Olympics 2026 qualification

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
In Halmo's case, if the interest was mutual, it would have happened already as his linemate Dustin Gazley played in the last WC.

Iceberg9

Jul 13, 2024
I know that Denmark were the hosts and thus, nominal favourites, but damn, that was the only group where the second team actually looked better both on paper and previous game results. And yet, Norway failed miserably. Too bad, since in 2 years the gap between the teams would be even bigger. Yet, Danes stepped up when it matters.

France may hope for a rematch against Latvia in the OG.

Its a shame we will not see Norway there. I would honestly swap them with Latvia. Norway has potentionally some really good players to watch

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Its a shame we will not see Norway there. I would honestly swap them with Latvia. Norway has potentionally some really good players to watch

I might be biased here, but what are the Norwegian players you're talking about, perhaps Zuccarello aside? I would 100% rather see Šilovs trying to pull Gudļevskis-esque heroics vs USA instead. Then again, admiteddly, I am not very informed re: Norwegian prospects.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Latvia is a hockey crazy nation with an energetic crowd of supporters and has had many good players in the NHL in comparison to Norway and their fans will come in droves to see them in Italy.

If anything I would have taken Norway over France for that wild card spot as they have some youth coming up.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
In Halmo's case, if the interest was mutual, it would have happened already as his linemate Dustin Gazley played in the last WC.
Though it's not that rare to have guys that want to go to the Olympics but not to the World Championships (representing a team they don't necessarily identify with).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Though it's not that rare to have guys that want to go to the Olympics but not to the World Championships (representing a team they don't necessarily identify with).
I assume the Olympics carrot was dangled in front of him and Gazley, that's probably why the latter joined long after being initially eligible. I don't think these are the kind of players you beg to join repeatedly.

You do understand that Latvia has more NHLers, a stronger hockey nation, all that?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
IIHF has released the groups for both scenarios (with and without Russia participation).

With Russia:

Group A Group BGroup C
CanadaFinlandRussia
SwedenGermanyUnited States
Switzerland CzechiaSlovakia
Italy Denmark Latvia

Without Russia:

Group AGroup BGroup C
CanadaFinlandUnited States
SwitzerlandSwedenGermany
CzechiaSlovakiaLatvia
France*ItalyDenmark

Fil

Nov 1, 2023
IIHF has released the groups for both scenarios (with and without Russia participation).

With Russia:

Group AGroup BGroup C
CanadaFinlandRussia
SwedenGermanyUnited States
SwitzerlandCzechiaSlovakia
ItalyDenmarkLatvia

Without Russia:

Group AGroup BGroup C
CanadaFinlandUnited States
SwitzerlandSwedenGermany
CzechiaSlovakiaLatvia
France*ItalyDenmark
Group C is so unbalanced

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Doesn't really matter when there are 8 teams in the quarterfinals. Not like Denmark or Latvia have an unfair advantage playing each other instead of Italy or France.
Well, yes and no. The qualification round mitigates most of the seeding issues, but one of Germany/Latvia/Denmark is going to have an advantage and a realistic chance of actually getting either a bye into the QFs or a very easy opponent.

As for the US, they have an increased likelihood of becoming the top seed, which pretty much paves their way into the semis.

Since Germany is in the 2nd 'pot' and Czechia in the 3rd, there's really no way of avoiding this, though. The Germany group got lucky.

Reactions: JetLeaf

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
All 8 "good" teams still have an excellent chance to get into QFs. Everything else is just rearranging the deck chairs on a ship. The only way it doesn't happen is if they perform terribly in which case getting to QFs probably wouldn't have done them much good anyway.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad