild goes into next year, but you come out with Drouin, Vilardi, Poehling as your top 3 centres in 2019-2020, and a defense of

Mete-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Clague-Juulsen

With Price in net

Would be a contender I think, by 2021 at least. Especially with 5-6 top 50 picks coming out of this year's draft.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The rumours are so strong at the moment that even Jonathan Drouin was asked about how he would feel if the two were traded in the next two weeks.
“It would be weird if Pleky left, for sure. I grew up watching him,” said Drouin. “Just having him here as a veteran and as my teammate has been special. It’s weird, in general, having a guy as a teammate one day and then next day he’s gone. Same goes for Patch. It definitely would be strange if we go on a road trip and our captain doesn’t come back from it."

Won't feel so weird if we trade Drouin also :sarcasm:

Not saying we will, as we just traded our top prospect for him, but that would send a clear message if we trade Drouin.

"We mean business and nobody is safe"

or

"I dunno WTF I am doing and just winging it"

I wonder though what kind of return we would get.

Reactions: ArtPeur

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Vilardi's skating really scares me. I've only seen him a couple times but that's the one thing that stood out to me. Maybe some of the scouting experts on here feel differently and can make me feel better about it.

Read an article on EOTP today where Vilardi could be a target but they also pointed out the skating to be a concern.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Won't feel so weird if we trade Drouin also :sarcasm:

Not saying we will, as we just traded our top prospect for him, but that would send a clear message if we trade Drouin.

"We mean business and nobody is safe"

or

"I dunno WTF I am doing and just winging it"

I wonder though what kind of return we would get.

Most likely less than we gave up . It would be horrible asset management going from serg to drouin to an even lesser piece :(

Reactions: sandviper

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Read an article on EOTP today where Vilardi could be a target but they also pointed out the skating to be a concern.

At 18 years old though, you have the opportunity to send him to a couple of offseason camps to work on it, and improve. It is easier to improve skating than skills.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
This is the trade that makes sense. St. Louis already has two good LWs and Fabbri on the shelf.

I think you are right about Clague, but I'd still ask, as it replaces the hole of Sergachev to some extent.

The rebuild goes into next year, but you come out with Drouin, Vilardi, Poehling as your top 3 centres in 2019-2020, and a defense of

Mete-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Clague-Juulsen

With Price in net

Would be a contender I think, by 2021 at least. Especially with 5-6 top 50 picks coming out of this year's draft.

I really hope we dont have Weber and Alzner in our top 4 in 2021.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Would be sweet if we could do a deal for Pacioretty with the kings like they did when they acquired Richards for Simmons and Brayden Schenn, or when those Flyers sent Carter to Columbus for Voracek and 8th pick in the draft (sean Couturier).

But times have changed and scoring wingers in their late twenties are less highly sought after.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
At 18 years old though, you have the opportunity to send him to a couple of offseason camps to work on it, and improve. It is easier to improve skating than skills.

Can’t even think of an example of a player improving their speed significantly from their draft year. Tavares I guess but that’s an extreme example. Vilardi is not Tavares.

Plus the Kings aren’t trading Vilardi for Max. Jaret Anderson-Dolan is far more likely and I think he fits in the East more than the West. Vilardi no.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Bigger and drafted higher. Clearly better.
I see, trying to recover from your trade propostion of Crosby for Scherbak, Juulsen, Brook and Hudon?

No, because I don't get to watch these kids play, I rely on professional (not HF board amateurs) assessments of the prospects. THN had Gabe Vilardi ranked #3 going into the draft. The same rankings even had Thomas lower than Poehling.

Bob McKenzie had Gabe Vilardi at 5 overall and Thomas at 21 again behind Poehling at 19.

Now I know that hockey has been played since these rankings and since the draft itself. But Thomas hasn't done enough to put himself on the same level of Vilardi.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
While I'm not even convinced we are selling, the number of top 6 options becoming available is starting to bother me.
Kane, Nash, Hoffman, Brassard, Zuccarello. That's enough to depreciate Pacioretty's stock to some degree.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Vilardi's skating really scares me. I've only seen him a couple times but that's the one thing that stood out to me. Maybe some of the scouting experts on here feel differently and can make me feel better about it.
Plus he had major back trouble before. Makes 2 scares in him. But if he never had those he would be untouchable

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I see, trying to recover from your trade propostion of Crosby for Scherbak, Juulsen, Brook and Hudon?

No, because I don't get to watch these kids play, I rely on professional (not HF board amateurs) assessments of the prospects. THN had Gabe Vilardi ranked #3 going into the draft. The same rankings even had Thomas lower than Poehling.

Bob McKenzie had Gabe Vilardi at 5 overall and Thomas at 21 again behind Poehling at 19.

Now I know that hockey has been played since these rankings and since the draft itself. But Thomas hasn't done enough to put himself on the same level of Vilardi.

Both the Athletic and TSN now grade Thomas above Vilardi. Draft Number should stop mattering immediately after the draft.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
From Pronman: "My preference is for highly skilled players with upside. I look for prospects with speed, skill and intelligence."

Vilardi's report is he is high end intelligence and skill. But lacks skating. So there is a tad bit of admitted bias there. But having said that with TSN reporting the same, that for sure makes me thing much higher of Thomas.

I get stuck listening to Blues fans and guys on here I build up an internal doubt.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Can’t even think of an example of a player improving their speed significantly from their draft year. Tavares I guess but that’s an extreme example. Vilardi is not Tavares.

Plus the Kings aren’t trading Vilardi for Max. Jaret Anderson-Dolan is far more likely and I think he fits in the East more than the West. Vilardi no.

I have posted quite a bit about how the Habs picked a whole bunch of 1st rounders with skating issues and the result was a disaster

A few if I may

Terry Ryan, Mark Pederson, Jason Ward, Turner Stevenson, Brad Brown etc.

And Yeah, the team always said the player would improve the skating. No. No he didnt.

Sorry, not trading Patches where the centre piece back doesn't have NHL skating.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A team trading for patches this trade deadline also has the opportunity to trade him at next years tradeline if it doesnt work out. That in itself is worth a 1st rd. The problem is there is an abundance of lwers on the market and your trying to get a center which are in very high demand. This puts a questionable GM in a tough spot.

Right now, Pacioretty is of greater interest to a contender. However, they're not going to be too keen to give up a roster player as part of a package for him since they need as many resources as they have on their NHL roster right now to get through the playoffs. Hence, the best trading scenario for Pacioretty would be on draft day, where you have a lot more suitors and none of them tied down by circumstances.

Reactions: groovejuice and 417

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016

Maybe target a lower tier center ? Giroux or Kopitar for Juulsen, Brook and Hudon. Kopitar would slot in nicely at #2C behind Tavares.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Where did I say McDonagh is a stay at home D? Get your facts right And.. Why not understand the question and answer it?
That's the post I failed to quote ;)
Both Weber and McDo are stay at home D.

I think you have to have a PMD on every pairing and for sure on your 1st.

But yes, I would do that trade as McDo is younger than Weber, but then I would trade Weber.

I would then look to snag a PMD for the top pair.
So we agree.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Quick question. Given all the centre prospect targets we're drooling over where mostly 1st round picks after the 10 spot etc. I'm surprised we're not hearing more clamoring for guys like Hayton, Kupari, Veleno, Lundestrom all of which should be taken around the top 10. Looking at the NHL Prospect rankings it look like there are some options for us to draft a centre though at this point I think we've shown we might be better off using another teams scouts to determine who that may be.
I think the issue is that the top prospects are all wingers (Zadina, Svechnikov, Tkachuk) or D (Dahlin, Hughes, Boqvist). For where we are likely to pick (5-6 right now) drafting a C would be a bit of a reach. If we are hell-bent on drafting a C then maybe there's an opportunity to trade out of #5 down to #8-9 and add something decent in the process. Perhaps if we trade Max to a bubble team and get their first, we draft BPA at 5-ish, then have a pick in the teens to work with, you might be able to trade up from, say, 16 to 11 and get Veleno or Kupari or whomever.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I think the issue is that the top prospects are all wingers (Zadina, Svechnikov, Tkachuk) or D (Dahlin, Hughes, Boqvist). For where we are likely to pick (5-6 right now) drafting a C would be a bit of a reach. If we are hell-bent on drafting a C then maybe there's an opportunity to trade out of #5 down to #8-9 and add something decent in the process. Perhaps if we trade Max to a bubble team and get their first, we draft BPA at 5-ish, then have a pick in the teens to work with, you might be able to trade up from, say, 16 to 11 and get Veleno or Kupari or whomever.
Bah if McCarron converted to center, I'm pretty sure Tkachuk won't do worst taking the position back.

Not like this team doesn't try to remold every player they draft anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad