Why are there no good NHL podcasts or youtube channels?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've heard that people like that Star Wars guy Ecks NHL content, but I haven't really watched it.

And the reason is simple, audience size. If you want to make a living as a sports Youtuber, why on earth focus on the NHL when MLB, NBA, and especially the NFL are all way more popular and there's subsequently a higher earnings/viewership ceiling with those sports? I get that they're also more crowded to get into, but the NHL is relatively a small pond for internet commentary.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
NFL is easy because there's not a ton of games, so you can hit all of the main stories league-wide and discuss each interesting game pretty easily. It's just a different beast from a sport with 82 games every day of the week.

NBA is probably more engaging because it's star-driven, and most NBA fans are *basketball fans* first. So there's a lot more cross-polination.

NHL - hockey fans mostly follow their team. It's localized and silo'd. So a lot of the general podcasts, if they're not talking about Dylan Larkin is a top 4 center in the league and if you don't know that you just don't watch the Red Wings enough or whatever homer take fans have, they don't get interest.

IDK - hockey also just isn't very popular outside of a few markets. Is there a single US market where the NHL is the main draw?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad