Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
It's a good question but you draft BPA in the NHL not to fill a need.
Yeah well I disagree with dogmatic strategies. There are plenty of instances where just stacking the same player position because you're thinking of BPA actually hurts prospect development because there's not enough ice time for everyone and it isn't easily fixed by trading (Trading is hard yo). Top 10 pick not an issue, but beyond that if it's too close to call you look at your depth short-medium-long term and adjust.

Besides you can't claim that the draft is a crap shoot and then turn around and say you're drafting BPA at the same time. It's kinda hypocritical.

Reactions: Mrb1p

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
This is the trade that makes sense. St. Louis already has two good LWs and Fabbri on the shelf.

I think you are right about Clague, but I'd still ask, as it replaces the hole of Sergachev to some extent.

The rebuild goes into next year, but you come out with Drouin, Vilardi, Poehling as your top 3 centres in 2019-2020, and a defense of

Mete-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Clague-Juulsen

With Price in net

Would be a contender I think, by 2021 at least. Especially with 5-6 top 50 picks coming out of this year's draft.
There is no bloody way Alzner is on this team next year you trade him and pick up some of his contract or you buy his a$$ out.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Yeah well I disagree with dogmatic strategies. There are plenty of instances where just stacking the same player position because you're thinking of BPA actually hurts prospect development because there's not enough ice time for everyone and it isn't easily fixed by trading (Trading is hard yo). Top 10 pick not an issue, but beyond that if it's too close to call you look at your depth short-medium-long term and adjust.

Besides you can't claim that the draft is a crap shoot and then turn around and say you're drafting BPA at the same time. It's kinda hypocritical.

I don't think the draft is crapshoot at the top of it. It might be later on but there's usually a pretty clear order in the first, let's say, 5 or 10 picks. You can reach a bit though.

IE if the Habs went off the board to draft Dobson at 6 when he is ranked 8 not such a big deal. If they took Veleno at 6? Burn the bell centre to the ground.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
What's taking our GM to trade Pacioretty? He's either harming his value by him not producing game by game or he's scoring and winning us games by not getting traded

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I don't think the draft is crapshoot at the top of it. It might be later on but there's usually a pretty clear order in the first, let's say, 5 or 10 picks. You can reach a bit though.

IE if the Habs went off the board to draft Dobson at 6 when he is ranked 8 not such a big deal. If they took Veleno at 6? Burn the bell centre to the ground.
It does sound like a reach, although I'm not following prospects very much anymore. I wouldn't be mad, not enough to burn the Bell Center. He's projected around what? I've seen ~18 somewhere then some folks claimed he was gaining momentum around ~10. It's not that bad of a reach. Makes you consider whether we could get him by trading down though. That's for sure.

Anyway, I'd pick Tkachuk and make him a Center before that ah ;)

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I think the issue is that the top prospects are all wingers (Zadina, Svechnikov, Tkachuk) or D (Dahlin, Hughes, Boqvist). For where we are likely to pick (5-6 right now) drafting a C would be a bit of a reach. If we are hell-bent on drafting a C then maybe there's an opportunity to trade out of #5 down to #8-9 and add something decent in the process. Perhaps if we trade Max to a bubble team and get their first, we draft BPA at 5-ish, then have a pick in the teens to work with, you might be able to trade up from, say, 16 to 11 and get Veleno or Kupari or whomever.

Montreal needs a top PMD too, not just a centre. If there isn’t a centre worthy of taking that’s who I think they should focus on at the top of the draft. I really have no problem with the BPA approach either, if there is a clear gap and there is no good offers on trading back.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Apparently Winnipeg is looking for depth Left D. Hoping we can send Benn to them. We traded Pateryn & a 4th for him. If we can get a 4th for him, I'd take it.

Also, NYR may be asking for Sergachev in a McDonagh trade to TB. Doubt TB does that, but one former Habs asset for another..... Yeesh. :facepalm:

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Apparently Winnipeg is looking for depth Left D. Hoping we can send Benn to them. We traded Pateryn & a 4th for him. If we can get a 4th for him, I'd take it.

Also, NYR may be asking for Sergachev in a McDonagh trade to TB. Doubt TB does that, but one former Habs asset for another..... Yeesh. :facepalm:
well that would be hilarious...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
What's taking our GM to trade Pacioretty? He's either harming his value by him not producing game by game or he's scoring and winning us games by not getting traded

I really don't believe Pacioretty's value varies on a game to game basis.

If I were to guess, the upcoming Nash trade, which is far more of a guarantee than a Pacioretty trade, will set the market.

If New York can get a 1st round pick and a prospect for Nash... It'll be very good news for us.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
While I'm not even convinced we are selling, the number of top 6 options becoming available is starting to bother me.
Kane, Nash, Hoffman, Brassard, Zuccarello. That's enough to depreciate Pacioretty's stock to some degree.
Pacioretty is the best of these guys, but I see a lot of teams falling back on the 2nd or 3rd option. Either MB holds on to him until the draft or until next year IMO. Thats probably the best way.

I can't wait for him to be off the team but hey...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
At least sending Sergachev out of our division would be good.

Can't think it's any good for the kid to be thrown around so much. You need some comfort at that age and more so when youre from far away, he probably can't wait to settle down.

Reactions: groovejuice

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
At least sending Sergachev out of our division would be good.

Can't think it's any good for the kid to be thrown around so much. You need some comfort at that age and more so when youre from far away, he probably can't wait to settle down.
The Gomez trade will just keep haunting us if Mcdonagh is traded for Sergachev.

Why in the hell would Yzerman do that? This isn't Bergevin we're talking about...

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Pacioretty is the best of these guys, but I see a lot of teams falling back on the 2nd or 3rd option. Either MB holds on to him until the draft or until next year IMO. Thats probably the best way.

I can't wait for him to be off the team but hey...
Suppose we wait until next year, do you think this GM could get screwed the same way he screwed Garth Snow on the Vanek deal? It's a possibility that waiting out for a reserve price that is set too high ends up biting this team badly.

A 1st and a good C or LD prospect and I'd pull that trigger at the last minute. I don't think he'll get better, signed or not.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I really don't think Bergevin will be asking for draft picks. He wants young but ready to play players. He still thinks we have a shot within the next year or two.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Suppose we wait until next year, do you think this GM could get screwed the same way he screwed Garth Snow on the Vanek deal? It's a possibility that waiting out for a reserve price that is set too high ends up biting this team badly.

A 1st and a good C or LD prospect and I'd pull that trigger at the last minute. I don't think he'll get better, signed or not.
Id go for a prospect and a 1st for sure. I'd probably do a 1st and a 2nd or a bad prospect and a 1st depending on which one.

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017
I still kind of find it funny that people think Tavares will sign here and that MTL will win the lottery. Chances of Tavares signing here are maybe like 1% in comparison to our chances of winning the lottery which are at roughly 7.6% or so. After simulating the draft about 20 times our average drafting spot is I believe 7 overall. That puts us in range of Dobson if I remember correctly. The highest rated Center is currently Barrett Hayton which stands at 10th overall. Veleno is now listed at 14th overall ranking and seems to be rising in stock a bit. If we draft from 5-8, then id like us to grab one of Boqvist or Dobson and then trade up from 2nd round to 20th range to grab one of McLeod or Kotkanieni. Id think it nice if we trade say Pleky and a second in return for their low 1st and a 3rd or something like that.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
How about, MB getting a centre that played on world Jr team , Thomas..

I can't see St. Louis bidding on Patches. They went in on Schenn. Schwartz is a point per gamer at LW. Steen is a highly paid #2 LW. Sanford and Fabbri have played LW, and should be back next year. The Blues need a RW.

Pacioretty for Vilardi makes a lot of sense. I'd add Mc Carron who would be some grit at the bottom, and Michigan boy on team well represented by the state, to get Clague.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad