HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Yes, but then they have to weigh the fact that they'll have to overpay Seider by 2-3 millions, theyll have to pay to get rid of Holl or whatever and they will have to give up 4 1st.

It costs nothing on our part and it costs them something. It's like destroying an airport terminal during a war, it's not something you can't get over but it's something that might win you the war in the end.
I'm an ass, so I would still probably do it if I were HuGo lol. The point is though, the probability of being successful for the Habs, is close to 0%. Since I feel Yzerman has the resources, and would do everything in his power to keep Seider.

Reactions: Runner77 and Mrb1p

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I would to, just to cash strap then a little at worse.
Burning a bridge (with a team we've recently dealt with) while making our own future RFA negotiations more difficult (likely costing us more in future deals) and pissing off existing core players, all for the "gain" of putting ~2-3M$ cap pressure on a team with lots of current and upcoming cap flexibility, seems like a very poor strategy....

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Burning a bridge (with a team we've recently dealt with) while making our own future RFA negotiations more difficult (likely costing us more in future deals) and pissing off existing core players, all for the "gain" of putting ~2-3M$ cap pressure on a team with lots of current and upcoming cap flexibility, seems like a very poor strategy....
2-3m for 8 years is a pretty hefty drawback. Is the bridge burnt ? I don't know. Is Detroit really going to deal with us when were both competing ? Theyre likely to be one of our two biggest rival in the division.

Also Im pretty sure Suzuki wants to win a cup, not be the most paid player on his team. Adding a guy like Seider would propel this rebuild up to the forefront of the NHL.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The only teams who have their players get offers. Are the teams that try to nickel and dime their players (Aho) or wait until the last minute to re-sign them. We could have re-signed KK with the money we spent on Hoffman and Savard. The Oilers could have re-signed Broberg and Holloway with the money they used to sign Skinner.

If HuGo is smart, which I'm guessing we can agree he is. He'll know what it would take to re-sign the examples you provided above. Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky and Ghule. All signed early, because HuGo sees them as important elements for our future.
I agree that signing your key players as soon as possible is what you need to do in most cases, but I don't think it's realistic to expect that we can do that with every single player.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Okay burning a bridge, I'll give you. The goal is to win though, not to have a buddy to have drinks with at the GM meetings.

How? One player does not set the tone. Neither Caufield nor Slafkovsky were as proven as Suzuki when they signed their contracts. Which is why they made less money. It's more the market that sets the tone.

Also I'm sure if you went up to Suzuki (who is dying for the team to play more competitive hockey). That he wouldn't whine and sulk about the money being paid to Seider. He's be quite happy at a long term addition, that would help the team improve.

What do you want to do with all that long term cap flexibilty? You want to sign players who will help you long term. Which is why, in the right setting. You hammer a team, so that you can obtain what you want.

Reactions: Runner77 and Mrb1p

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I agree that signing your key players as soon as possible is what you need to do in most cases, but I don't think it's realistic to expect that we can do that with every single player.
True, but in fairness. Each player is different. Some may want to accept team friendly deals. While others, are only looking out for themselves. Due to some careers being very short. I can respect both sides of the coin. The secret is communication. HuGo should know well in advance what a player or their agent is looking for money and term wise. If there's a mutual agreement. You sign them like we did with say Caufield and Slafkovsky. If not, you wait until the right moment and you trade them.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I mean for that to happen you'd need a) for the player to accept the offer which doesn't mean would happen based on team culture unless it's a huge overpay and b) put yourself in a situation where you drag negotiations to that point which would be very disappointing by HuGo knowing how often teams seek revenge after an OS.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I’d be far more concerned about Letang’s health than anything else. This is a player who has already suffered two strokes.

Trading any consequential assets for this player at this stage would be an act of utter folly.
Concussions, you mean? Normally you are careful with your choice of words. Stroke survivors don't play hockey for a living.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Okay burning a bridge, I'll give you. The goal is to win though, not to have a buddy to have drinks with at the GM meetings.
Sure. But my post didn't suggest we should prioritize friendliness over our club needs...

Using OS just to drive up the inevitable signing for a rival GM (which is what that post was suggesting) is a poor strategy & would sour relationships unnecessarily.

Being on strong professional terms with rivals is a more effective way to achieve our goals.

How? One player does not set the tone. Neither Caufield nor Slafkovsky were as proven as Suzuki when they signed their contracts. Which is why they made less money. It's more the market that sets the tone.

Seider isn't "proven" at 11+M$ either... Heck, he wasn't even top 15 in Norris voting.

If you don't think players pay attention to contracts, not sure what to tell you.

It's hard to do, but as the Bs showed with Bergeron/Marchand, a club can build buy in from players to accept less than full market value to stay a part of a big picture vision. KH is quite clearly building that kind of culture. A move like this would completely unravel that.

Player's are people first.

Also I'm sure if you went up to Suzuki (who is dying for the team to play more competitive hockey). That he wouldn't whine and sulk about the money being paid to Seider. He's be quite happy at a long term addition, that would help the team improve.
So on the one hand, you can see how the bigger picture can affect a player's perspective, but on the other hand you claim the market sets the tone... See the inconsistency?

In both cases, nuance matters.

And again, were not even talking about adding Seider... We're talking about getting him to sign an OS we know the red Wings will match, just to put cap pressure on them.

Suzuki & co. are left without the addition, but the message that their boss values a guy in their age bracket (who is only marginally more "proven") 50% more...

& what of RB, Hutson & Demidov in the near future? Rather than being able to leverage the consistency found in the Guhle/Slaf/CC/Suzuki/Dach/Newhook contracts, KH will be stuck praying their agents don't convince them to find OS like the one Ken threw at Seider.... Agents, and players, have long memories.

What do you want to do with all that long term cap flexibilty? You want to sign players who will help you long term. Which is why, in the right setting. You hammer a team, so that you can obtain what you want.

You build a culture of excellence and an organization player's want to be a part of long term... You draft & develop well, and manage your cap to be in a position to strike when opportunities appear to bolster your roster with players that fit your needs & long term plan.

You don't throw darts at the dart board just for the sake of it, and you don't play chicken with rivals GMs just to try to mess with their cap situation by marginal amounts (in this case, less than 3%).

The entire premise, OS Seider so that the wings pay him 11M$ instead of the 8-9M$ he likely settles on, is beyond unrealistic and in much less polite territory...

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I suspect that many of the same people who think that it's impossible to trade within the division will also say no to sending an offer sheet within the division. It's very weird.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Sure. But my post didn't suggest we should prioritize friendliness over our club needs...
True, but your concern was burning bridges. Which I took to mean that it would eliminate any future contact with the RedWings.

Using OS just to drive up the inevitable signing for a rival GM (which is what that post was suggesting) is a poor strategy & would sour relationships unnecessarily.
I'll give you this. That would be considered an "asshole" move. That could cause future ramifications. My reasoning for doing it would be to improve our team. Sadly there would probably be some hurt feelings along the way.

Being on strong professional terms with rivals is a more effective way to achieve our goals.
Yes, that is the ideal way to do things. It's a business though, so I like looking at all my options. Some may be pleasant, some not so much.

Seider isn't "proven" at 11+M$ either... Heck, he wasn't even top 15 in Norris voting.
Agreed, but everything he's shown so far, shows he's heading in that direction. To have a shot at getting him. You'd have to pay above market value.

If you don't think players pay attention to contracts, not sure what to tell you.
Oh they do, especially since they've made Salaries available for everyone to see. In saying that, do you not think players pay attention to improvements made by management? Would the players be happy if they didn't try to improve the team. Just so they can keep within a certain financial limit?

It's hard to do, but as the Bs showed with Bergeron/Marchand, a club can build buy in from players to accept less than full market value to stay a part of a big picture vision. KH is quite clearly building that kind of culture. A move like this would completely unravel that.
Yes it's commendable that they were able to do that for such a long period of time. But do you think they'd say "Meh Leon Draisaitl wants to sign with us" "But he'd make more than Marchand/Pastrnak, so we'll have to pass". If the right situation arises, things change.

Player's are people first.
Yes, there might be some resentment. The bottom line is, these players want to win. So I'd hope they'd be more concerned with that. Then if they got enough on their latest contract.

So on the one hand, you can see how the bigger picture can affect a player's perspective, but on the other hand you claim the market sets the tone... See the inconsistency?
Yes I can see it, if you had two players currently on the team, who were valued equally. Yet one was paid more than the other. In the case of adding a player who makes more money, too improve the team. I would hope the players would understand, and not sulk over it.

Suzuki & co. are left without the addition, but the message that their boss values a guy in their age bracket (who is only marginally more "proven") 50% more...
They could look at it like that. If their only concern was for themselves. Or they could look at it as management is doing all they can to improve the team.

& what of RB, Hutson & Demidov in the near future? Rather than being able to leverage the consistency found in the Guhle/Slaf/CC/Suzuki/Dach/Newhook contracts, KH will be stuck praying their agents don't convince them to find OS like the one Ken threw at Seider.... Agents, and players, have long memories.
So in other words, we should forget about adding a player who will make more money than Suzuki? Which would limit our team to how well Suzuki does. If RB, Hutson & Demidov all hit their potential, they will get paid. Also who's to say that all or any of them will follow the trend set by Suzuki?

You build a culture of excellence and an organization player's want to be a part of long term... You draft & develop well, and manage your cap to be in a position to strike when opportunities appear to bolster your roster with players that fit your needs & long term plan.
No organization, whether it be an NHL team, Microsoft or your local mom and pop pizza shop. Will follow a long term plan to the letter. There are always going to be issues or factors that force you to alter your plans. I'd be quite surprised if HuGo's long term plan, is set in stone. Without allowing for some flexibility.

You don't throw darts at the dart board just for the sake of it, and you don't play chicken with rivals GMs just to try to mess with their cap situation by marginal amounts (in this case, less than 3%).
Since HuGo hasn't done this. It's me that's throwing darts at the dart board. I made the decision based on my little knowledge of Seider. Where if HuGo were to follow that route. I'm sure a lot more time, thought and effort, would be put into the decision.

The entire premise, OS Seider so that the wings pay him 11M$ instead of the 8-9M$ he likely settles on,is beyond asinine.
Yes, and I agree with you. I"ve already said it's an asshole move, that really doesn't accomplish anything positive. Except maybe putting the Wings in a tight situation financially.

My point of making the OS to Seider is to get him.

Reactions: Runner77

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Because Makar And Fox are under contract, so that is not doable?

Sending Seider an offer sheet is doable, so what's the matter? Chicken?
They can ask. He likely won't be interested. Even if he did sign one Detroit would match whatever the offer was.

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
They can ask. He likely won't be interested. Even if he did sign it Detroit would match whatever the offer was.
Oh I understand that, but I would send it to him nevertheless. Make sure he knows we mean business in MTL :nod:

Got to do something entertaining with that 17 mil cap space come game 1 you know. :laugh:

Would you trade Mailloux+ 2nd for Askarov?
No I'd do:

Harris, Primeau & a 2nd though...

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
They can ask. He likely won't be interested. Even if he did sign it Detroit would match whatever the offer was.

I’m neutral to a Seider OS, but why Seider wouldn’t be interested ? Yzerman is notorious to be a hard ass in negotiations. Look at Stamkos in Tampa couple years ago. Other players from the lightning have said that he will try to squeeze you under market value. He did the same to Larkin his current captain.

Training camp starts in a few weeks and both Seider and Raymond are unsigned.

If we offer Seider 11M/year and Yzerman won’t budge at 8M, over the course of 8 years that’s 24M$. Would Seider leave 24M$ on the table on his first big contract?

And from a sporting POV he’s playing with Chariot in Detroit, he’d play with Guhle or Hutson here. 24M$ more and Guhle/Hutson as his long-term partner. And living in Montreal > living in Detroit.

I think he would sign that OS in no time.

Would you trade Mailloux+ 2nd for Askarov?

Nashville would be the one adding to Askarov to get Mailloux.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Concussions, you mean? Normally you are careful with your choice of words. Stroke survivors don't play hockey for a living.
My understanding is that Letang suffers from a condition known as Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO), which is a hole between the left and right upper chambers of the heart. This condition led to the two strokes Letang suffered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad