HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
next years top 5 is so deep, I hope we suck hard one more year. We have so many holes to fill still, just one more year of suckage.

I hear 2026 will be a great draft year and in one year we ll learn 2027 will be the draft of the next McDavid, let s tanks 5 more years and wait for the players drafted in those years to develop during 5 more years…. BUF blueprint seems to work so well.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
next years top 5 is so deep, I hope we suck hard one more year. We have so many holes to fill still, just one more year of suckage.
Even if we fare better than expected and draft in the 9th to 12th positions, we should be able to secure a prime player among McQueen, Hensler, Schaefer, Desnoyers, Spence or Trethewey who should all be available in that range. When one considers that we have another first round pick, 2 second round picks and 3 third round picks in 2025, coupled with all the existing prospects on the immediate horizon, this team, under the steady hand of Hughes, is in an excellent position to be a powerhouse before the end of this decade.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Of course it is not reported by media, I’m talking about stuff me or people close to me witnessed.
I’m sorry but we don’t allow it here. You either have to be vetted as a valid source or reference a publication.

Feel free to read the rules on this. Thanks.

Because those stories don’t get out by reputable source.
If It’s not reputable then it doesn’t belong here. Otherwise people could make stuff up on anything.

Reactions: dgeezus

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I hear 2026 will be a great draft year and in one year we ll learn 2027 will be the draft of the next McDavid, let s tanks 5 more years and wait for the players drafted in those years to develop during 5 more years…. BUF blueprint seems to work so well.

Yeah well we don't have the option to land every FA out there to fill the holes, they tend to goto Florida or play with.. generational talent. Buffalo can't draft worth a shit, and trade the talent they do acquire, so I'm not sure how your theory relates at all.

Colorado is NOTHING without tanking for key players, and Montreal isn't hitting those kind of drafts with their high picks. Next year's draft will file even more holes, and I don't think we even have this discussion if they did the smart thing and take Michkov/Leonard instead of Reinbacher.

Buffalo? That's shitshow of a franchise is your reason for wanting to rush this rebuild? This team has so many holes yet, the 3rd and 4th lines are pathetic a joke. What's the issue with one more year of a good draft pick? We aren't making the playoffs anyways, may as well draft top 5 one more year.

Reactions: themilosh

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Yeah well we don't have the option to land every FA out there to fill the holes, they tend to goto Florida or play with.. generational talent. Buffalo can't draft worth a shit, and trade the talent they do acquire, so I'm not sure how your theory relates at all.

Colorado is NOTHING without tanking for key players, and Montreal isn't hitting those kind of drafts with their high picks. Next year's draft will file even more holes, and I don't think we even have this discussion if they did the smart thing and take Michkov/Leonard instead of Reinbacher.

Buffalo? That's shitshow of a franchise is your reason for wanting to rush this rebuild? This team has so many holes yet, the 3rd and 4th lines are pathetic a joke. What's the issue with one more year of a good draft pick? We aren't making the playoffs anyways, may as well draft top 5 one more year.
It is not about rushing anything. But if you need everybody in your top 4D and Top6F to be drafted top 5, you need 10years rebuikd every 5years because you won t be able to keep all those guys in a cap system. Not a league worth watching. Suzuki is already in his D+8 next year, CC Dach Newhook D+6… Time to contend.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Im at ease with whatever happens this year, quai sera..... i dont want to suck though... finishing bottom 5 again with a healthy Dach would be a disaster.. each year we should be improving 10% from here on in.
Another injury? Fine, might aswell tank, bc we arent getting a legit top C via trade.

Reactions: Habs and dralaf

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Im at ease with whatever happens this year, quai sera..... i dont want to suck though... finishing bottom 5 again with a healthy Dach would be a disaster.. each year we should be improving 10% from here on in.
Another injury? Fine, might aswell tank, bc we arent getting a legit top C via trade.
Kirby Dach is the key to a good season. With him we're so much better. Without him, we'll drop like a stone.

As I've said a few times, he's a great talent and if things went differently health wise he may have even been able to become a first line caliber player. As it is, he looks like he'll be a strong second liner. But health is everything with him. He MUST have a mostly healthy season this year. If he doesn't, then we're really going to have to look at finding someone who can step in on that role.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
how many legit 30g guy are there in the NHL? there probably isn’t 40 guys that are on 30 goal pace in any given year being able to acquire one of them (26yo entering is prime) for penny on the dollar should be something that is explored especially since we are one of about 8 team that have the cap space to take is full cap hit, I haven’t seen many try to sell the farm to acquire Laine like some were to get PLD… If mtl is able to get Laine for less than what they traded for Newhook, we still have to do our due diligence but it should be a easy yes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

That deep or week draft year narrative is guess work. The actual season before the draft is a major factor so I always avoid that "deep draft" narrative in advance.

Kirby Dach is the key to a good season. With him we're so much better. Without him, we'll drop like a stone.

As I've said a few times, he's a great talent and if things went differently health wise he may have even been able to become a first line caliber player. As it is, he looks like he'll be a strong second liner. But health is everything with him. He MUST have a mostly healthy season this year. If he doesn't, then we're really going to have to look at finding someone who can step in on that role.

Agreed. Big season for Dach. Personally, I think he will be fine. I don't think this is a ability issue, it's a health issue.

If he continues to have health issues, it doesn't really hurt this season to come because it's another transition year (Newhook can take his spot) but it does change our future vision.

I have heard Demidov likes to play center because he is more engaged. Something to keep an eye on moving forward.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Demidov going to play center for us in a few years :naughty:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I agree. But if Dach has another season riddled with injuries, I think we have to start looking for other options that can be a long term solution for a 2c/top 6 winger as I’ll start losing faith he can stay healthy enough to make the impact we need.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
how many legit 30g guy are there in the NHL? there probably isn’t 40 guys that are on 30 goal pace in any given year being able to acquire one of them (26yo entering is prime) for penny on the dollar should be something that is explored especially since we are one of about 8 team that have the cap space to take is full cap hit, I haven’t seen many try to sell the farm to acquire Laine like some were to get PLD… If mtl is able to get Laine for less than what they traded for Newhook, we still have to do our due diligence but it should be a easy yes.
You hit the nail on the head: we're one of c. 8 teams who have the cap space for Laine in full. And if capfriendly wasn't down, I bet we'd be one of a fewer number of teams who can handle Laine's full caphit even in the 25-26 season.

If for example, PIT had the cap space they would strongly consider it but they don't and we do.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree. But if Dach has another season riddled with injuries, I think we have to start looking for other options that can be a long term solution for a 2c/top 6 winger as I’ll start losing faith he can stay healthy enough to make the impact we need.
That’s exactly what I said. You and I are on the same page. He must have a healthy year.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Still no Zegras, Necas, Laine, McGroarty trades.

Very curious to know how deep Hughes is in talks with any of those 4 guys. You know he is communicating and keeping the channels open. Just don't know how deep he is willing to go to acquire and what other teams are offering.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Probably the highest offer the Habs will make.... Not sure If Hughes goes this high.
* Flames/Panthers 1st
* One of Kapanen or Barron
* Dvorak if no retention on Laine.

Another angle the Habs can take is we retain 50% on Anderson and take 100% of Laine's contract. We have the cap room to do that in the next 2-3 years. Still offer the package above but the Dvorak is swapped with Anderson at 50%.

Does Laine get moved for futures with no contract coming back? Possible. But I am pretty sure Waddell is open to retaining to get the best return.

To those nit pickers who play the got cha game... The narrative is high point. Of course you start lower but on HF boards, High and Low points are tricky with the nit pickers out there.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
What ?

Kapanen is probably a futur 4th liner nothing special

Bogdan, the chance are we never see him in the NHL

Struble is maybe not a top 3 but he’s a 4-5-6 that can play physical with a good defensive game and can move the puck. He already prove he’s an NHLer what the 2 other have not
I think all those players are/will be replaceable anyways. Some of them, like others might surprise and play a bigger role but none of them are seen as future building blocks.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What ?

Kapanen is probably a futur 4th liner nothing special

Bogdan, the chance are we never see him in the NHL

Struble is maybe not a top 3 but he’s a 4-5-6 that can play physical with a good defensive game and can move the puck. He already prove he’s an NHLer what the 2 other have not

I agree with the low end of Bogdan and Struble but Kapanen has a bit more potential than the 4th line narrative. Too early to know but he's trending very well against men in the SHL. I would not brush that under the rug because that is a tight checking league and great for development in terms of playing a 200' game in the NHL which is so important. Also showed very good potential at the WC's.

Reactions: Tyson

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I agree with the low end of Bogdan and Struble but Kapanen has a bit more potential than the 4th line narrative. Too early to know but he's trending very well against men in the SHL. I would not brush that under the rug because that is a tight checking league and great for development in terms of playing a 200' game in the NHL which is so important. Also showed very good potential at the WC's.
I have him and Beck nose to nose as to what they could become, which is 3rd line center. And they could very be ready at the same which is next season. It's good to have them in the fold, ready to step in. And with Demidov as a possible center also, i think we are going to be more than ok at center even if Dach keeps getting those injury problems.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
some say no to Laine some say yes.
and Laine may be washed up at 26

bottom line KH is at the cottage with a gin/tonic and expects this to the line up in Oct
I would still go for him if the price is not prohibitive. It's a good gamble and we could end up with another 30 goals scorer on our top 6.

Also the 2 years remaining on his contract is kind of a perfect situation for us. It give us the time to assess the player to decide if we want to extend him in two years or not.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
if we get two more season ending injuries I'm done. Something is wrong on the team medical side that has never been fixed. We need to finish with the core healthy

It is not about rushing anything. But if you need everybody in your top 4D and Top6F to be drafted top 5, you need 10years rebuikd every 5years because you won t be able to keep all those guys in a cap system. Not a league worth watching. Suzuki is already in his D+8 next year, CC Dach Newhook D+6… Time to contend.

we aren't contending with these bottom 3-4 lines, nor the suspect blueline and goaltending, not for years 'if' the prospects pan out. We have some pieces to build around on the blueline, most certainly, and goaltending I'm guessing we wait for Fowler.

Seriously our 3&4th lines are going to hold us back

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have him and Beck nose to nose as to what they could become, which is 3rd line center. And they could very be ready at the same which is next season. It's good to have them in the fold, ready to step in. And with Demidov as a possible center also, i think we are going to be more than ok at center even if Dach keeps getting those injury problems.

I have Beck and Kapanen close as well. I understand your low point on Kapanen. Not all of the ones who look good will turn out like we think.

Demidov at center is Interesting. If that ends up true and he is a #1C, we have good problems to sort out... even if Dach plays center/wing. Players always want to play with talent.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
You hit the nail on the head: we're one of c. 8 teams who have the cap space for Laine in full. And if capfriendly wasn't down, I bet we'd be one of a fewer number of teams who can handle Laine's full caphit even in the 25-26 season.

If for example, PIT had the cap space they would strongly consider it but they don't and we do.

Puckpedia has actually always been a better site when trying to project cap space in future years.

There's a fair number of teams that could handle his contract next, even after accounting for likely re-signings.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He was a PPG the last two seasons before last, and would have lead the Habs in goal scoring in one of them. 26 goals in 56 games is no good. 22 in 55, yeah that’s no good.

CC had a shitty year, he only got 28 in 82. Habs got hosed on that contract.

28 good, 26 no good, sure

Hab fans, lol.
PPG when you play 50 games is useless. You remain a 50 point player

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
PPG when you play 50 games is useless. You remain a 50 point player
Hahahahaha!!!!! Sure it does, only to those with limited hockey knowledge.

Cole is useless he only got 65 points, 7-8 mil for 60 point player. Amazing how CC had surgery and came back to play a full season, he must be a unicorn because that JUST can’t be done, lol

28 good, 26 bad, only on habs boards.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad