HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
What do people think the value, in draft picks , is for each of Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux and Barron ?

I see these 4 as our best chances of developing into no.1D and no.3D players. I skip no.2D as that can be for a more defensive player whereas no.3D you look for a Petry like guy.

There have been many trade proposals and usually its Barron or Mailloux being moved. I am reluctant to trade them as I think what we get back doesn't make up for their loss as a potential top 3D, regardless if the long odds for someone like Barron.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It's still a RD with size for a goalie. If we didn't have those guys, I'd be doing it.. but last thing that looks good is Mailloux being a major hit and Fowler becoming a legit 1.
Always depend of your evaluation of those players too. Like I said, I’m not very high on Mailloux having major doubt on his IQ and in my roaster building strategy, I don’t what to have 2 Dmen I can’t trust defensively in my top 4

And I see Askarov as Vézina contender all though I’m far from having your goalie perspective

Reactions: Mrb1p and the

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If we didn't have Fowler, Dobes and Volokhin, I might feel differently.. but we do, so I don't. I wouldn't trade Mailloux for Askarov.
That's where I'm at. We already have a stud goalie prospect and two other young guys who did well last season. I don't know why we'd create a hole in the lineup to create a logjam somewhere else. Maybe Askarov is the next Hasek... I don't know him well enough to say but by all accounts Fowler seems to have great potential.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What do people think the value, in draft picks , is for each of Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux and Barron ?

I see these 4 as our best chances of developing into no.1D and no.3D players. I skip no.2D as that can be for a more defensive player whereas no.3D you look for a Petry like guy.

There have been many trade proposals and usually its Barron or Mailloux being moved. I am reluctant to trade them as I think what we get back doesn't make up for their loss as a potential top 3D, regardless if the long odds for someone like Barron.

My uninformed guesses:

Reinbacher: A top five pick and a late 1st
Hutson: Two late 1sts.
Mailloux: Late 1st and 2nd.
Barron: 2nd and 3rd.

So absolutely not worth treading for the Habs'. The priority needs to be figuring out whom the Habs should keep, which will take a season if Hughes is lucky.

Trading Mailloux for example becomes an option if it turns out that Barron improves by a lot this year. Or the other way around.

Reiterating: forget the draft picks, the priority must be recognizing whom the top four will be.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Always depend of your evaluation of those players too. Like I said, I’m not very high on Mailloux having major doubt on his IQ and in my roaster building strategy, I don’t what to have 2 Dmen I can’t trust defensively in my top 4

And I see Askarov as Vézina contender all though I’m far from having your goalie perspective

I also have doubt on his defense IQ but I've seen enough toolsy defenders in the league like Bouchard become valuable to their teams despite the IQ not being there, simply because the tools are loud enough.

I think Askarov is the best goalie prospect in the world and he's probably the best goalie prospect I've seen since Vasilevskiy.

But does the upside of Askarov over Fowler account for Mailloux? I don't think it does.

That's where I'm at. We already have a stud goalie prospect and two other young guys who did well last season. I don't know why we'd create a hole in the lineup to create a logjam somewhere else. Maybe Askarov is the next Hasek... I don't know him well enough to say but by all accounts Fowler seems to have great potential.

It's like Vasilevskiy vs. Oettinger. Vasilevskiy is clearly in the top 1-3 every year of goalies.. while Oettinger is a true #1 goalie but might only have a season or two where he's legitimately competing for the Vezina. You'll be able to win cups with Oettinger.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I also have doubt on his defense IQ but I've seen enough toolsy defenders in the league like Bouchard become valuable to their teams despite the IQ not being there, simply because the tools are loud enough.

I think Askarov is the best goalie prospect in the world and he's probably the best goalie prospect I've seen since Vasilevskiy.

But does the upside of Askarov over Fowler account for Mailloux? I don't think it does.
At the same time if Fowler pan out, you can trade him for a piece that you miss

Reactions: Mrb1p and EveryDay

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
At the same time if Fowler pan out, you can trade him for a piece that you miss

I would suspect Fowler would be part of the return but that's just me.

Either way, it's tempting now that he's demanded a trade to get in there.. with a trade demand in place, I'm not so sure it would cost too much. Maybe Fowler with a small kicker for Askarov works for them.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I'm a big fan of the idea of getting Askarov. I'd feel like he'd be put in a good spot to grow here.

Monty has grown on me a little bit but I'm definitely not a long-term Monty/Primeau truther. Fowler is going to be good but that will be in a bit (not saying we should trade him for Askarov, just pointing that out).

DO YA WANT ANY D, NASHVILLE????

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I would suspect Fowler would be part of the return but that's just me.

Either way, it's tempting now that he's demanded a trade to get in there.. with a trade demand in place, I'm not so sure it would cost too much. Maybe Fowler with a small kicker for Askarov works for them.
If we can get him without giving Mailloux that would be perfect

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Likely is an understatement. Unless you ofefr him 14 millions a year for 7 years the Wings will match. And even at 14 millions i'm not 100% sure they wont.
Only a crack addict would give Seider $14M a year. Anything over $9-10M AAV is nuts given the current market imo.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Ceci wont go for a 1st. He's worth probably s 2nd at the deadline so if you get a 2nd for taking his contract then it's likely two 2nd round picks in return after the deadline. A team will surely bite for a 2nd.
As expected Edmonton did not have to pay a lot to get rid of Ceci. Only a 3rd round pick. They even got a young 7th dman in return. Was not worth doing it imo from our point of view.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Burnt bridges can be rebuilt... I dont think any situation would "eliminate any future contact" btw two clubs (though I suspect some GMs may well hold such grudges as to refuse to deal with each other... But that kind of immaturity doesn't seem to fit either KH or Yzerman)
Agreed, I think that both KH and Yzerman realize this is a business and not personal.

How would a failed OS improve our team? (Premise I replied to was an OS we know will be matched just to Tie up wings cap at higher $)
When I made my comment. I didn't know that the Wings had that much cap space available. So my intention was to get Seider. Knowing what I know now. I honestly wouldn't waste my time making one.

I don't think it's either/or.

But I do think that they are selling the young core on their commitment to build a sustainable cup contending roster... And have been successful thus far getting long term commitments at very team friendly terms as a result. Giving an external RFA a massive premium on a similar long term deal would run the risk of rubbing that same young core the wrong way, and make it unlikely future internal RFAs accept anything less than market premium. I suspect the Blues may face this issue next summer with any of their in house RFAs that have a good year... "Fortunately" for them, they don't have any blue chip prospects to worry about.

If it were just about "improving the team", they could've spent on July 1st... Re-signed/not traded Monahan... Trade picks/prospects for immediate help etc. we'll see very quickly this season how bought in our core is with how mnmgt approached the offseason. I suspect we'll see continued buy in even if the team struggles.
Yes I believe they are trying to set that type of tone. HuGo also got lucky though. They've used Suzuki as the bench mark for salaries. At the time and probably still now, he was/is our best player. Let's switch things around a little bit. Say it was Caufield who they used to set the bench mark. Would Suzuki be happy receiving less money than Caufield, when he is clearly our best player? Eventually someone is going to top Suzuki's salary. Whether it be a current or recently drafted player. Or even a player we add in a trade or that we might happen to OS. So with your way of thinking. We can only add players who make less than Suzuki. In fear of pissing someone off.

I should have been more specific, but I didn't think I had too. Yes I want to improve the team, but only in ways that make sense. Adding an older UFA for example, didn't make sense to me. Unless we could get them at a reasonable price and term. Seeing the contract that Monahan signed with CLB. It didn't make sense to re-sign him. Obtaining the addition 1st rd pick made more sense.

Ok. And from what you know of Seider and of the Red Wings cap & roster/prospect situation, what OS # do you think it takes for him to sign and the red Wings not match?

The premise of 11M as an asshole move to bump up the Wings cap charge was what I called out as unrealistic from every perspective. It's a silly & self-defeating idea that, fortunately, would be completely out of character to the current leadership group.

The premise of an OS that actually gets us the player is a different question...

I think OS are a tool every GM should be ready to use. When MB bungled the Aho OS, the issue was precisely that he made an offer easily and obviously matched (apparently from some misguided idea the Canes owner couldn't/wouldn't match for cash flow reasons IIRC)

I have a hard time seeing the Wings balk at any number that wouldn't also be stupid for us to pay him (plus the 4*1st cost, the first of which might well still be a lottery pick even with Seider in house when you consider our roster as is would have to trim another 5-6M$ by opening day)...

Curious what # you think works?
Knowing now that the Wings have 17m+ in cap space. Plus a few players they can dump off to create even more space. I don't think there is a realistic number that would make an OS feasible.

Yes that's why I called it an asshole move. I also stated that I would do it, because I'm an ass lol I never said that HuGo should or would ever do something like that.

At the time I agreed to the suggestion of sending an OS to Seider. I didn't know what the Wings cap situation was. Now that I do, as I mentioned earlier. I wouldn't waste my time sending one.

I totally agree, an OS can be a valuable tool, if used properly. We can both agree that not a lot of thought was put into the Aho OS by Bergevin.

As I said, I agreed to the suggestion not knowing the Wings cap situation.

You could look at it that way. Or you can look at it as we're adding a valuable player, who will greatly improve our chances of not finishing as a bottom 10 team. Meaning our 4 1st rd picks, won't be as valuable as if we were to keep the team as it is.

HuGo has already proven that they can create cap space if needed. So that would be the last of my worries.

Reactions: Runner77

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
As expected Edmonton did not have to pay a lot to get rid of Ceci. Only a 3rd round pick. They even got a young 7th dman in return. Was not worth doing it imo from our point of view.
Definitely not worth doing.

Mike Greer is the new Pierre Dorion. Bailing out other GMs for ridiculous costs.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
True. While they should have been forced to give up a 1st you know some GM will make a bad deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad