HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Goes back to what I asked you earlier. What does a top six look like to you? Is a 50 point player a second liner? I'd say it is. Newhook should be good for that.

And YES we're a mediocre team. Exactly as expected. But we won't be medicore down the road.

Those teams were horrible and injury riddled. It wouldn't be hard to improve on them.

Again, shoulder surgery and big contract. Does he make the team better? Sure. He adds depth and might even regain his touch if he's healthy. But that's a longshot considering the surgery.

Evander Kaine would make us better too. Should we go get him? No.
Then who should they get then?
You say no Laine yet MTL have to make prospects and coming draft picks.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
By all accounts he's fully healthy. Last year's injury was a fluke and unrelated to the wrist.

I agree it's make or break for him. If he's out for an extended period of time then we'll have to look at alternatives. But for now we should plan on him playing a full season.

We aren't a playoff team this year anyway. It's the perfect time to give him and developing players ice time to show what they can do. We have a bunch of young players who've been limited by injury. Some may not make it, some may get hurt... let's see what we have. I personally am expecting our offense to be good and our D to be very bad. The goalies probably played above their head last year and a green D is not going to help.

Hugo has said he wants help in the top six. Okay cool. But I don't think Laine is a guy I'd want to go with.
Then who?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Then who should they get then?
I would target young power forwards. None may be available now. You may have to wait until the trade deadline or draft. But don’t make a move for the sake of it.
You say no Laine yet MTL have to make prospects and coming draft picks.
I say ‘no’ to Laine because I m not willing to give up prospects for a guy I see as an overpaid injury risk. If it’s a pure dump? Sure, take a flyer on him. But he’s not someone I think makes us better on the long term. I’d prefer another direction. And I don’t think Columbus just dumps him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would target young power forwards. None may be available now. You may have to wait until the trade deadline or draft. But don’t make a move for the sake of it.

I say ‘no’ to Laine because I m not willing to give up prospects for a guy I see as an overpaid injury risk. If it’s a pure dump? Sure, take a flyer on him. But he’s not someone I think makes us better on the long term. I’d prefer another direction. And I don’t think Columbus just dumps him.

It seems like a long shot that Hughes would want Laine. He's had injury and character problems. And he thinks of himself as one of the best players in the world, and will want to get paid accordingly. So his cap hit will be high. But does that cap hit fit into Hughes salary structure, especially given his 200 foot game? Only way it does if Columbus retains at least 1.2M, Laine gets back to scoring, and Laine accepts an extension commensurate with his 200 foot game.

On the other hand, he's a former no. 2 overall and a world class goal scorer. I would like to see what he can do with Dach, and with MSL's guidance.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I was more thinking it might cost a 1st to land Laine, and not just a 2nd. But Columbus may take back Amderson to balance the salaries.

With what Huges did with the Chiarot and Monhan 1sts (Newhook and Hage), I don't want to lose that 1st. But if Hughes thinks Laine will be a redemption case and even better than Newhook, I'm ok with giving up a late 1st - especially of we get to move Anderson too. If Laone works out, that's enough of a good use of a 1st. If he doesn't moving Anderson's extra year of a contract out isn't that bad. Hughes could do a lot with an extra 5.5M in cap space in a year we should be contending (2026-27).

Bit yeah, you don't give up a 1st to get rid of Anderson. You do it if you believe Laine can turn it back around and be a core piece, a finisher for playmaker Dach to play with.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Demidov - Dach - Laine
Roy - Hage - Newhook
I think that Hugues would rather keep that 1st too.

Whether you ask the other team to retain money or you give back a contract that is considered negative value, you gotta pay the price one way or another.
I don't think that the Habs have to do neither, as they have enough cap space. Makes no sense to pay for cap space you don't need.
At full salary, i don't think Laine is worth much. Friedman and Seravalli both said that he has probably negative value, but if enough teams are interested, maybe that can up his value a bit.
I don't see Hugues giving up that 1st nor a valuable guy like Struble for Laine. He'd be a temporary stop gap while the young Fs are developing.

Even if he ends up working out in Montreal, i don't think the Habs would give him a extension beyond the 2 years given his history. It'd be too much of a risk.
I'm not sure they'd have enough cap space going forward to pay him anyway.

As for Anderson, like i said, the longer they keep him, the easier it'll be to get rid of him, either by trade or buyout. As long as they don't need cap space, they don't have to do anything.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think that Hugues would rather keep that 1st too.

Whether you ask the other team to retain money or you give back a contract that is considered negative value, you gotta pay the price one way or another.
I don't think that the Habs have to do neither, as they have enough cap space. Makes no sense to pay for cap space you don't need.
At full salary, i don't think Laine is worth much. Friedman and Seravalli both said that he has probably negative value, but if enough teams are interested, maybe that can up his value a bit.
I don't see Hugues giving up that 1st nor a valuable guy like Struble for Laine. He'd be a temporary stop gap while the young Fs are developing.

Even if he ends up working out in Montreal, i don't think the Habs would give him a extension beyond the 2 years given his history. It'd be too much of a risk.
I'm not sure they'd have enough cap space going forward to pay him anyway.

As for Anderson, like i said, the longer they keep him, the easier it'll be to get rid of him, either by trade or buyout. As long as they don't need cap space, they don't have to do anything.
The problem with Anderson and Gallagher is they take up a combined 12M on the cap. That's not a problem now that we're not contending. But it may be next summer or the summer after if we want to add a good UFA. Would be nice to get them off the books if the opportunity presents itself.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I can't think of a player who has as much hockey smarts and talent as Roy who fails at becoming a 2nd liner let alone a consistent NHLer. The guy did a great job on the 2nd line at the NHL level before his injury. Obviously, he needs to work on his athleticism, but doubting his IQ and skills is silly. The number of times he looked like he was skating in mud yet always managed to make the right move with positioning and/or play consistently sets him up to contribute offensively.

He's far from a tweener and is closer to becoming a 2nd liner in my books. I expect a Tyler Toffoli-like impact in his prime.
He’s definitely not a fixed NHLer at this point in time and it’s definitely an optimistic prediction to equate him with Toffoli but I would be happy to see it and wouldn’t plan to trade him anywhere. That said, there are plenty of prospects with similar profiles who fall short of that…

I still don’t think we should freeze our roster on account of Roy.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Galaxy braining this man.

You don't get many opportunities to trade for a guy like Laine too often at these prices, especially him being only 26.

This isn't Alexander Semin.

Yes, there are red flags, we all know them.... BUT if there is one organisation as of late that seems to be a good environment for these reclamation projects. It's ours. We have the ideal coach for him, great support staff, and a team that are becoming brothers. I personally am of the mind that the bright lights will bring out his best.

Guy has gone through it in his early career.. trades, injuries, whatever his issues are... and he lost his father not to long ago. That's a pretty quick way to derail ones life.

It's a massive swing, and if we hit... this expedites our timeline in a major way. It elevates us big time.

If it doesn't... he's gone in 2 years and will probably be on LTIR for some of it.

The whole notion that he doesn't bring something we lack is hilarious, he's a PPG player when he's on. Isn't that all we bitch about here? Not enough scoring?

With all due respect to Roy... if he's a player, he'll earn his spot.
I can see Laine and Hage becoming close/supportive of each other...

DrBizz4r3

Oct 5, 2020
I like the rumor that laine can go back to Winnipeg. It can open trade a bit much (McGroarty/ehlers). I like Laine to Habs like i like to gamble on red on the roulettes… but I’m afraid that house will win on this one too… I prefer McGroarty for the future (things that will never happen for 500)

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
The problem with Anderson and Gallagher is they take up a combined 12M on the cap. That's not a problem now that we're not contending. But it may be next summer or the summer after if we want to add a good UFA. Would be nice to get them off the books if the opportunity presents itself.
The issue is not that the Habs are condending or not, it's that they have plenty of unused cap space.
They have potentially 16M in cap space now if they put Carey Price on LTIR. Next summer, they'll have as much as 20M.
That's more than enough to sign a UFA. The problem is not having enough cap space, it's convincing a good UFA to sign...lol

In 2 years, those 2 contracts might become a problem because they'll have a few players to re-sign, including Dach, Hutson, Roy, maybe Matheson, maybe Xhekaj if he signs a 2 year bridge this summer. But by then there will only be 1 year left on those contracts and they'll be much easier to deal with.

Other than a 2nd line forward and maybe some depth guys, do you see other needs that could be filled by a UFA?
I think they should be fine even with those 2 contracts.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I like the rumor that laine can go back to Winnipeg. It can open trade a bit much (McGroarty/ehlers). I like Laine to Habs like i like to gamble on red on the roulettes… but I’m afraid that house will win on this one too… I prefer McGroarty for the future (things that will never happen for 500)
but how is that rumor even logical, when he was allegedly mocked/bullied by the jets leadership that is still intact

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He’s definitely not a fixed NHLer at this point in time and it’s definitely an optimistic prediction to equate him with Toffoli but I would be happy to see it and wouldn’t plan to trade him anywhere. That said, there are plenty of prospects with similar profiles who fall short of that…

I still don’t think we should freeze our roster on account of Roy.
Well he was our best player on the 2nd line in the NHL before his injury and I'm positive he will play in the NHL this upcoming season as he should. I don't see why it's optimistic to equate him to Toffoli. Roy demolished the QMJHL and had a great rookie year in the AHL. Toffoli was 22 when he didn't get sent back down to the AHL, Roy turns 21 in a week. You're definitely underselling him big time when you say if everything goes perfectly he could hit 50 points. High end hockey IQ and skill is pretty much a lock to be a 2nd liner in the NHL, the athleticism will likely be what holds him back from being a high end top line player. Who are these plentiful prospects with IQ and skill like Roy who end up being tweeners?

I don't think we should label him as a tweener either, he's a great player.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I trust HuGo to get a top 6 winger. I’ll leave it to them to decided who it is but I’m good with Laine, Necas, Zegras, McGroaty, player X no one knows is even on the trading block.

They do need to add one, they’ve said as much and I think/hope, they’ll do it before the season starts.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Patrik Laine and his contract will get in the way of getting the next Patrik Laine to pop up in the rumors as being available.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Well he was our best player on the 2nd line in the NHL before his injury and I'm positive he will play in the NHL this upcoming season as he should. I don't see why it's optimistic to equate him to Toffoli. Roy demolished the QMJHL and had a great rookie year in the AHL. Toffoli was 22 when he didn't get sent back down to the AHL, Roy turns 21 in a week. You're definitely underselling him big time when you say if everything goes perfectly he could hit 50 points. High end hockey IQ and skill is pretty much a lock to be a 2nd liner in the NHL, the athleticism will likely be what holds him back from being a high end top line player. Who are these plentiful prospects with IQ and skill like Roy who end up being tweeners?

I don't think we should label him as a tweener either, he's a great player.

Roy has a bad reputation in St Georges de Beauce. It is rumoured he does not have a lifestyle and commitment that is congruent with being a professional athlete.

Hope its just rumour.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Roy has a bad reputation in St Georges de Beauce. It is rumoured he does not have a lifestyle and commitment that is congruent with being a professional athlete.

Hope its just rumour.
Yes there were rumors that he was lazy and only relied on talent, but I can't see why Hughes would even keep him if this wasn't just a maturity thing but rather a serious issue. Pretty sure it came out that his stay in Sherbrooke helped him take things more seriously.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012

Hope its just rumour.
I know people from Ste Marie know who were with in on the 2023 St-Jean-Baptiste. No comments.

But I was not mature either at 19-20, so I can’t expect every kid to be Crosby-like

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Hope its just rumour.
He was drafted late partially because he had work ethic questions but he’s more than answered this.

Since then he’s done nothing but overdeliver.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He was drafted late partially because he had work ethic questions but he’s more than answered this.

Since then he’s done nothing but overdeliver.
This is spot on. When he was drafted he committed to his Development and career. In a redraft he is a 1st rounder

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad