The Sun: Atlantic Division Preview

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I had already forgotten Stamkos left TB.

Looks like it will be the same 4 battling it out like every year.
I think one of Tampa or Boston slips enough to let Buffalo to at least challenge for the last playoff spot in the Atlantic. With Swayman holding out, Lindholm bumping down all the centers without be a number 1C or even a top tier 2C and I am not sure how much Zardov helps as a top 4 dman I can see a big drop coming for Boston.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
When was the last time they won the division?

I’m pretty sure they haven’t won the division in the Matthews era which is sort of surprising.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
If Boston gets Swayman signed I don't think anybody overtakes them. With the additions of Lindholm and Zadarov I believe they return to the top of the Atlantic. I predict the Leafs finish third behind the Bruins and Panthers, though I hope the Cats suffer from a Stanley Cup hangover. I think the Lightening will demonstrate a slight decline this season.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think if Berube can get them to focus a little better, throw away less winnable games, they could win the division.

Very easily. What all the contending teams seem to have in common is the ability to seemingly win every game. I think we need to get that level of dominating other teams night in and out and if we find it we can easily make the final 4

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Tampa basically looks like Stamkos and Sergachev out for McDonagh and Guentzel in....how much does it change?

I think BOS wins the division, they added Lindholm and Zadorov.

Toronto comes in 2nd

Buffalo takes 3rd

I think Florida might have lost a few too many pieces but could be wrong

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Leafs will play well and then choke when it counts.

I’m hoping Marner and Tavares play well on PP2.

Reactions: rumman

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Tampa basically looks like Stamkos and Sergachev out for McDonagh and Guentzel in....how much does it change?

Toronto comes in 2nd

Buffalo takes 3rd

I think we'll take 3rd, but hopefully, Berube can tell them to start on time or something and we'll win Atlantic for the first time?

Florida might still be up there. I can see them battling Bruins who got slightly better for the first place.

Bruins are still missing 1C. It will be interesting to see if they get one or try again next year.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
The previous coach let them get away with a few things and these guys took advantage of that. I don't think it was necessarily intentional but I think that may have been the reality, especially based off some of the comments. I think this is where Berube steps in and tightens up the ship a bit. With a little luck (Read: no significant injuries), I think this team has a good shot at winning the division if they come ready to play every night.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Its like a broken record, but this MIGHT be the year Ottawa or Buffalo takes a leap forward. Ottawa again had a lot of injuries, and if they can be fairly healthy, with better goaltending, I can't see them not being better. As for Buffalo, they missed the playoffs by 1 point 2 years ago, and last year they were a positive in goal differential (where 90-95% of teams that are positive make the playoffs) all the while their best player (Thompson) played most of the season hurt AND they didn't find their starting goaltender until the calendar turned to 2024 (after that point for more than the 2nd half of the season they allowed the 3rd least number of goals in the league).

At some point, Tampa and/or Boston are going to fall from the top, but also at some point Ottawa and/or Buffalo are going to surprise and actually be good, they both have too much young talent.

Reactions: Old Duffer

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Florida lost alot of puck moving and offensive ability with Montour and OEL leaving.
Their first pairing is strong with Forsling/Ekblad but the other two pairings are big question marks.
They have made the finals two years in a row and that takes alot out of you, so you could easily see a tired looking team in the regular season.

Reactions: Menzinger

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Florida lost alot of puck moving and offensive ability with Montour and OEL leaving.
Their first pairing is strong with Forsling/Ekblad but the other two pairings are big question marks.
They have made the finals two years in a row and that takes alot out of you, so you could easily see a tired looking team in the regular season.
I think Florida will drop a fair bit. Tampa will also drop again, but their top line will likely continue to carry them to a decent regular season. Boston should be steady, but not really improved over last season. None of Detroit, Buffalo or Ottawa are close enough yet. I think the division finishes Toronto/Boston/Tampa/Florida.

Reactions: bax and weems

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Toronto comes in 2nd

Buffalo takes 3rd

Yeah, I don't really see Tampa as having improved much if at all.

Boston I think is overrated. Their year last year was pretty inconsistent. They did not play nearly as well as their record would make you think. Lindholm is a good add, though somewhat offset by losing Debrusk up front. They definitely got softer at forward. There are reports Marchand is going to miss potentially months to start the season. Swayman isn't signed. Zadorov is a luxury add which won't move the needle for them at all imo. They needed forwards, not an overpaid #4.

I also think Florida will take a step back.

Buffalo though, they stink. I'm willing to bet they finish 7th or 8th in the division, behind the usual 4 and both Ottawa and Detroit. Maybe even Montreal.

I think Florida will drop a fair bit. Tampa will also drop again, but their top line will likely continue to carry them to a decent regular season. Boston should be steady, but not really improved over last season. None of Detroit, Buffalo or Ottawa are close enough yet. I think the division finishes Toronto/Boston/Tampa/Florida.

I think one of Detroit or Ottawa takes the 2nd wildcard and gets in.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
When was the last time they won the division? I’m pretty sure they haven’t won the division in the Matthews era which is sort of surprising.
We won our division in 2021, and had some of the best President's Trophy winners through the cap era in our division in 2019, 2020, 2022, and 2023.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
We won our division in 2021, and had some of the best President's Trophy winners through the cap era in our division in 2019, 2020, 2022, and 2023.
I was referring to the Atlantic division but winning the Canadian division was impressive. Winning the Atlantic would be even more impressive.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Every year for tha past 10 years people write off the Bruins, and every year they screw with us.
A well coached team with quality goaltending will do that. If Woll stays healthy and plays to his ability, and Berube gets them bought in and playing the right way, we have a great chance to win the division .

Reactions: Dayjobdave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad