HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Why not Seider and Raymond instead?
Det has the space to match so unlikely to be successful. Also you are kind of limited to a 5 yr deal like the aho attempt otherwise you will be in the 4 1st rounder compensation level. The compensation is calculated based on total contract value over the number of years or 5 whichever is lower. So If you offersheet Seider at 8.5M for 8 years, the compensation is not calculated on 8.5M but rather 8.5*8/5 which is 13.6M and subject to 4 1st round picks.

Edit, the offersheet works best on a promising player coming off ELC who has not really proved it yet. You can over pay on a 2-3 yr contract and keep the compensation reasonable. What Blues just did and what Carolina tried with KK.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Det has the space to match so unlikely to be successful. Also you are kind of limited to a 5 yr deal like the aho attempt otherwise you will be in the 4 1st rounder compensation level. The compensation is calculated based on total contract value over the number of years or 5 whichever is lower. So If you offersheet Seider at 8.5M for 8 years, the compensation is not calculated on 8.5M but rather 8.5*8/5 which is 13.6M and subject to 4 1st round picks.

Edit, the offersheet works best on a promising player coming off ELC who has not really proved it yet. You can over pay on a 2-3 yr contract and keep the compensation reasonable. What Blues just did and what Carolina tried with KK.

And then we'd put ourselves in a position where Detroit is mad and we could have any number of young talented players being in an OS potential situation.. that's what MB miscalculated, the comp wasn't high enough, the contract wasn't high enough, and it was an easy match but just enough to piss off Carolina.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Why not Seider and Raymond instead?
Man. why not.
There's no real opportunity to do it. Detroit has the cap to match any realistic offer sheet so you'd have to be into the 4x1st level which defeats the purpose (and they probably still match if it's Seider).

The value just doesn't really work since Detroit is currently trying to get those guys a little cheaper than their market value but would be totally fine paying them market value or even a little above under a rising cap with no other big contracts coming up. These offer sheets are tough for Edmonton because Holloway and Broberg were both valuable pieces to the Oilers under the assumption they'd sign a typical cheap RFA deal, but now that they're not actually cheap they become less valuable and the picks are more tempting.

In the Detroit case they'd be totally willing to "overpay" Raymond and Seider if that's what it came to, I guess you could argue it's beneficial to force a competitor to overpay a bit but probably not worth it if that puts a target on you for the Demidov extension.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
IMG_1994.jpeg

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I like it. Offersheets should be more prevalent.

I never understood the fear of becoming a pariah to other GMs. Do you want to win? Do you want to screw your rivals out of winning? Offersheet.

Big FAs never make it to FA anymore and it seems like GMs are scared to death of trading anyone of significance (probably more so now after trading Tkachuk essentially sunk Calgary and helped win FLA the cup).

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I like it. Offersheets should be more prevalent.

I never understood the fear of becoming a pariah to other GMs. Do you want to win? Do you want to screw your rivals out of winning? Offersheet.

Big FAs never make it to FA anymore and it seems like GMs are scared to death of trading anyone of significance (probably more so now after trading Tkachuk essentially sunk Calgary and helped win FLA the cup).
I doubt the Tkachuk trade would affect anything. What sank Calgary was the owner refusing to rebuild. They could have got good value for Tkachuk if they took prospects and draft picks.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't see why we would be interested in Letang unless they take back one of Gallagher or Anderson without retention. Letang is 37 and still signed for 4 more years. If Mailloux and Reinbacher both develop as NHLer that would be an issue.
Gotta be BS - 4-years left @ $6.1M??? For a 37yr old ?? Really?

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
There is no way Letang fits, as to what we are trying to do..............no way.
Age is awful and the salary is worse......and the term? That's bad folks, reeks of a Marc Bergevin type of GM.
Pittsburgh are an aging mess...............Crosby needs out of there asap.
hasn’t been extended as of Aug 13…

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I'm done with tanking but I don't see an urgency to sign/trade for vets. We're entering our window to improve, however our window to contend is still three/four years away. Let our highly-ranked U25 core develop. Progress will happen and we'll win a few more games.

Yes, we'll need to add vets between now and then, but only those who fit the same timeline as Demidov, Reinbacher, Hutson, etc. If players in the right age and talent bracket aren't available this season, Hughes can wait until next year.
My feeling is Vets are probably getting added to the bottom 6 next year. Especially the 4th line. I like a lot of the prospects that we have who project as bottom 6, but you can’t have a 4th line of 22 year olds. It just won’t work if you hope to compete.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
My feeling is Vets are probably getting added to the bottom 6 next year. Especially the 4th line. I like a lot of the prospects that we have who project as bottom 6, but you can’t have a 4th line of 22 year olds. It just won’t work if you hope to compete.
What about 1st line at 23 year old average, can it work? Just asking for a friend 😁

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I disagree the fourth line is where you want your kids to excel at a specific duties.
It's far easier to graduate a kid to start on a fourth line.
You don't do it if your not going to roll four lines but Suzuki started on four as did Danault.
I have no problems with Beck and Flojack starting on four by next season.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Lmao St. Louis burned the Oilers. Welcome back (not), Bowman.
Honestly not sure about that.

I mean Kulak is on an expiring contract and there's only 2 years remaining to Kane (including this one). Oilers are in a win now situation they could match and trade a 2026 pick with Kulak for future consideration and a 2027 pick with Kane for future consideration.

Kulak is nothing special Broberg should be better this year. Kane had a terrible playoffs run last year. There's a good chance Holloway will give you close to what Kane did but with a better attitude. Kane will be 32 this season and in playofs last year he looked done wont be surprise if he hits a wall this year.

Reactions: Rapala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad