HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
But those are precisely the types of posters I'm talking about. Those who dream of us doing this and then get pissed when Joel Armia scores a goal.

So why'd you bother replying?
I'd argue that yes, there are certainly many posters here who have spent so much time on HF and talking about drafts that they get a bigger kick out of tanking than they would out of victories. For a significant amount of posters it seems like prospect talk is the driving factor of their fandom, not the actual club.
I replied to this; Can't see how that correlates with Chicago acquiring Khabibulin.

Most poster who are in favor of tanking on these board advocate unloading contract of mid-level veterans (in a context where the team is already bad) to aquire more drafting capital, and indirectly this equates to a worst team which translate to higher pick. Of course they will cheer for losses in that time frame: the end goal is better draft pick. The whole point of tanking is to draft high in the future. No one cheers for losses for the hell of it.

Further more, when the team is on the lower ranks of the standing and far from the realm of being a championship contender; ofc fans will have a particular interest for prospect and future since they should be the building block of a better future. No one wants to trade their performing vets when they are competing for division title and the Stanley Cup.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Where the heck did the 'does not want to sign in Canada' narrative come from? Or even that he doesn't want to sign in Winnipeg? This is all just speculation running rampant.
All Friedman said is that both sides are being silent on the matter and his name is out there.
His Advisors/agents are ghosting the Jets and you think it's for what exactly? We just had Gauthier do that to the Flyers last year and he wanted out.

So unless Friedman shared that information out of his ass because he can't get any scoop these days and he doesn't remember he announced just 2 months ago that both parties talked to each others: something changed and McGroarty wants out now.

And NCAA players never request trade to Canadian teams when they don't want to play for the team with their rights.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
But what's interesting about the article is that the 20 players who are on the list are there because said list is based on 'what The Athletic hears from NHL sources.'

This would ultimately mean that it is possible to see Matheson leave before the start of the next season, according to The Athletic's sources. At least his name is circulating. » - Via DansLesCoulisses

Reactions: HabzSauce

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
When will it be the Habs’ cycle to be ambitious, spend to get top players, and expect deep cup runs?

In my 20+ years of die hard fandom it has been precisely 0 years. The closest we got was the half season where Tanguay and Lang got injured in those barberpole jerseys… and we didn’t have the necessary C depth to actually compete then either, not even with old man Lang.

Yep, and in my mind the reason is exactly because the Habs didn't adapted to the new NHL situation.

They tried to win every year at all cost.

Or tried to botch things with the famous MB "reset on the fly", that ended up in a total mess.

In that +/- 20 years span, Habs had mediocre to good teams, but even those good teams were lacking one important element or two to be considered real contenders.

The MB era is a good example of this.

MB, behind his "biceps club" personna, was insecure as hell.

Between 2013 and maybe 2017, he had a good team, but he p***yfooted.

He didn't want to sacrifice his "future" (late 1st rd picks) to address his team flaws (namely a real good center), but at the same time failed to maximize those "future" assets. Because his team's drafting/development departments were no good.

So he ended up with nothing...

Like I said, I trust HuGo because they have the right mindset to build a real contender.

And I trust them that when the time will come, they'll have the balls to sacrifice a little future to give their team the little push to get them to the higher level.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Yep, and in my mind the reason is exactly because the Habs didn't adapted to the new NHL situation.

They tried to win every year at all cost.

[…]

In that +/- 20 years span, Habs had mediocre to good teams, but even those good teams were lacking one important element or two to be considered real contenders.

The MB era is a good example of this.

[…]

Between 2013 and maybe 2017, he had a good team, but he p***yfooted.

He didn't want to sacrifice his "future" (late 1st rd picks) to address his team flaws (namely a real good center), but at the same time failed to maximize those "future" assets. Because his team's drafting/development departments were no good.
I detect some contradiction here

I think Gainey, Gauthier, Bergevin, and Hughes have not shown one iota of ability to build a winning team. Until they do I don’t trust them. I’ll be hopeful (and I admit my commentary here has been too negative and pessimistic, something I’ve learned to adjust) but trust has to be earned.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I detect some contradiction here

I think Gainey, Gauthier, Bergevin, and Hughes have not shown one iota of ability to build a winning team. Until they do I don’t trust them. I’ll be hopeful (and I admit my commentary here has been too negative and pessimistic, something I’ve learned to adjust) but trust has to be earned.

You're right.

And frankly, us Habs fans were ecstatic about MB in his debut.

And then he showed us his true colors.

But I don't know, Hughes inspires me confidence.

He looks like a rational guy with a clear plan. A guy that can keep his emotions in check in order to maintain a clear view.

Plus he's an ex elite agent, so he has the basic skills to be a good GM: young players evaluation, contract negotiations, managing players expectations, etc..

MB, I'm sure, was good in his assistant GM role. He's a funny guy that was perfect to make the bridge between the players and the management.

But, as an NHL GM, he has hit his incompetence level.

Future will tell for Hughes.

Last edited:
Reactions: themilosh

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
When will it be the Habs’ cycle to be ambitious, spend to get top players, and expect deep cup runs?
When the rebuild yields a team worthy of going after UFAs or trading for prime players. We're not there yet. I'm glad the team seems commited to the plan. They're doing exactly what many of us have advocated for so long. They've picked a direction and are seeing it through.

In the next two years we'll see the following players added to the lineup: Hutson, RB, Mailloux and Beck. Roy has already joined. A huge influx of young talent. That's five players who all have really good potential and we've got another top five this year.

I doubt we're a playoff club this season. We're going to be so green. But I think you'll see us make the postseason next year. After that, you might start to see trades/UFA whatever. But I think mgmt wants to see what we can do before that.

The wildcard will be injuries. If Dach gets hurt... we're looking for another center.

Last edited:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
These players should be penalized for five years minimum it's making a mockery of the draft process.
Oh I'm not going to sign here well f*** off to Europe then.

Completely agree. It’s a stupid loophole.

NHL teams should hold their rights for an additional 3 years after college to deter them from pulling this shit.

Reactions: Rapala

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Jets pick + Barron to play with his brother (THEY BOTH CANT ASK OUT OF WINNIPEG HIGHER CHANCE TO STAY AND BUILD A HOME TOGETHER!)

listen it helps you out I can throw in a Kidney...best I can do.

Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 12.32.09 PM.png

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Maybe he is just not interested to play in Canada.
This is not the case. He wanted to play in Winnipeg, the problem is that the jets didn’t want to guarantee him any NHL games this year after signing the contract nor were they willing to give him any shot at making the nhl next year, basically telling him it was guaranteed AHL for him.

The jets have an old fashioned development approach and he views himself as NHL ready. Whomever trades for him will have to pretty much guarantee playing time.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
McGroarty probably wouldn't want to play for us so I don't see the point of talking about him. Not to mention that Hughes seems pretty adamant on having strong skaters on the team and McGroarty's skating is ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad