HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024-25 Season

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
Would probably be to ease Savard to a rotational depth piece.

But they also mentioned that they are looking for short term help at forward with some jam and bite. So much for Marty, Hughes and Gorton wanting a soft team.
I don’t think anyone is saying they “want” a soft team, just that it was a common theme with Gorton in NYR.

The lack of grit and physicality should have been addressed in the off season in my opinion. Happy to hear that they are attempting to address it now, however.

Jul 6, 2016
Is Cale Fleury NHL caliber player still ? Habs need a RHD, and they are very rare. Fleury plays at AHL level right now but he is still young enough. And we know he is physical.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don’t think anyone is saying they “want” a soft team, just that it was a common theme with Gorton in NYR.

The lack of grit and physicality should have been addressed in the off season in my opinion. Happy to hear that they are attempting to address it now, however.

Yet it wasn't a common theme in the Bruins team that he helped build and they've talked about it many times that they want to have a team that is tough to play against, in many respects.. and they have been drafting guys who fit that archetype.

They haven't been in a place yet to specifically target UFAs or do a lot of buying, but Friedman just reported they were looking for some short term help with some jam and bite.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yet it wasn't a common theme in the Bruins team that he helped build and they've talked about it many times that they want to have a team that is tough to play against, in many respects.. and they have been drafting guys who fit that archetype.

They haven't been in a place yet to specifically target UFAs or do a lot of buying, but Friedman just reported they were looking for some short term help with some jam and bite.
Luckily there’s a limit to how they weigh "compete" because Bergevin had no limit. Hughes/Gorton still picked Demidov where I think Bergevin probably takes Iginla.

Also looking forward to see who they add for the toughness. I have a feeling it will be better than the waiver fodder that Bergevin would buy (Ott, Martinsen, etc)

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Luckily there’s a limit to how they weigh "compete" because Bergevin had no limit. Hughes/Gorton still picked Demidov where I think Bergevin probably takes Iginla.

Also looking forward to see who they add for the toughness. I have a feeling it will be better than the waiver fodder that Bergevin would buy (Ott, Martinsen, etc)

I'm curious to see it too.. the way we know if we have a top 5 management team or just a top half management team is if they can correctly identify an underappreciated asset with those skills in another organization.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Mathieu Olivier would be my target, he seems perfect for what HuGo has in mind. The Jackets seem to like him a lot but it's the last year on his current deal and they might not have much of a chance to keep him around. I'd be willing to be pretty generous offer wise, I think he'd fit real well in our lineup and at 27 he'd be young enough to try and keep for a few seasons longer. I really think he's worth the gamble.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Mathieu Olivier would be my target, he seems perfect for what HuGo has in mind. The Jackets seem to like him a lot but it's the last year on his current deal and they might not have much of a chance to keep him around. I'd be willing to be pretty generous offer wise, I think he'd fit real well in our lineup and at 27 he'd be young enough to try and keep for a few seasons longer.
He’d also be a target of mine. But I’d wait for him to have a few pointless games in a row because I wouldn’t want a massive overpay like when Jeannot randomly had a great season in Nashville.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He’d also be a target of mine. But I’d wait for him to have a few pointless games in a row because I wouldn’t want a massive overpay like when Jeannot randomly had a great season in Nashville.
Like I said, I'd be willing to be pretty generous, although not to the degree of the Jeannot trade, that's for sure :laugh: We've got a ton of picks and young B level assets, we could work something out to the Jackets liking without hurting our pool too much IMO. One of Heineman/Farrell/Roy, plus a second rounder for exemple, something like that.

Reactions: le_sean

Jul 6, 2016

Bergevin took Caufield and KK…. Not York or Thatchuk. And Hughes picked Slaf (240 lbs) over Cooley… And Reinbacker over Michkov…. Your point is not valid.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
It’s been reported by a lot of observers that they [the Montreal Canadiens] are looking for a top-4 right-handed defenseman, but who isn’t? Everyone is looking to add another top-4 defenseman, but there aren’t enough to go around. Also, from what I’ve gathered, they’re also looking for a forward with character.

Eric Engels wrote a great article about how the Canadiens aren’t hard to play against and I think they’d like to remedy that by getting a forward who can forecheck and play physical.

However, the Canadiens have a plan, especially for their young players, they have a lot of them and they don’t want to block them. Now, if something fantastic comes their way, they can’t say no. However, if it’s not something like that, the player they add will have to be compatible with what they’re trying to build for the future.”

"I think that's an avenue they'll look at, but they may have to get rid of one player to add another. I think that's the other problem they're facing." - Elliotte Friedman

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Bergevin took Caufield and KK…. Not York or Thatchuk. And Hughes picked Slaf (240 lbs) over Cooley… And Reinbacker over Michkov…. Your point is not valid.
Slaf is pretty much just as skilled as Cooley.

Do I need to bring up every single trade Bergevin ever pulled off to show you how he was only ever interested in one type of player over talent?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s been reported by a lot of observers that they [the Montreal Canadiens] are looking for a top-4 right-handed defenseman, but who isn’t? Everyone is looking to add another top-4 defenseman, but there aren’t enough to go around. Also, from what I’ve gathered, they’re also looking for a forward with character.

Eric Engels wrote a great article about how the Canadiens aren’t hard to play against and I think they’d like to remedy that by getting a forward who can forecheck and play physical.

However, the Canadiens have a plan, especially for their young players, they have a lot of them and they don’t want to block them. Now, if something fantastic comes their way, they can’t say no. However, if it’s not something like that, the player they add will have to be compatible with what they’re trying to build for the future.”

"I think that's an avenue they'll look at, but they may have to get rid of one player to add another. I think that's the other problem they're facing." - Elliotte Friedman
A couple of things playing against something happening.

For one, timing — most opportune time for striking these kind of deals is the off season. Begs the question, how did Hughes not know in the off season, that his team lacked forward toughness and an experienced RHD? Or, maybe he fully knew but wasn’t willing to pay what it takes?

Hughes not giving up futures (picks and/or prospects) as part of a deal for above assets doesn’t leave him with a whole lot of appealing pieces to dangle.

Was Hughes just using these rumor mongerers to send a message to his players?

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
A couple of things playing against something happening.

For one, timing — most opportune time for striking these kind of deals is the off season. Begs the question, how did Hughes not know in the off season, that his team lacked forward toughness and an experienced RHD? Or, maybe he fully knew but wasn’t willing to pay what it takes?

Hughes not giving up futures (picks and/or prospects) as part of a deal for above assets doesn’t leave him with a whole lot of appealing pieces to dangle.

Was Hughes just using these rumor mongerers to send a message to his players?
Highes has no issue giving up 1st round picks for reclamation projects. I tend to agree with your last sentence. He's probably just f***ing with his team to get them to play at least the size they are.

Reactions: Runner77

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021

If Hughes is looking for a younger forward Mathieu Olivier tha he can sign to an extension....if it is a veteran forward who can forecheck Brandon Tanev last year of contract in Seattle.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I know Philly and Utah like Tippett and Crouse, but thats who Id be after, and we should have what they'd be after. But what's the ask?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Tanev would be a great add to this team in my opinion to play on the 4th line as an agressive forechecker. Would be much better than Pezzetta...
Yeah I'd definitely inquire about Tanev and even Gourde. He's a pain in the ass to deal with even if he's 5'9.

CC-Suzuki-Dach
Heineman-Newhook-Kapanen
Anderson-Evans-Gallagher
Tanev-Gourde-Armia

I just have no idea what Seattle wants in return in addition to taking back Dvorak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad