HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
yes of course. Most teams actually do improve internally. This is why I find this particular counter argument rather lazy, since it applies to all teams at all times.

The question is whether the internal improvement is sufficient relative to other teams in the division. I do not find any particular club in the Atlantic to have improved in a significant way to nullify possible internal growth of the habs.
The problem is the internal improvement is going to come from guys like Harris and Anderson who do not move the needle whatsoever. They have a very obvious ceiling and that ceiling is “slightly better than replacement level”

We aren’t yet adding guys like Hutson, Demidov and Reinbacher who are the types of talent that can change the fortunes of a team.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
yes of course. Most teams actually do improve internally. This is why I find this particular counter argument rather lazy, since it applies to all teams at all times.

The question is whether the internal improvement is sufficient relative to other teams in the division. I do not find any particular club in the Atlantic to have improved in a significant way to nullify possible internal growth of the habs.
The lazy part is when you don't take the time to acknowledge the roles and the potential of the player who will internally improve vs those of the other teams.

Our 5 best forward and half of our defense is on this upward trajectory. On top of Reinbacher, Hutson and Demidov.

Barely a few team in the league are in a similar spot when it comes to organic growth. Most of the teams like Boston and Toronto or Tampa Bay have to go agressive on FA because in fact, their organic growth have plateaued.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The lazy part is when you don't take the time to acknowledge the roles and the potential of the player who will internally improve vs those of the other teams.

Our 5 best forward and half of our defense is on this upward trajectory. On top of Reinbacher, Hutson and Demidov.

Barely a few team in the league are in a similar spot when it comes to organic growth. Most of the teams like Boston and Toronto or Tampa Bay have to go agressive on FA because in fact, their organic growth have plateaued.
And it’s also lazy to assume everyone is on an upwards trajectory just because they are young.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Askarov even if he might have more upside, the asking price is a deal breaker we can spend that much on a goalie when we still don’t know if our D or top prospect will pan out, our goalie situation isn’t great but it is ok.

Reactions: LaP

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Preds have been trying to trade him for the past two years (at least) and have had no takers. The reported price is dropping year over year and I can’t imagine it’ll be any better now that he’s asked for a trade.

I’m not certain if he’s an improvement on Primeau or not, but I’m not sure Habs jump in on this after Hughes has already rejected a trade offer for him. Hope he gets moved to a team that plays him and he does well, just highly doubt it’s the Habs.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
And it’s also lazy to assume everyone is on an upwards trajectory just because they are young.
Sure, but we're not talking about every young player. We're talking about specific prospects/young players who have shown good ceilings and progression. Guhle, Dach, Hutson, Slaf, and to a certain extent Newhook improving is not insignificant. These are all players that can impact the game in a meaningful way if they continue to progress.

Dach reaching his potential is not the same as Evans reaching his potential. Guhle taking the next step is not the same as Harris taking the next step. Dach, Guhle, Slaf, Hutson, all have ability to impact the game by developing. We're not talking about players like McCarron, Poehling, De La Rose here.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Only things I know about Askarov:

1 - selected 11th OA.
2 - struggled at the WJC with Russia. Granted, struggling in that tournament doesn't mean you won't be great in the NHL.
3 - he bench pressed the net after a win in the AHL.

That's all I know about him. I don't know how good he truly is. I never watched him in Milwaukee to get a sense of him. So I'm not here advocating whether Habs should trade for him or not. But I'm not mad at keeping the Monty/Primeau duo. Between the two, they started a little over 75% of the games last year and had a combined .906 SV%.

I think Habs need more help for their offense than they do in goal.
.906% with a rookie defense.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Sure, but we're not talking about every young player. We're talking about specific prospects/young players who have shown good ceilings and progression. Guhle, Dach, Hutson, Slaf, and to a certain extent Newhook improving is not insignificant. These are all players that can impact the game in a meaningful way if they continue to progress.

Dach reaching his potential is not the same as Evans reaching his potential. Guhle taking the next step is not the same as Harris taking the next step. Dach, Guhle, Slaf, Hutson, all have ability to impact the game by developing. We're not talking about players like McCarron, Poehling, De La Rose here.
It’s still banking on a player coming off a major knee injury and missing an entire season. Hutson we aren’t even sure is going to play in the NHL this season. Newhook isn’t going to be much better than last year, he just might play more games. I’ll temper my expectations on Slaf, but the issue was never the production of the 1st line

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Askarov even if he might have more upside, the asking price is a deal breaker we can spend that much on a goalie when we still don’t know if our D or top prospect will pan out, our goalie situation isn’t great but it is ok.
I don’t think the cost is worth it and I think we’re pretty solid in goal. Maybe Fowler isn’t a blue chipper, maybe he is. Monty is young, Primeau might emerge and there’s still Dobes. Someone will take the reins. I don’t want another Mcdonagh or Sergechev situation where they give up a promising defenceman.

So then giving an elite prospect the tap water should make him the next Carey Price
Boil it first!

• Haha
Reactions: le_sean

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
- Laine at full cap hit for Dvorak + Harris

- McGroarty for Mailloux

- Askarov for Barron + Primeau + later of Habs / Cgy 2025 1st rounder (top-15 protected)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No interest in askarov , just give anybody in our system some of that good old local Montreal tap water and they will become a starting goaltender , as usual , like clockwork.
Its actually Jacques Plantes bodily fluid. It's been told that Carey fell into it at 19 thinking it was beer.

- Laine at full cap hit for Dvorak + Harris

- McGroarty for Mailloux

- Askarov for Barron + Primeau + later of Habs / Cgy 2025 1st rounder (top-15 protected)
Why would CBJ do this? Dvorak is a cap dump and Harris is a 3rd. Also unsure we can get McGro for Mailloux.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Its actually Jacques Plantes bodily fluid. It's been told that Carey fell into it at 19 thinking it was beer.

Why would CBJ do this? Dvorak is a cap dump and Harris is a 3rd. Also unsure we can get McGro for Mailloux.
You are right- Mcgroarty isn't enough for Mailloux.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
You guys don't think he's a bit young ( for a goaltender ) to ask for a trade?

To a degree, but I understand his perspective if the rumors Nashville's been dangling him are true (I'm leaning yes based on information known).

Combine that with them signing Wedgewood to 2 years, there are few indications he'll have a real shot at the NHL this year as a backup for the Predators. He is coming off the last year of his entry level deal as well, so if he's stuck in the AHL again, money earning potential is nada on the next contract.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It’s still banking on a player coming off a major knee injury and missing an entire season. Hutson we aren’t even sure is going to play in the NHL this season. Newhook isn’t going to be much better than last year, he just might play more games. I’ll temper my expectations on Slaf, but the issue was never the production of the 1st line
So, there is a difference between what you expect someone's potential to be, and whether you think they will get there.

I strongly believe that the potential of Dach, Slaf, Guhle, Hutson are as good as any of the young players in the Atlantic. And I am fairly bullish on them on achieving close to that potential.

I can see why some people may not be as bullish, and that is fine. That is why I prefaced my post by saying "in theory" internal growth can propel the team forward. In theory, the talent to impact the game is actually there. I am hopeful that they will reach that level.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
You guys don't think he's a bit young ( for a goaltender ) to ask for a trade?
This year sort of. But Nashville has two vets goalies signed for this year and next. He should be getting NHL experience as a backup no later than next season. I know, i know, he can steal Wedgewood role bla bla bla but you got to see this with the perspective of the player. For him the two vets are signed for the next two seasons.

Wedgewood was signed last summer for two years it was certainly not to display him as a furniture and the team spent so much money last summer on vets to win a cup that he certainly doesn't like his chance to play in the NHL this year and next no matter what happen. So after that he'll be 24 with no NHL exprience. I'm not saying if i was him i'd ask for a trade but i'd certainly not be happy with the situation that's for sure.

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Fair assumption. Montebault has played behind a very young, inexperienced defense during his time with the Habs. As our team defense improves, I expect to see Monty improve along with them.
Primeau has also played behind the same defense and he had a .910 % last year....Mrazek had a .908 % Chicago bad team....Ingram bad team in Arizona .907 % save percentage....Monty needs to stop more pucks if Montreal is ever going to compete for a playoff spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad