HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
He was drafted late partially because he had work ethic questions but he’s more than answered this.

Since then he’s done nothing but overdeliver.
The issues appear to be more profound than a bad work ethic and relying on talent only.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
He was drafted late partially because he had work ethic questions but he’s more than answered this.

Since then he’s done nothing but overdeliver.
What I heard is not necessarily that he does not put up the work to succeed. It’s more a US
University frat mentality (work hard/party hard). Nothing criminal btw, just not the kind of stuff Habs brass like to hear about (although it is not that uncommon either for young players to have to much beer)

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I would target young power forwards. None may be available now. You may have to wait until the trade deadline or draft. But don’t make a move for the sake of it.

I say ‘no’ to Laine because I m not willing to give up prospects for a guy I see as an overpaid injury risk. If it’s a pure dump? Sure, take a flyer on him. But he’s not someone I think makes us better on the long term. I’d prefer another direction. And I don’t think Columbus just dumps him.
We’re a young and developing team. While no one can question Laine’s offensive talent if he’s heathy, I worry about the off-ice drama and distractions that come with this player. You can see the team-building process that Hughes and MSL are slowly but steadily employing. The ‘culture’ of the team is now, finally pointing in the right direction. I think Hughes will be very wary about tinkering with this increasingly positive trend.

I know I would.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What I heard is not necessarily that he does not put up the work to succeed. It’s more a US
University frat mentality (work hard/party hard). Nothing criminal btw, just not the kind of stuff Habs brass like to hear about (although it is not that uncommon either for young players to have to much beer)
Whatever his issues were, it seems that he’s corrected them. And it’s shown in the results.

Sometimes it’s as simple as giving your head a shake. Uber talented player who got drafted late. I’m sure that helped to wake him up.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Whatever his issues were, it seems that he’s corrected them. And it’s shown in the results.

Sometimes it’s as simple as giving your head a shake. Uber talented player who got drafted late. I’m sure that helped to wake him up.
The stories I heard are from summer 2023, not his draft year. Anyways, I think he is someone this organization has to monitor in order he grows up and in order to make sure it does not get worse like Galcheynuk or Beaulieu once they got to the big city.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Struble is expendable. Konyushov and Kapanen are more valuable than Struble
What ?

Kapanen is probably a futur 4th liner nothing special

Bogdan, the chance are we never see him in the NHL

Struble is maybe not a top 3 but he’s a 4-5-6 that can play physical with a good defensive game and can move the puck. He already prove he’s an NHLer what the 2 other have not

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
What ?

Kapanen is probably a futur 4th liner nothing special

Bogdan, the chance are we never see him in the NHL

Struble is maybe not a top 3 but he’s a 4-5-6 that can play physical with a good defensive game and can move the puck. He already prove he’s an NHLer what the 2 other have not
Struble is a 5 or 6 d that can easily be replaced. Kapanen should be a solid 3rd liner.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The stories I heard are from summer 2023, not his draft year. Anyways, I think he is someone this organization has to monitor in order he grows up and in order to make sure it does not get worse like Galcheynuk or Beaulieu once they got to the big city.
I’ve heard of no such stories.

Let’s move on from this because if it’s not substantiated then it shouldn’t be discussed. I haven’t heard anything negative about him. If you have a link from a reputable source though, please post it.

Reactions: sampollock

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Demidov does not have obvious deficiencies like Hutson. Faster skater, stronger body, better shot. There is a reason Hutson went 62nd and Demidov 5th.

And yet even with Demidov, I would never say TODAY "it's CLEAR (!!) Demidov will be better offensively than Suzuki and should replace him on the PP in his rookie season".

Your argument for not projecting Hutson to the top pp unit is that players bust, so there's no guarantee that Hutson will be good enough to take over the point role from Matheson.

Plenty of high picks have busted in the past. So using YOUR logic, Demidov shouldn't be projected either in a top 6 and pp1 unit role.

Nobody expects Suzuki to be taken off the pp1 unit. He's the Habs best pp player. Dach is likely the one to be taken out, and most people are pretty certain Demidov will become better than Dach and replace him on pp1.

Kindly shove your character assassination where the sun don't shine. You can disagree with me, no problem, but NEVER call me dishonest. Get it?

I picked 2020-21 since that was Caufield's rookie season. Can't compare any previous seasons.

It makes no sense to start counting goals for Laine from the 2020-21 season. Caufield barely played that season, and Laine having been in the league and scoring goals for longer is not something you can take away just because you want to. If Ovechkin had a lesser goals/game pace since 20-21 than Caufield, he would still be the more proven goalscorer.

Even if we look at their goals/game since the 20-21 season, it's almost the same. If it's about the same, then the one who's done it longer and who scored a ton of goals (not just pace) is the more proven one.

I can and do heavily discount his long-faded hungry ELC years, and give more weight to the last 4 and 1/2 highly paid seasons. Halfway through his very first year with a big contract, he started descending the pecking order in Winnipeg.

Do you realize it's much harder for a player to score goals in the NHL as a teenager than it is when they are in their 20s?

Caufield scored at a 0.57 goals/game the season before signing his big contract, and then scored at a 0.34 goals/game the first year of his big contract. So I guess we shouldn't count what he did before last season.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I would target young power forwards. None may be available now. You may have to wait until the trade deadline or draft. But don’t make a move for the sake of it.

I say ‘no’ to Laine because I m not willing to give up prospects for a guy I see as an overpaid injury risk. If it’s a pure dump? Sure, take a flyer on him. But he’s not someone I think makes us better on the long term. I’d prefer another direction. And I don’t think Columbus just dumps him.
He's not someone who makes us better long-term; he's someone who makes us better in the two years that he's here while we wait on Demidov and our other D prospects to marinate a little bit more. He gives Roy some minutes playing where he probably should be, which is third line, and not overextending. He gives us another option on PP1 if guys are hurt or the primary option on PP2.

Keeping Matheson around for the rest of his deal doesn't make us better in the long term either but many here are reluctant to trade him.

You prefer another direction and that's fine, not arguing with that, just want to say that I'm not of the mindset that Laine makes us better long-term and I still want to do the deal.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I would be surprise if he becomes more then a 4th liner and Struble is proven that he’s at least a 5-6. A young physical #5-6 dmen is more valuable then a futur maybe bottom 6 player
Kapanen scored 6 goals at the World Championship. He is a possibility to play in front of the net on the PP. He is excellent at deflecting shots. Habs have lots of d. They will likely have to move Struble anyway.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Kapanen scored 6 goals at the World Championship
Yes against team British who I didn’t even know they knew how to play hockey and Norway who are not really good either. Those games means nothing.
Habs have lots of d. They will likely have to move Struble anyway.
Yes I agree with that but any GM will take the player that has already prove he can play in the NHL before the one who we don’t know

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Yes against team British who I didn’t even know they knew how to play hockey and Norway who are not really good either. Those games means nothing.

Yes I agree with that but any GM will take the player that has already prove he can play in the NHL before the one who we don’t know
It is irrelevant who he was playing against. England has had hockey leagues for years. The goals he scored would have scored on most teams.

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I’ve heard of no such stories.

Let’s move on from this because if it’s not substantiated then it shouldn’t be discussed. I haven’t heard anything negative about him. If you have a link from a reputable source though, please post it.
Of course it is not reported by media, I’m talking about stuff me or people close to me witnessed.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Sure, Hahahaha!!!!

Irrelevant, thanks for the laugh, almost spit my coffee across the room.
Try watching some games. He scored almost all of those goals deflecting in point shots. A good deflection scores on top goaltenders. Now he didn't get any pts at the end of he WC so he may not be quite ready yet but he was only 20 then. But he didn't deke through a pee wee team or score from centre ice. He had 34 pts in Liiga and was 13-7-7-14 in the playoffs. Struble would be a useful 5-6 d but Kapanen has more potential.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Try watching some games. He scored almost all of those goals deflecting in point shots. A good deflection scores on top goaltenders. Now he didn't get any pts at the end of he WC so he may not be quite ready yet but he was only 20 then. But he didn't deke through a pee wee team or score from centre ice. He had 34 pts in Liiga and was 13-7-7-14 in the playoffs. Struble would be a useful 5-6 d but Kapanen has more potential.

He got a hat trick against team Britain, who was nothing more than a punching bag. Like the other poster stated, absolutely meaningless.

Once again, thanks for the laugh.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Okay and the last time he was good was when he was 21
He was a PPG the last two seasons before last, and would have lead the Habs in goal scoring in one of them. 26 goals in 56 games is no good. 22 in 55, yeah that’s no good.

CC had a shitty year, he only got 28 in 82. Habs got hosed on that contract.

28 good, 26 no good, sure

Hab fans, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnapVirus

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
next years top 5 is so deep, I hope we suck hard one more year. We have so many holes to fill still, just one more year of suckage.

Reactions: themilosh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad