HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You guys might think I'm crazy but I'd offer 11.477 to Seider or Dobson.

We have a first and a 2nd this year, so we'd essentially only have 3 years without a first (And that's not accounting to moving Matheson and Montambeault who should both get close to a 1st.

If he is moved it's because Reinbacher and Barron have established themselves as top 4 options. There is no one else on that right side, it is barren.
He’ll be be moved because he has one year left and will get a nice return. He’s not getting re-signed and they won’t lose him for nothing.
This organization has shown that they are patient and do not move players for dimes on the dollar due to internal/external pressures. I do not know what they will do as there are just too many iterations of how these scenarios may unfold and there are too many unknown variables that have yet to be revealed. If we are trying to be objective we will prioritize past precedent as a forecaster of future decisions and this would point to patience and the maximizing of assets. They absolutely will not trade a group of dmen at a discount just to make room for entirely inexperienced young defenders to make the team out of camp or shortly thereafter......this much I am confident in.
I agree and never so much as hinted otherwise. Fact remains that there are too many bodies vying for a limited number of spots and some of them will HAVE to be moved or potentially lost for nothing.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He’ll be be moved because he has one year left and will get a nice return. He’s not getting re-signed and they won’t lose him for nothing.

I agree and never so much as hinted otherwise. Fact remains that there are too many bodies vying for a limited number of spots and some of them will HAVE to be moved or potentially lost for nothing.
Why do you assume he's not getting resigned ? Also history dictates the nice return is not gonna be that nice.

Theres not too many bodies on the right side, it's the left side that is overstaffed. Logic dictates Matheson is the one that should be moved but I know Hughes is partial to him because he's known him for a decade and he's been his client forever so I don't expect logic.

The other likely candidates are Xhekaj, Struble and Harris, way before Barron and Savard.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Why do you assume he's not getting resigned ? Also history dictates the nice return is not gonna be that nice.

Theres not too many bodies on the right side, it's the left side that is overstaffed. Logic dictates Matheson is the one that should be moved but I know Hughes is partial to him because he's known him for a decade and he's been his client forever so I don't expect logic.

The other likely candidates are Xhekaj, Struble and Harris, way before Barron and Savard.
I think he’ll get moved because he’ll be 34 in Oct and doesn’t fit a rebuild. He’s already lost a step he was already behind on and will only get worse with time. That’s means his value will only decrease in the future getting you less for a player you don’t need now, much less extend in the future. So holding on to him will drop his value and make your statement of “history dictates the nice return is not gonna be that nice” a self fulfilling prophecy.

They have Reinbacher, Barron, Mailloux, right now, so extending Savard means a young, cheap body will have to be moved to make room for a 35 year old. They also have Konyushkov in the wings and several of the plentiful, young, cheap, LD who can also play RD Such as Guhle, Harris and Struble.

So I’ll ask you this. Why would the Habs not trade Savard for a late 1st or 2nd+ type package at the TDL to make space for the plethora of young D? Keep in mind, nothing is stopping or preventing them from signing or trading for a cheaper, and younger veteran RD IF the need arises.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
So I’ll ask you this. Why would the Habs not trade Savard for a late 1st or 2nd+ type package at the TDL to make space for the plethora of young D? Keep in mind, nothing is stopping or preventing them from signing or trading for a cheaper, and younger veteran RD IF the need arises.
I think the only way Savard does NOT get moved at TDL is because (1) of injury, or (2) the market for RD is terrible (which is unlikely). The Habs have one salary retention spot left, which probably gets used here to maximize the return.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think the only way Savard does NOT get moved at TDL is because (1) of injury, or (2) the market for RD is terrible (which is unlikely). The Habs have one salary retention spot left, which probably gets used here to maximize the return.
100%. Not trading him and extending him makes zero sense. I’d bet money on it if anyone was brave enough to take the bet!

Reactions: BLONG7

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
11,452,295 which is a dollar over the 4 ist round pick minimum. I do not care about the "Suzuki" limit.
Interesting, normally you woul do just under the 4 1st rounders, do you think that makes it more attractive for them to let him go?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

The other option is that we are in or close to a playoff spot and Hughes values his leadership and experience to get them there. Perhaps some of our young guys are hurt and not able to step in anyways.

There are just so many scenarios that nobody should be digging in on any predictions at this date in August.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The other option is that we are in or close to a playoff spot and Hughes values his leadership and experience to get them there. Perhaps some of our young guys are hurt and not able to step in anyways.

There are just so many scenarios that nobody should be digging in on any predictions at this date in August.
We could if healthy challenge for a WC spot for sure..............that said, he would be valuable more to us....
Still think we are more than likely to fall back, and he likely gets traded at the TDL.

How long is Suzuki supposed to be the highest paid player on the team?
Until we sign someone better........or Demidov could change that narrative.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
No, offer sheets only work if you offer an overpayment for an unproven player. NYI would match instantly like for Aho.

My hope is that we start hearing that Dobson is hesitant to sign because that team is heading nowhere, and that we can offer a Mailloux +++ package because Barron/Engstrom/Konyushkov are trending above expectations.
Offer Sheet is only way we ever going to sign top free agent. Top UFA will next sign here

Dobson is darn close to being a franchise altering dman, if there was any sort of a possibility to get him, we'd be crazy not to put everything on the line to make it happen.
Well, he's RFA next summer. Habs have the caproom to over spend and extra draft picks to lose.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think he’ll get moved because he’ll be 34 in Oct and doesn’t fit a rebuild. He’s already lost a step he was already behind on and will only get worse with time. That’s means his value will only decrease in the future getting you less for a player you don’t need now, much less extend in the future. So holding on to him will drop his value and make your statement of “history dictates the nice return is not gonna be that nice” a self fulfilling prophecy.

They have Reinbacher, Barron, Mailloux, right now, so extending Savard means a young, cheap body will have to be moved to make room for a 35 year old. They also have Konyushkov in the wings and several of the plentiful, young, cheap, LD who can also play RD Such as Guhle, Harris and Struble.

Everything you've said applies to Matheson and he doesn't play a position where there's one good NHL player.

Interesting, normally you woul do just under the 4 1st rounders, do you think that makes it more attractive for them to let him go?
Of course it does. A 1st a 2nd and a 3rd (I think that's what it is) is a nothing return for a player as good as that.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Everything you've said applies to Matheson and he doesn't play a position where there's one good NHL player.

Of course it does. A 1st a 2nd and a 3rd (I think that's what it is) is a nothing return for a player as good as that.
Correct except for for Hutson who should be an Matheson replacement before Matheson gets traded by the 2026 TDL. But you still haven’t answered the question of why the Habs wouldn’t trade Savard before the next TDL.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not true.

Matheson is 30 in October, not 34.

Matheson is not already slow and getting slower.

Matheson has 2 years left, Savard is on his last year.

Matheson is underpaid right now, Savard overpaid.

The two situations could not be more different, other than both are local boys and perfectly bilingual.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'd say it's almost impossible for the market for a dman like Savard to be terrible if he is playing like the last 2 years. He is RHD. He is playing well both side of the ice. Not a PP guy but he's getting his fair share of assists he is not purely a stay at home guy. And he got a cup and played well in playoffs over his career.

There will be a market. KH got a 2nd for Kulak and a 1st for Chiarot ... both LHD and both imo not better than Savard and less experienced. We already have two 2nd round picks for next draft along with 3 third rounds picks. There's value in adding another 2nd round pick or even two (one for Dvorak or Armia if they rebounce) at the next TDL as we could use all those picks to move up in the first round next draft.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
So we take Ceci & Kulak from Edmonton along with their 2026 1st for Harris

Flip Gallagher and Ceci to the Pens for Letang and keep Kulak to be this years Kovacevic

Then trade Matheson and Mesar to the Jets for McG

Anderson and Armia to the Jackets for Laine

Savard at 50% to the Preds for Tomasino

Am I missing anyone that’s linked to the Habs?

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
How long is Suzuki supposed to be the highest paid player on the team?
Demidov has a huge change of being the highest paid player with the Habs. Unlike Slaf, he would play in the NHl at the age of 19 (vs 18 for Slaf). The cap would also increase by the time Demidov finish his rookie contract. If Demidov don't burst, i can see a contract around 8.5-9m for him.

Reactions: Andrei79

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So we take Ceci & Kulak from Edmonton along with their 2026 1st for Harris

Flip Gallagher and Ceci to the Pens for Letang and keep Kulak to be this years Kovacevic

Then trade Matheson and Mesar to the Jets for McG

Anderson and Armia to the Jackets for Laine

Savard at 50% to the Preds for Tomasino

Am I missing anyone that’s linked to the Habs?

You're missing ...

"Profit !!!"

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad