HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Says my eyes and every single person that’s ranked goalie prospects.
Ok, I’ll buy that, but is he THAT much better?

There is no guarantee that he will be so much better at the NHL LEVEL then let’s say Fowler, he may be projecting but it’s probably not by a lot.

I had seen a goalie prospect ranking and Askarov was at 2
While Fowler was at 3.

If we had no goalies in the top 10 I’d say fill your boots, overpay for the prospect that has potential but the fact they are so close I’d say keep your picks and prospects and use them for other needs and shortcomings.

Laine has scored 40 goals once in his career... 7 years ago. Expecting back to back seasons of 40 with the obstacles he has to overcome is quite the stretch.
Not expecting that, I’m dealing with hypotheticals.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Is that pick from SJ lotto protected for 1st overall?
If the San Jose pick is top 10 they will have the choice to send the Vegas Pick.

That's the only protection.

For us its the equivalent of sending the Calgary 1st Unprotected, and one of Beck/Mesar something like that plus Dobes.

Personally? I am glad we didn't pull the trigger.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
That's a solid trade for both teams, Sharks paid quite a price but that'll be huge for their rebuild.

Trotz likes character guys so odds are he likely wanted Beck as part of the deal along with a first so I'm not surprised Hughes didn't pull the trigger.

Reactions: jaffy27

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Laine has scored 40 goals once in his career... 7 years ago. Expecting back to back seasons of 40 with the obstacles he has to overcome is quite the stretch.
For me it’s more a question of staying healthy for an entire season. If he does, 40 is definitely possible. He’s averaging 35 goals a game throughout his career and that’s on some pretty terrible teams.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If the San Jose pick is top 10 they will have the choice to send the Vegas Pick.

That's the only protection.

For us its the equivalent of sending the Calgary 1st Unprotected, and one of Beck/Mesar something like that plus Dobes.

Personally? I am glad we didn't pull the trigger.
We have Fowler. I don’t think it makes sense to make a deal when we’ve got a good group coming up.

All due respect to Askarov’s talent.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I wouldn’t make that trade but it makes sense for the Sharks. They basically used the assets they got from the Hertl trade. They are building something nice over there, two potential 1Cs in Celebrini and Smith, a potential 1D in Dickinson, and a potential 1G in Askarov.
It's not hard when you drafting high every round.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
In the end, Sharks turned Hertl into Askarov.

Sharks traded Hertl to Vegas for Edstrom and a 2025 1st.

5 months later, they flip Edstrom and a 2025 1st for Askarov.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
In the end, Sharks turned Hertl into Askarov.

Sharks traded Hertl to Vegas for Edstrom and a 2025 1st.

5 months later, they trade Edstrom and a 2025 1st for Askarov.

We'll see if Askarov can translate on the hype/upside (more Vasilevsky than Hart), but that's some tidy bit of work considering Hertl was an injury and aging risk.

Nashville also did a pretty good job making the most out of a bad situation.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think he’s at a stage where he will choose to be part of a winning group rather then chase an extra 2-3M $ on a non-playoff team. If he plays well and Habs start winning I’m not worried
I'm sorry but no player will let 2-3m on the table for 5-6 year contract (15m on the table). He's becoming UFA at 29, that players best opportunity to cash out, they will do it. And it's not like if we where a team like Dallas (real contender).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad