Harris
Struble
-------
Reinbacher
Mailloux
Hutson
Engstrom
Bogdan

The period between the 2025 trade deadline and the 2025 draft is hopefully when HuGo cab make bank by trading some of the defensemen for either futures or in packages for a better forward.

That's going to take some creative thinking, but Hughes is good at that.
I expect Savard, Barron & Harris to not be on 25-26 season opening game roster, with Matheson gone by 26-27 opening game, the rest will sort itself out organically

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
For a supposedly “flat and low compete” guy scoring just under PPG in the playoffs is pretty good imo!

Marner seems to disappear as the playoff series goes into the later games. Marner’s career stats in playoff games 5, 6, & 7 is: 21 games played, 1 goal and 9 total points.

As far as trading for him, I wouldn’t want Montreal to give up significant assets and have to give him the big contract extension as well.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Marner is a Winger... The comparison is just a fallacy. Marner is the guy who's going to remain a loser for his entire career with the Leafs, regardless of the amount of points he racks up.
So was Stevie Y …until he wasn’t

Reactions: ReHabs

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
So was Stevie Y …until he wasn’t
Stevie Y never played garbage hockey in the playoffs like Marner did as far as I can remember. I mean some guys have it to play in the most competitive setting there is, Marner doesn't have that. You want a better comparison: RNH.

Marner seems to disappear as the playoff series goes into the later games. Marner’s career stats in playoff games 5, 6, & 7 is: 21 games played, 1 goal and 9 total points.

As far as trading for him, I wouldn’t want Montreal to give up significant assets and have to give him the big contract extension as well.
I agree and besides we have his Russian copy-cat in Demibust.. so.. :sarcasm:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Stevie Y never played garbage hockey in the playoffs like Marner did as far as I can remember. I mean some guys have it to play in the most competitive setting there is, Marner doesn't have that. You want a better comparison: RNH.
That’s why Scotty told him he had one final opportunity to shape up, sacrifice pts, and focus on 200-ft playoff hockey, when he stepped in to force Devellano blocking deal to Sens for 1OA (Yashin) in 1992?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
For a supposedly “flat and low compete” guy scoring just under PPG in the playoffs is pretty good imo!
He always seems to leave Leafs fans wanting more but as far as numbers go he isn't bad but then again neither was Daniel Briere. :sarcasm:
Marner is a good hockey player much in the same way Nugent Hopkins is a good hockey player.
Both are smart play makers both kill penalties very well and both have a tendency to disappear at crucial moments.
Wear and tear or Injury?
I don't know but it's been a trend.

Reactions: ReHabs and vokiel

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
That’s why Scotty told him he had one final opportunity to shape up, sacrifice pts, and focus on 200-ft playoff hockey, when he stepped in to force Devellano blocking deal to Sens for 1OA (Yashin) in 1992?
It's not really about the style he plays, it's he disappears or makes boneheaded plays in the worst possible moments. The compete level increasing seems to be exceptionally taxing on some players. That's what Tort was referring to at the end of the season when the Flyers missed the playoffs.

Some players don't seem to have it in them to push themselves through tough situations. And at 11 mill a year, that's a no thank you, regardless of points and skill level.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He always seems to leave Leafs fans wanting more but as far as numbers go he isn't bad but then again neither was Daniel Briere. :sarcasm:
Marner is a good hockey player much in the same way Nugent Hopkins is a good hockey player.
Both are smart play makers both kill penalties very well and both have a tendency to disappear at crucial moments.
Wear and tear or Injury?
It’s also a product of poor roster construction, Kucherov’s playoff game took off once Kilorn was there to do the dirty work

Only when Marner has such a complementary player on his line and not perform can one make a final call IMO

Fans roll their eyes when GMs mention character, chemistry etc but hockey is the ultimate team game requiring a myriad of puzzle pieces to achieve playoff success

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Wear and tear or Injury?
Finally!

A reasonable and much more FAIR take on Marner than what I’ve read so far.

It’s easy for couch potatoes to dismiss pro players as gutless and other personal smears (some commentators here almost exclusively deal in personal attacks on players, because they don’t understand the actual sport of hockey) but the fact is Marner is a capable and effective hockey player who can basically do everything. The disappointment people feel in him is due to his inability to show what he can do when the games matter most. That’s a totally different problem than “he’s gutless, entitled, low-effort, lazy, a bad guy, etc.”

I wouldn’t trade core players to get him but I sure as hell would inquire after him — as would 30 other teams in the NHL. Marner is a terrific hockey player who needs a change of scenery.

(Montreal can actually be a very cool place for him to roar awake — and imagine the bragging rights and banter it would afford us? I’d love it!)

Reactions: Miller Time

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I expect Savard, Barron & Harris to not be on 25-26 season opening game roster, with Matheson gone by 26-27 opening game, the rest will sort itself out organically
Something like that, but Hughes won't necessarily keep the best players, as the better ones might have more trade values.

You can be a contender with Xhekaj-Barron as your third pair.

Reactions: Miller Time

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I know it shouldn't matter, but Marner has irritating fashion sense. He looks ridiculous.

Also he's less good than his salary.

Maybe Struble for Marner at 50% retention.

Mitch-Marner-Toronto-Maple-Leafs-683x1024.jpeg
IDK why, but I pictured this, when I saw the Marner picture.

1721500529592.png

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Something like that, but Hughes won't necessarily keep the best players, as the better ones might have more trade values.

You can be a contender with Xhekaj-Barron as your third pair.
Yes, the lightning won with a worse 3rd pair than this, The Preds were competitive with Weber on the third pair (Yannic).

They're more than adequate, especially with the defense the Habs should have.

Reactions: DAChampion

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Guhle
Matheson
Savard
Xhekaj
Barron
Harris
Struble
-------
Reinbacher
Mailloux
Hutson
Engstrom
Bogdan

The period between the 2025 trade deadline and the 2025 draft is hopefully when HuGo cab make bank by trading some of the defensemen for either futures or in packages for a better forward.

That's going to take some creative thinking, but Hughes is good at that.
Hard to get value for guys who didn’t get ice time for lack of opportunity though.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Barron - as we know him - cannot play NHL level defence. He’s also soft as hell.
Barron is 22, a lot of players particularly defensive players improve from age 22 onwards.
Hard to get value for guys who didn’t get ice time for lack of opportunity though.
I think that dominating the AHL is something that GMs around the league can recognize given enough context.

B1g B1rd

Habs Best Def of all times
May 21, 2018
I think they will be patient with Barron. Being a RD makes him more valuable and at 22, theres still room for growth. Guess Harris would be the 1st one traded. Or maybe Xhekaj.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think they will be patient with Barron. Being a RD makes him more valuable and at 22, theres still room for growth. Guess Harris would be the 1st one traded. Or maybe Xhekaj.

Or just trade Barron after he has a great year :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad