HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
PTOs I'd like to see.

Austin Watson - punching bag, physical, pker. Would likely be fine with going in and out of the lineup as needed.

Matt Martin - can fight, hits to hurt. Would likely be the same in that he can sit against softer teams.

Both Watson and Martin add toughness and can lessen the fighting load for Xhekaj.

Cal Clutterbuck - really physical, can pk, should still have some skill left to be somewhat useful. Has some fighting prowess there, too.

JVR - one of the best net front presences in the game for a decade, if not longer. Not as good as he was, but could be an option to change things up if the main pp is stagnant.
All of them would be interesting PTO choices.

If I had to pick one. I think I'd go with Martin for the parts that I bolded.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
What if we offersheet Seider ?

Guhle-Seider
Hutson-Reinbacher

Instantly becomes the best top 4 of the lates 20's.

Heck, even for this year
Guhle-Seider
Matheson-Savard
Hutson-Xhekaj

is a pretty friggin great top 6 and I don't see the Habs finishing too low, definitely pass over Detroit.

The fervor against OS is also shared in the GM circle it seems. It happens very rarely.
You got my attention.

I don't know what Detroits cap situation is like. What kind of offersheet do you think it would take?

Edit: I've seen you replied a few times with your offer. I'm 100% on board. Go big or go home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Facebook.jpg

This what I grew up with
Championship were made of

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Did we not learn with Mete that you should not play defenders who can't defend?

Now we want to dress 7 D to paper over the weaknesses of a 20 year old who is waiver exempt?

??? what are you talking about.

1) Hutson can defend, stop with the Mete comparisons they are embarrassing to you. One was a late rounder with very little offense, the other is one of the best player outside the NHL right now.

2) We've dressed 7 many many games last year, I don't have the stat on hand. You dress 7 because you might need Xhekaj on the bench while playing Harris/Struble/Barron.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
That’s extremely bold and removes a lot of assets for future “compete window” trade acquisitions.

Not sure it’s easy to square with the reality we face

Also, Hughes wouldn't want to deal with the backlash anyway.

Offer Sheets may be legal tools, there's reasons those are as rare as they are, politics.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
That’s extremely bold and removes a lot of assets for future “compete window” trade acquisitions.

It is extremely bold, but adding a player of Seider's caliber. Wow, that would help solidify our top 4. It would even allow you to move one of Barron/Mailloux/Reinbacher (depends on how they progress). To bring back some of the assets lost.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I said I'd go all the way up to the lower limit of the 4 picks. 4 first for Seider.
He is not worth 4 1sts. And according to puckpedia Detroit has 17 mil in capspace. It would be a waste of time. For an offer sheet to work you need a perfect storm. A team with no cap space 2 players willing to sign them, and great difficulty in making cap space to keep both.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Getting Seider via offersheet would be an absolute chad move

Detroit would match tho and they have enough cap space to match anything.

Well, at the very least it could undermine the salary structure of a competing team.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He is not worth 4 1sts. And according to puckpedia Detroit has 17 mil in capspace. It would be a waste of time. For an offer sheet to work you need a perfect situation. A team with no cap space 2 players willing to sign them, and great difficulty in making cap space to keep both.
Not to mention giving up 4 firsts won't help us land the best rentals at TDL.
I'm actually trying to think of a high end offer sheet that resulted in a Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I think giving up four 1sts is perfectly fine but it should come when you have a core, a pipeline, and playoff experience and know which of your core players have that dog in them and which don’t.

Giving up four consecutive 1sts is a bold finishing move. We don’t even know what we have with Reinbacher, Hutson, Dach, or Demidov. Hell, Slafkovsky isn’t remotely close to the finished product yet either.

It’s nice to think about though. Would never poo-poo ambition :)

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Not to mention giving up 4 firsts won't help us land the best rentals at TDL.
I'm actually trying to think of a high end offer sheet that resulted in a Stanley Cup.
I can only think of Scott Stevens as compensation to NJD for STL offer sheeting Shanahan

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I think giving up four 1sts is perfectly fine but it should come when you have a core, a pipeline, and playoff experience and know which of your core players have that dog in them and which don’t.

Giving up four consecutive 1sts is a bold finishing move. We don’t even know what we have with Reinbacher, Hutson, Dach, or Demidov. Hell, Slafkovsky isn’t remotely close to the finished product yet either.

It’s nice to think about though. Would never poo-poo ambition :)
HuGo's goal is to be a contender long term. It would have to be a Bedard level player, that would likely guarantee multiple Cups, for them to give up 4 1sts. An exception would be if they have another first in most of those years.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He is not worth 4 1sts. And according to puckpedia Detroit has 17 mil in capspace. It would be a waste of time. For an offer sheet to work you need a perfect storm. A team with no cap space 2 players willing to sign them, and great difficulty in making cap space to keep both.
I disagree on the bolded part. I didn't realize Detroit had that much cap space. So yes, I think they would match. Though isn't Raymond due for a new contract as well? If so, Detroit would have a hard time signing both of them. If Sieder signed an offer sheet.

Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I disagree on the bolded part. I didn't realize Detroit had that much cap space. So yes, I think they would match. Though isn't Raymond due for a new contract as well? If so, Detroit would have a hard time signing both of them. If Sieder signed an offer sheet.

They'd probably pay to dump someone like Holl. I don't think Detroit is a team that you could poach a young star from.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

We still own a 1st in 2025 if we do it, and we still own two 2nds in 2025 and one in 2026.

Plus it opens up the possibility to trade Matheson which yields at least another first.

Guhle-Seider
Matheson-Savard
Hutson-Xhekaj

For this year and the next year

Guhle-Seiser
Hutson-XX
Xhekaj-Reinbacher

It's not a waste of time because they also have to sign Raymond. They'd be forced to either choose between the two or move assets. And even if they were to match, it means they're paying Seider 2-3 millions more than they are realistically going to pay him.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad