HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Always depend of your evaluation of those players too. Like I said, I’m not very high on Mailloux having major doubt on his IQ and in my roaster building strategy, I don’t what to have 2 Dmen I can’t trust defensively in my top 4

And I see Askarov as Vézina contender all though I’m far from having your goalie perspective
If Nashville kept Saros over him then they don't think he is any good. Saros is not that good himself.

• Haha
Reactions: EveryDay

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Only things I know about Askarov:

1 - selected 11th OA.
2 - struggled at the WJC with Russia. Granted, struggling in that tournament doesn't mean you won't be great in the NHL.
3 - he bench pressed the net after a win in the AHL.

That's all I know about him. I don't know how good he truly is. I never watched him in Milwaukee to get a sense of him. So I'm not here advocating whether Habs should trade for him or not. But I'm not mad at keeping the Monty/Primeau duo. Between the two, they started a little over 75% of the games last year and had a combined .906 SV%.

I think Habs need more help for their offense than they do in goal.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Still. Not sure we should even be targeting Askarov. Two years in the AHL of .910 save % and even lower in the playoffs. Cayden Primeau has almost identical regular season AHL numbers as Askarov and totally kills him in the playoffs.

Askarov has athletic traits and ability that Primeau will never have. Numbers don't tell the whole story with goaltenders, especially goaltending prospects. He's a rare prospect which is why he went around top10 in a draft as a goalie.

You don't bend over backward from our perspective to do this, but if there's a bargain to be had here, it's well worth taking.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Still. Not sure we should even be targeting Askarov. Two years in the AHL of .910 save % and even lower in the playoffs. Cayden Primeau has almost identical regular season AHL numbers as Askarov and totally kills him in the playoffs.
So we should instead trade for Jack Campbell who had better stats than both in the AHL?

You just need to watch Askarov to see the talent and athleticism.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
So we should instead trade for Jack Campbell who had better stats than both in the AHL?

You just need to watch Askarov to see the talent and athleticism.
You should trade for nobody, that's what you should do. Goaltending isn't the issue and are you going to guarantee Askarov NHL time? And next year when he wants to be no.1 or bolt to Russia will you do that to?

As big a prospect as he is, Askarov has proven absolutely nothing in North America.

Reactions: dralaf

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Askarov struggled again in the AHL playoffs and he wants a garanteed NHL spot.
He might threaten to go to the KHL if he doesn't get what he wants.

Unless he comes cheap, i'd pass.
Did he say he wants a guarantee NHL spot?

Saros is signed until 2033 maybe he just wants to play for a team where he has a chance to eventually be number 1 before he turns 50.

Reactions: zeeto

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I cannot fathom going into this season with the same team as last year - Dach aside. It's crazy.

They are trying to organically grow the core of the team and the future elements of the core. I'm glad they didn't just throw Copp, Holl and other grenades in front of our young players on long term UFA details like Detroit

You should trade for nobody, that's what you should do. Goaltending isn't the issue and are you going to guarantee Askarov NHL time? And next year when he wants to be no.1 or bolt to Russia will you do that to?

As big a prospect as he is, Askarov has proven absolutely nothing in North America.
'I would absolutely guarantee him NHL time - see you later Cayden Primeau.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Goaltending is certainly an issue. We have guys playing over their heads. Montembeault would make a good tandem with Askarov who is only 22.

He’s not proven anything except being the go-to goalie for a really good AHL team two years in a row from the age of 20-22.

Reactions: Benstheman

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I don't like full right goalies, but I'd be interested in Askarov.

The problem is I'd be hesitant to trade the conditional 1st, as if I'm understanding it correctly, the Habs get the better of the 2 1sts if Calgary and Florida finish outside the bottom 10.

So, if Calgary finishes 11th and Florida 25th, Montreal gets the 11th overall pick and I'm not trading the 11th overall for any goalie prospect.

However, Calgary's team kinda sucks and they lost Markstrom, so have to imagine they won't finish just outside the top 10.

1st + for Askarov.

Primeau for a pick.

Question is, who then takes Primeau ? Chicago/San Jose/other ?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yes he said so.

He refused to report to the AHL team altogether. He will not play AHL any longer.
The news i've read he said he would not report to the AHL for Nashville. Nothing more. That doesn't mean much for me because he has almost 0 chance to play in the NHL for Nashville in the next 2 years and then he would be stuck as a number 2 for 10 trillion years. So saying he wont report to the AHL for Nashville is basically asking for a trade cause he's not part of the plan. Unless he clearly say i wont play in the AHL anywhere that doesn't mean much imo.

Reactions: zeeto

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Askarov is the best goaltending prospect in the entire NHL.

Nashville would need an AHL goaltender if they trade him so here's the deal.

Dobes + Barron + 1st FLO/CAL 2025(top10 protected).

Reactions: Benstheman

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
TBH, as good a prospect as Askarov is, I don't know how much better of a potential future NHL starter he is than guys like Dobes and Fowler, at the moment at least. There are quite a few question marks surrounding his attitude and mental makeup, the bust potential is pretty high. He's a real tempting project though, if he does make it in the NHL he'll probably be a star.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I don't like full right goalies, but I'd be interested in Askarov.

The problem is I'd be hesitant to trade the conditional 1st, as if I'm understanding it correctly, the Habs get the better of the 2 1sts if Calgary and Florida finish outside the bottom 10.

So, if Calgary finishes 11th and Florida 25th, Montreal gets the 11th overall pick and I'm not trading the 11th overall for any goalie prospect.

However, Calgary's team kinda sucks and they lost Markstrom, so have to imagine they won't finish just outside the top 10.

1st + for Askarov.

Primeau for a pick.

Question is, who then takes Primeau ? Chicago/San Jose/other ?
Primeau was solid last year, MTL would receive interest for him imo. Edmonton could use him instead of Pickard, Calgary as well.

Reactions: dralaf

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
TBH, as good a prospect as Askarov is, I don't know how much better of a potential future NHL starter he is than guys like Dobes and Fowler, at the moment at least. There are quite a few question marks surrounding his attitude and mental makeup. He's a real tempting project though, if he does make it in the NHL he'll probably be a star.
Except for the fact he’s younger than Dobes and was better than him in the same league?

Fowler has proven nothing. I love his attitude, but he’s just a solid goalie on a completely stacked college team. His development can go anywhere. He doesn’t have the same pedigree as Askarov.

Reactions: zeeto and Vachon23

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
1) Montembeault, Barron, and a 2nd for Askarov
2) Calgary 1st + Gallagher for Laine
3) Offersheet for Seider
4) Bearer bonds secretly transferred for Demidov

5)

Laine - Dach - Slafkovsky
Caulfield - Suzuki - Demidov
Armia - Newhook - Roy
Anderson - Evans - Pezzetta