Why are there no good NHL podcasts or youtube channels?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've heard that people like that Star Wars guy Ecks NHL content, but I haven't really watched it.

And the reason is simple, audience size. If you want to make a living as a sports Youtuber, why on earth focus on the NHL when MLB, NBA, and especially the NFL are all way more popular and there's subsequently a higher earnings/viewership ceiling with those sports? I get that they're also more crowded to get into, but the NHL is relatively a small pond for internet commentary.

Reactions: DaveG

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
NFL is easy because there's not a ton of games, so you can hit all of the main stories league-wide and discuss each interesting game pretty easily. It's just a different beast from a sport with 82 games every day of the week.

NBA is probably more engaging because it's star-driven, and most NBA fans are *basketball fans* first. So there's a lot more cross-polination.

NHL - hockey fans mostly follow their team. It's localized and silo'd. So a lot of the general podcasts, if they're not talking about Dylan Larkin is a top 4 center in the league and if you don't know that you just don't watch the Red Wings enough or whatever homer take fans have, they don't get interest.

IDK - hockey also just isn't very popular outside of a few markets. Is there a single US market where the NHL is the main draw?

Reactions: DaveG

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
People saying that hockey youtube channels make no money but yesterday I was listening to a very good Giants one and saw it had 11k views in 4 days, meanwhile that idiot SteveDangle got like 80k views in a day for some clowning rant about the Leafs.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Pete Blackburn has a new one that's pretty solid, What Chaos. It's can be a bit East-centric, as he's a pretty devoted Boston fan, but they're a good mix of banter and discussion.

Reactions: Forge

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If you want analysis, the HockeyPDOcast is great. I listen to every episode.

Interviews with a variety of people in the game, lots of detailed breakdowns on individual players, plays, team-level schemes, and leaguewide trends. With some more light-hearted content mixed in.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
NHL - hockey fans mostly follow their team.

3. I don’t think many hockey fans care much about teams outside of their favorite team.

Maybe more hockey fans should do what they can to increase the buzz around the sport and the league. One of the things is watching more of other teams or getting more information about what other teams are doing. Similar to how I think its up to more women to make women sports more popular and not the guys responsibility.
Seems like everything is either vanilla and boring (The Hockey Guy) or over the top clownish (SteveDangle).
Idk, I think it comes more down to content and delivery. There is normal people on Youtube that are making I'd say pretty okay content with good intentions, but their voice or delivery is a pain in the ass to listen to.

I think the The Hockey Guy is interesting, not all of his content is, but of course he doesn't stand there and scream and talk about dick picks like other fools who haven't grown up yet. Most of them former players with a torn in their side for different people and acting childish.

Steve Dangle is over the top at times I would agree to that, also too much Leafs to consistently watch everything.

There some guys talking about Islanders that I think are for the most part okay to listen too, and there used to be this girl talking about Buffalo Sabres, idk where she went but it was decent. More of a vlog sometimes than podcast, but okay.

I think the biggest thing to be honest is most lack the options of getting content they could use for fair use to actually make better content visually and not just monologue.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe more hockey fans should do what they can to increase the buzz around the sport and the league. One of the things is watching more of other teams or getting more information about what other teams are doing. Similar to how I think its up to more women to make women sports more popular and not the guys responsibility.

Idk, I think it comes more down to content and delivery. There is normal people on Youtube that are making I'd say pretty okay content with good intentions, but their voice or delivery is a pain in the ass to listen to.

I think the The Hockey Guy is interesting, not all of his content is, but of course he doesn't stand there and scream and talk about dick picks like other fools who haven't grown up yet. Most of them former players with a torn in their side for different people and acting childish.

Steve Dangle is over the top at times I would agree to that, also too much Leafs to consistently watch everything.

There some guys talking about Islanders that I think are for the most part okay to listen too, and there used to be this girl talking about Buffalo Sabres, idk where she went but it was decent. More of a vlog sometimes than podcast, but okay.

I think the biggest thing to be honest is most lack the options of getting content they could use for fair use to actually make better content visually and not just monologue.

I'm glad The Hockey Guy doesn't yell but you can be entertaining without that. But every time he discusses games he gives absolutely no insights and just reads what happened. I'm not convinced he knows all that much about hockey. Literally anyone can do that and he's not entertaining in delivery. I like his power rankings because I like seeing the Rangers high up.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Most casual fans only follow one team. Other sports fans will tune in and watch multiple teams/ multiple games in a week, especially NFL/NBA.
If the NHL made it easier to watch other teams I would. It's hard enough to have all of the right subscriptions just to follow my own team.

Part of why I enjoy the playoffs so much is that all of the games are on and easy to find.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
There’s actually quite a few very nice hockey podcasts in Russian. They typically have many Russian NHLers big interviews in the off season and some bloggers travel to different NHL cities where Russians play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad