HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
My concern with Necas is that if he remains the player he is now, you risk having an overpaid 3rd liner in a couple of years as the team will need someone better than him in the top 6. Much like counting down the years remaining on Drouin, Anderson, Gallagher, Dvorak, Hoffman and Armia. Not sure even if Necas is even suitable as a 3rd liner. Much prefer a placeholder on a 2-3 year deal.
he needs to be a top #1 line player... for the coin they will need to drop

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Barron's put up 12 goals and 30 points in 94 games despite playing minimal on the PP, there is a room for improvement on the defensive side but given he's only 22 years old he can still improve.

Thomas Harley is a good example of why it is important to be patient with young D. He spent time in the AHL and NHL the last three years, had his ups and downs, then broke out this year as a 22 year old.

I'll preface this by saying I like Barron and agree that some people are unrealistically harsh on both his performance and upside. But I think its also because people recognize (either directly or indirectly) that Montreal relies a lot on offense from their D, Montreal has a lot of D that produce offensively, and offense from D gets overrated. Matheson, Savard and Guhle have also been very productive at ES/5v5 over the last couple of seasons, and all can be relied on in tougher minutes.

If Montreal needed RD depth, he'd be a guy fans would want the team to consider bringing in. But fans are willing to bet on Mailloux and Reinbacher being better, so they want to dump Barron. Which is ill-advised, but not surprising.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Kent Johnson is the big game that Hughes goes hunting IMO.

Waddell will want to put his stamp on the team, Hughes is looking for a young talented forward. I can see these two clubs making a big trade.
Trading a young, promising prospect isn't the way you put your stamp on a new team.

He likely goes to him and tells him it's going to be a new experience and to give it a chance

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I'll preface this by saying I like Barron and agree that some people are unrealistically harsh on both his performance and upside. But I think its also because people recognize (either directly or indirectly) that Montreal relies a lot on offense from their D, Montreal has a lot of D that produce offensively, and offense from D gets overrated. Matheson, Savard and Guhle have also been very productive at ES/5v5 over the last couple of seasons, and all can be relied on in tougher minutes.

If Montreal needed RD depth, he'd be a guy fans would want the team to consider bringing in. But fans are willing to bet on Mailloux and Reinbacher being better, so they want to dump Barron. Which is ill-advised, but not surprising.

I can't speak for others, but for me it is not that Barron is bad, it is that he fail to address a need. Like you said, there are a lot of other D that can bring what he does and sometimes better then he can. So to quote MSL "what chair does he fill??". To me, once Hutson, Guhle, Reinbacher and Mailloux have reached a higher level of maturity in their game, they should provide a better round up performance then Barron... that say, once you add Xhekaj, you are left with a need for a physical/defensive RD.

So all that to say, that I'm ok to trade him because he's redundant in the "big plan", and well... isn't what we always say... trade from a position of strength to shore up a weaker position??

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
The Flames were dumb enough to let Bennett and Tkachuk go .. let's see what we can get out of them at the draft. I wouldn't want to lock up Necas long term, too risky on this rebuild.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I can't speak for others, but for me it is not that Barron is bad, it is that he fail to address a need. Like you said, there are a lot of other D that can bring what he does and sometimes better then he can. So to quote MSL "what chair does he fill??". To me, once Hutson, Guhle, Reinbacher and Mailloux have reached a higher level of maturity in their game, they should provide a better round up performance then Barron... that say, once you add Xhekaj, you are left with a need for a physical/defensive RD.

So all that to say, that I'm ok to trade him because he's redundant in the "big plan", and well... isn't what we always say... trade from a position of strength to shore up a weaker position??

I don't think many people have any issue with trading from a position of strength to shore up a weaker position. A small group of people (myself included) don't get the urgency when guys like Reinbacher and Mailloux haven't taken the next step, especially since Barron was excellent in the AHL).

The real thing people on here react to is either dumping Barron/proposing trading him for pieces that have almost no chance of addressing a need, or overvaluing him as a trade piece.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I don't think many people have any issue with trading from a position of strength to shore up a weaker position. A small group of people (myself included) don't get the urgency when guys like Reinbacher and Mailloux haven't taken the next step, especially since Barron was excellent in the AHL).

The real thing people on here react to is either dumping Barron/proposing trading him for pieces that have almost no chance of addressing a need, or overvaluing him as a trade piece.
I get you. I think that for myself, if I look at what could be available to trade for MTL, I see barron as a obvious element that we can spare.

My preference would be that Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux and Egstrom all start in Laval next season and move up if and when needed/deserving.

That would leave the main club with
Matheson - Guhle
Xhakaj - Savard
Struble/Harris - Kova

I also said that I'm all for adding a physical RD, so let say KH sign Pesce (or a similar D), now you have

Mathson - Pesce
Xhakaj - Guhle
Struble - Savard.
Kova

At the trade deadline, you can ship Savard now as you have Pesce (or someone like him), and maybe Stuble too and move up 2 guys from Laval

Matheson - Pesce
Guhle - Reibacher
Xhakaj - Mailloux

All that to say... Barron is expendable ;)

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Necas for Matheson would be a hell of asset management.

I'm very skeptical Carolina would consider that, but it by far makes the most sense from a Montreal POV. Especially since Montreal will have the cap space to add a worse but playable veteran D.

What he seeks and what he gets are two diff things.

Yesterday I brought up the comp with Owen Tippett.

Same age
Same draft class (Necas 10th overall, Tippett 12th overall)
Both coming off 53pt seasons

Tippett just signed an 8 year deal at 6.2M/yr.

Necas has a 70 point season and has standout speed. But I'd tend to trust contract modelling and guesses of insiders.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Necas has a 70 point season and has standout speed. But I'd tend to trust contract modelling and guesses of insiders.
well I definitely think he can get more because as you just said, he's a bit more proven than Tippett, but it offers a framework.

That's why I've been saying since yesterday that all the talk of a perspective contract for Necas throwing the entire salary structure of the Habs out of whack is overstated, I think he can be signed in the 6.5-7.5M range and I think that's perfectly reasonable and not at all prohibitive for the Habs cap structure.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Matheson for Necas as a framework seems like it makes a lot of sense. Habs have the assets to add.
Given the Hurricanes situation on defense with only Slavin (1 more year), Burns (1 more year), Orlov (1 more year), as proven NHL Dmen, I wonder how much more the Habs would really have to add?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad