HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
They will be cap compliant guys, they were last year, and will again this year.
A guy or two to the AHL RHP on LTIR and they are there, then Price moves over and off we go.....
Trust in HuGo.....
Oh no doubt about it, it’s a piece of cake.

We are just figuring out if and how far can we go to accrue cap, more in a theoritical sense, because it won’t matter for us, our cap situation is great to be frank.

Reactions: BLONG7

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Two of these are true I believe;

- If you use LTIR in the summer to be compliant, in our case Price whom we know will be injured all year (no chance of a comeback), it in fact does almost guarantee that no cap can be accrued because it reduces the available LTIR pool in season.

- The longer you push it off within season, the more cap accrues. Because as you said, if you use LTIR to go over cap, cap can’t be accrued.

So WTK is in fact right that if you don’t use LTIR in the summer for price, the window opens for the Habs to accrue cap. Once you put him there within season, if it pushes you over limit, then cap doesn’t accrue. But you can restart accruing if you trade like Savy Dvo and they fall below cap limit.

Am I getting this right?

Mostly. The big thing is that since cap space doesn't accrue, you may have to trade guys very early in the season if you want to accrue space and be relatively healthy. The likeliest scenario is:

1) Montreal doesn't need LTIR in the offseason because they can exceed the cap in the offseason and make paper moves to the AHL with guys who are waiver exempt to be cap compliant day 1.
2) With inevitable injuries, it will be very hard for Montreal to accrue enough cap space to the point that they wouldn't have to deal with bonus cap overages next season without other trades.
3) The LTIR space they have means they don't really need to accrue cap for in-season purposes.
4) The overages they may have next season aren't likely to be an issue, and likely wont even be noticeable unless Slaf hits his full bonus (which would mean him being one of the best players in the NHL next season, an outcome literally none of us would be upset about).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Doesn't mean there can't still be a trade or two, but it does become a lot less likely this close to camp. I don't know how desperate they are to move a guy like Anderson TBH, it might be a lot more of a thing with us fans than it is to them.

I don't think they're desperate to trade Anderson at all. Because since he's been with Montreal, he's either scored 20+ goals or has been on pace for that.

In 2020-21, he had 17 goals in 56 GP (27 goal pace)
In 2021-22, he had 19 goals in 69 GP (23 goal pace)
In 2022-23, he scored 21 goals in 69 GP (25 goal pace)

At this point, last year was an outlier. Initially, he was really snake bitten because you saw that the effort was there. As the season went on, you saw him put less of the effort in. If the same happens this year, then you worry that it might be a trend. But if he can go back to at least potting about 20 goals, then he's being Josh Anderson again.

Haha Newhook will never be a 4C but definitely agree with him on 3rd line with Roy.

Newhook centering Roy and Armia at some point last year was a very effective line.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't think they're desperate to trade Anderson at all. Because since he's been with Montreal, he's either scored 20+ goals or has been on pace for that.

At this point, last year was an outlier. Initially, he was really snake bitten because you saw that the effort was there. As the season went on, you saw him put less of the effort in. If the same happens this year, then you worry that it might be a trend. But if he can go back to at least potting about 20 goals, then he's being Josh Anderson again.

Newhook centering Roy and Armia at some point last year was a very effective line.
Anderson has left such a poor taste in everyone's mouth...............he was putrid last year, and this is coming from a former fan of his.
He spent the year pouting, and brought his fortune on himself.....awful.
Let's hope he can make a comeback, but it will have to be from the bottom 6

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Anderson has left such a poor taste in everyone's mouth...............he was putrid last year, and this is coming from a former fan of his.
I don't feel like he pouted, I feel like he just lost his confidence. Which is natural and can happen to anyone (see our new acquisition).

His first 10-15 games he played like his hair was on fire, but he didn't score. He had a lot of chances that should have probably went in and didn't. I know from experience it makes you start questioning your whole offensive philosophy and grip your stick harder. You start passing off chances you probably should be taking just because you don't trust yourself.

This season, it will either be a clean slate or he carries the baggage from last year into this one. Going to be interesting.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Ideally, yes on the 3rd line. And even the previous years, he was still frustrating to watch at times, but at least he was scoring goals. So hopefully, he becomes the goal scoring frustrating player again next year.

As I mentioned in my post before, the hope is last year was an outlier and not the start of a new trend.

Reactions: BLONG7

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
I'm curious if Montreal has another trade in the works. Probably not a major one, but something. The reason I say that is because when asked during his Zoom call, Kent said that they feel they can start the season without placing Price on LTIR.

Obviously, they can still end up doing that. But for him to say it after the Laine trade and going $2M over the cap with the move, it leads me to believe that he is still working on something.
Matheson + bag of picks for a RD

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I wouldn't be surprised if we sign JVR for his leadership/intangibles qualities. Don't know where he would fit in the lineup but he could help fill the void left by Monahan.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Habs filled the top 6 winger need and slightly alleviated the log jam on defense. They still have an enormous amount of prospect and draft capital to keep upgrading. I still want McGroarty for the 3rd line and now is the opportune time to add a potential franchise goalie in Askarov.
I know we are banking on Fowler being that guy but they can sort that out later. Goalies are very unpredictable.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
The problem with this line of thinking is that goalies rarely develop linearly. Fowler was really good this year but may take a step back, get injured, what have you.

We all viewed Primeau as Price's successor when he was going through the college ranks, then looked what happened. He's the back-up now but I'd say even his biggest fans don't see him taking over the starter's role anytime soon.

I'm not saying trade Fowler or forget about him, but don't assume we're all gravy because he's on his way. It may take him a long time to get here and be ready. That's fine, most goalies do.

Askarov is a lot closer. He's played a couple years in the AHL/pro already and, according to the Preds board, played really well except for when they got to the playoffs (a different concern).

I would feel REALLY good about our goaltending depth if we somehow went into the year with a Monty/Askarov tandem with Fowler marinating in college.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you here but him not playing well in the playoffs is a pretty big concern, i'd say.
If he can't bring it when it counts, that's a big red flag, however talented or athletic he may be.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'm curious if Montreal has another trade in the works. Probably not a major one, but something. The reason I say that is because when asked during his Zoom call, Kent said that they feel they can start the season without placing Price on LTIR.

Obviously, they can still end up doing that. But for him to say it after the Laine trade and going $2M over the cap with the move, it leads me to believe that he is still working on something.
They can? Why would they not put Price on LTIR exactly?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I mean sure we aren't desperate to move Anderson but that's more about where the team is at in it's rebuild then because Anderson has value to the team.

Also keep in mind he mostly played top-6 when he put up those numbers, it's questionable whether he'd be able to do it from the 3rd line. Working in his favour is that he's never been much of a PP scorer, so losing out on PP time (Which likely happens this year) probably doesn't impact him all that much.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm not asking for much, just Matt Martin who's free.

Give him a PTO so he can practice and play, then sign him once the Habs can put Price on LTIR

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I don't feel like he pouted, I feel like he just lost his confidence. Which is natural and can happen to anyone (see our new acquisition).

His first 10-15 games he played like his hair was on fire, but he didn't score. He had a lot of chances that should have probably went in and didn't. I know from experience it makes you start questioning your whole offensive philosophy and grip your stick harder. You start passing off chances you probably should be taking just because you don't trust yourself.

This season, it will either be a clean slate or he carries the baggage from last year into this one. Going to be interesting.
I actually thought he would have a big year because he had a really good camp and finished the previous year pretty strong too. It all went downhill when the season started.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Florida pick going to Calgary is lottery protected(no one seem really sure if that is top 15 or top 2)
The Calgary pick is top ten protected and they also protected Florida pick top 10, if neither are top10 we get the better pick, if one is top 10 we get the other pick ( most likely scenario) if Florida pick somehow doesn’t transfer we would get Calgary pick unless they win the lottery in which case we get CGY unprotected 2026 first
Calgary unprotected '26 pick be sweet

Paper moves most likely to get under cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad