HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Here is more info.
Wants to play in NHL, not happy with WPG development plans, was upset they wouldn't sign him and let him play in NHL at end of season.
Also says trade is likely to happen before the draft...very soon.

What I'm hearing about why Jets top prospect Rutger McGroarty is in trade talks
Get the kitchen sink ready, Hugo are getting antsy!

He might be the player “we didn’t know” was available but now is.

His skating is not his best asset but thats not everything. This place didn't want Vilardi or Tippett for the same reasons.
Toffoli comes to mind

McGroarty probably wouldn't want to play for us so I don't see the point of talking about him. Not to mention that Hughes seems pretty adamant on having strong skaters on the team and McGroarty's skating is ugly.
Gorton, Hughes and MSL have massive reach and pull with the Americans.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I’d do it.
Me too. Perfect fit, and then you can draft Dickinson or Buium if Demidov is not there anymore.

Still a high payment in a draft year when 26 OA may garner you a player that is the equal, if not superior, to McGroarty.
I really like McGroarty. A true leader with grit. Would be the perfect culture fit.

Then you can draft a LHD if Demidov is gone at #5. I really, really like both Dickinson and Buium.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
If we came out of the draft with a D and McGroarty I’d be fine with it. The question becomes whether he doesn’t want to play in the Peg or Canada in general. Hard to say if Caufield/Hutson could convince him to sign.

Reactions: themilosh

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
If we came out of the draft with a D and McGroarty I’d be fine with it. The question becomes whether he doesn’t want to play in the Peg or Canada in general. Hard to say if Caufield/Hutson could convince him to sign.
Sounds like a real future team leader: he has to be convinced to play here.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Sounds like a real future team leader: he has to be convinced to play here.
I find it kind of weird that “the Russian factor” is always kind of a thing, but the “young American playing college hockey” factor isn’t.

More and more of these guys are forcing their way out of teams who pick them and where they want to go. It has to be a consideration going forward.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Be honest, who are knew about this McGroarty kid yesterday and who has seen him play at least 1 game of hockey? Or at the very least watched some youtube highlight of him lmao.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
People on here make up their own stuff and run with it, it's nuts. Nobody ever aid he doesn't want to play in Canada, he's just not happy with WPG because they didn't sign him at the end of last season. That's it....
As Murat Ates’ article states, Jets were ready to sign him, but McGroarty wanted to be guaranteed a regular NHL shift at end of the season into playoffs - WPG didn’t think he was NHL ready and he wouldn’t go to AHL

This is Cutter Gauthier all over again..

First it was buying out 1st year of ELC, now it seems the next phase has arrived, guaranteed NHL TOI

Reactions: Gustave

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I'm all for moving the WPG pick in a package to get some help, but I don't want to trade it just for the sake of making a trade and pick up some middling player. You can get lucky and get some real talent late in the first.

Carlson, Theodore, Thompson, Pastrnak, Coyle, are all guys who have been picked around that 25-28 spot. You get your share of duds as well, but it's always worth having another dart.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I find it kind of weird that “the Russian factor” is always kind of a thing, but the “young American playing college hockey” factor isn’t.

More and more of these guys are forcing their way out of teams who pick them and where they want to go. It has to be a consideration going forward.
I brought it up last year leading up to the draft. American college students will insist to get signed early and to slingshot themselves to UFA… or else they have the opportunity to bolt. It’s impressive they’ve found a way through it but it’s a shame we’ve already gotten bit by this with Hutson for instance. I figured Hughes would be more savvy but it doesn’t seem like he has any recourse.

I would reconsider how I view these prospects because it can really derail contract planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad