HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I'm all for moving the WPG pick in a package to get some help, but I don't want to trade it just for the sake of making a trade and pick up some middling player. You can get lucky and get some real talent late in the first.

Carlson, Theodore, Thompson, Pastrnak, Coyle, are all guys who have been picked around that 25-28 spot. You get your share of duds as well, but it's always worth having another dart.
If it means drafting 10-15 I'm all for it.

Going back to 2005 you get the like of Kopitar, Dobson, Bouchard, Karlsson, Rantanen, Suzuki, McAvoy, Larkin, Necas, F.Fosberg, Miller, etc. This change a team right here.

Reactions: Canadienna

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
winnipeg isn;t taking Harris and the 26th OA for McGroarty (grade A prospect), you have to offer more than that. reverse the roles; we'd be up in arms if that was "all" we got for Mcgroarty.
Well they aren’t in a position of strength. But up the offer if that’s the case. He’s not exactly Cutter Gauthier.

Reactions: Rapala and dralaf

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Well they aren’t in a position of strength. But up the offer if that’s the case. He’s not exactly Cutter Gauthier.
yeah, but there are 31 other teams who would offer "more" than 26th + Harris. Habs Mngmnt simply haven't understood how to "let go of prospects" to improve the roster... We have way too many prospects and picks rn, and those assets have to be used to improve the top 6. Mcgroarty is a legit top 6, young and pedigree.
So he doesn;t want to play in Winnipeg? quite frankly I dont blame him. unless CC and Hutson have anything bad to say about their national team Captain, I cant see why Hugo wouldn't offer what it would take to make that happen. Everyone penciling in Dach for next year, but he hasn't shown he can stay healthy for one year (ever), and all his injuries have been season ending.. insane to put faith in his longevity.

Last edited:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
People putting Mailloux in the same category as Harris and Struble is killing me. Absolutely stupid.
Yeah, not nice to call people stupid.

Watched plenty of Mailloux in Laval, and let's just say people who are not enamoured with Barron's hockey IQ won't be with Mailloux, so...

Be careful calling others stupid.

Reactions: Habano and Rapala

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If he's only mad because he didn't get to play then I hope the Habs are interested in that, but does that mean he wants to then be signed by whichever team acquires him so he can play at the start of this season?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I should be so lucky to be paid like those slaves.
If only you hustled harder and willed yourself to being top 99.9th percentile in a professional sport

yeah, but there are 31 other teams who would offer "more" than 26th + Harris. Habs Mngmnt simply haven't understood how to "let go of prospects" to improve the roster... We have way too many prospects and picks rn, and those assets have to be used to improve the top 6. Mcgroarty is a legit top 6, young and pedigree.
He’s not a legit top6 player, because he’s not in the NHL. But I otherwise agree that the Habs should get rid of what is essentially flotsam — Kidney, Farrell, etc — and leverage some D depth — Barron, Strubel, Harris, Mailloux — for roster upgrades

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
The Canes are definitely in win now mode, I can't see them looking to add prospects and picks. Maybe not forward for equivalent forward, but regular player for regular player. The Matheson rumor might not be too far off the mark.
Matheson can go for all I care.

Going from a pissed off Petry at the end of his rope to a Necas would be a masterclass of asset management.

Last edited:

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
As Murat Ates’ article states, Jets were ready to sign him, but McGroarty wanted to be guaranteed a regular NHL shift at end of the season into playoffs - WPG didn’t think he was NHL ready and he wouldn’t go to AHL

This is Cutter Gauthier all over again..

First it was buying out 1st year of ELC, now it seems the next phase has arrived, guaranteed NHL TOI
It doesn't say he wants a guaranteed regular NHL shift but he does want to play in the NHL.
That's not unreasonable for one of the top propsects not in the league (11th on Buttons list, 14th on Wheelers). It no surprise that Lane Hutson and Cole Caufield signings were made based on them playing the end of their season to burn a year off their contracts. Same with Harris and Farrell.
Kapanen has a clause that he returns to Europe if he doesn't make the team.

All this said, Montreal is a team that will play him regularly in the NHL because they are in a different stage of competing than Winnipeg and they are very patient with rookies.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I find it kind of weird that “the Russian factor” is always kind of a thing, but the “young American playing college hockey” factor isn’t.

More and more of these guys are forcing their way out of teams who pick them and where they want to go. It has to be a consideration going forward.
This is insane and I can imagine few teams will avoid drafting NCAA guys. Could you imagine Slaf or Reinbacher doinv something similar and forcing move out of Montreal?
Reinbacher could have just said that MTL fans are idiots how they reacted to his draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad