HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Players take pay cuts when the market determines that they aren't worth their contact, as it has done with Laine.
Right.

But the question was:
If Laine plays well, why trade him? Assuming that “well” means a return to 40g form

Those players are hard to find and he is 26 years old
And to that I say, it depends on what he asks for.

Is he going to want a huge raise? Is he good staying where he is? I mean... impossible to know right now.

I'd just say that we see where things go. If he works out, great. I'm not opposed to re-signing him. But it all depends on what he wants. If he wants too much, trade him. Worst case scenario, he doesn't pan out and we just let him walk.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Right.

But the question was:

And to that I say, it depends on what he asks for.

Is he going to want a huge raise? Is he good staying where he is? I mean... impossible to know right now.

I'd just say that we see where things go. If he works out, great. I'm not opposed to re-signing him. But it all depends on what he wants. If he wants too much, trade him. Worst case scenario, he doesn't pan out and we just let him walk.

And I agree with that, but players in Laine's position (3rd team by 26), tend to care a little more about fit and locker room than just money, since they know what its like when the fit/environment sucks.

Laine will need to get back to being closer to what he was/can be, but if the fit and buy-in is good, its not hard to imagine the team and player finding a number that works for both sides.

Micheal Hage

or

McGroarty (for #21 OA in 2024 + 3rd round pick)

What is better?

I think its pretty clear that right now, management would not trade Hage for McGroarty.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
But he's making 8.7 million now. Players generally don't want to take paycuts, they want raises.

I think he’s at a stage where he will choose to be part of a winning group rather then chase an extra 2-3M $ on a non-playoff team. If he plays well and Habs start winning I’m not worried

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
And I agree with that, but players in Laine's position (3rd team by 26), tend to care a little more about fit and locker room than just money, since they know what its like when the fit/environment sucks.

Laine will need to get back to being closer to what he was/can be, but if the fit and buy-in is good, its not hard to imagine the team and player finding a number that works for both sides.

I think its pretty clear that right now, management would not trade Hage for McGroarty.
Not asking management, asking people here.

I quite like McGroarty, he'd fit nicely in the top 6 as soon as this season.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
But he's making 8.7 million now. Players generally don't want to take paycuts, they want raises.
If you fall off, you don't get raises. It's why Drouin had to sign for 850,000 rather than his 5.5 million he was making before.

If Laine plays good enough to make equal or more than the 8.7 he's making, that's REALLY good for us.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Not asking management, asking people here.

I quite like McGroarty, he'd fit nicely in the top 6 as soon as this season.

I personally wouldn't, but I don't know enough about the player other than limited viewings and player profile.

Montreal has insanely young top-6 (Laine at 26 will likely be the oldest of the group) and the idea of adding a rookie there feels like a big mistake, especially with the lack of proven two-way ability outside of Suzuki.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think he’s at a stage where he will choose to be part of a winning group rather then chase an extra 2-3M $ on a non-playoff team. If he plays well and Habs start winning I’m not worried
At some point money is no longer then end all and be all for a player like Laine. If he’s happy and successful here, I can easily see him taking a “home team discount” to stay in a good situation rather than taking a a bit more to go to an unknown situation and risk falling back into a bad spot.

How much is your happiness really worth at point when you already have more money then multiple generations could spend?

Reactions: Egresch and jrom

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I don’t think we know this. Some players are all about maxing out. Look what happened in TO. Look at Radulov. You never know what a player is going to do. We might just be a means to an end for him. As fans we may have hopes but right now it’s wishful thinking.

Bottom line is that it’s way too early to have this discussion anyway. Let’s see how he does. This whole conversation may be moot.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I personally wouldn't, but I don't know enough about the player other than limited viewings and player profile.

Montreal has insanely young top-6 (Laine at 26 will likely be the oldest of the group) and the idea of adding a rookie there feels like a big mistake, especially with the lack of proven two-way ability outside of Suzuki.
Not to mention we already have Roy trying to break in.

Reactions: Captain Mountain

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I don’t think we know this. Some players are all about maxing out. Look what happened in TO. Look at Radulov. You never know what a player is going to do. We might just be a means to an end for him. As fans we may have hopes but right now it’s wishful thinking.

Bottom line is that it’s way too early to have this discussion anyway. Let’s see how he does. This whole conversation may be moot.

Well, Domi took a discount to stay in Toronto. The core Toronto guys weren't overpaid and bouncing around the league. Radulov wasn't on an overpaid contract until Dallas signed him.

The flip example is that a guy like Reinhart just signed a new contract at a lower AAV than Laine's. He took a discount to stay in Florida, but even if he signed for a market rate (high 9 mil), you're talking about a 50+ goals, 90+ points and an elite two-way impact winger. Or use the Toronto guys as an example player friendly example, 90+ points and decent to strong two-way play.

I'm not even sure its wishful thinking for a new contract since the implied scenario (that Laine will play at a level that ANY team would give him a raise) requires even greater wishful thinking.

We'll see what happens, but the only way I see Laine earning a raise from any team in the NHL would necessitate him being the best player on the Habs for the next two seasons. At which point I'd just give him the raise. But I don't think either of those is likely.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Radulov was being treated badly by Bergevin, that's why he left. He was clearly interested in signing here for a fair deal.

Reactions: the

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Wouldn't have minded the Habs going for Askarov, but I wouldn't want to pay much and that's mainly because I don't like full right goalies.

Reactions: Andy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad