HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Why are people so low on Barron ? Many fans ask for patience towards young players but if therey are not top 2Dmen after 2 years they want to trade them…
Because roster size has limits and waivers exemption are a thing of the past for him. Decisions are required now, not when he figures it out.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Because roster size has limits and waivers exemption are a thing of the past for him. Decisions are required now, not when he figures it out.
They’re not going to risk losing him to waivers, they'd waive Kovacevic before that

Reactions: Benstheman

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

So you lose Barron to have a shot at keeping kovacevic Harris and Struble ? Are the Habs that deep at RD ?

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I am a LAK fan and I say no.

Barron is not the player Kings need.
LA needs physical LD prospect, physical forward prospects, good goalie prospect or good draft pick.
Barron is none of those.
Kaliev is very talented scoring forward, but he did not work out in LA.
A lot of teams looking at him as buy low options for fairly cheap trade now.
In my opinion, when a lot of teams trying to do this to buy low option it will become fair trade option.

I dont know enough about Kaliev so I can't comment on him and his value, but if LA is looking at a physical LD... that scream Struble

Reactions: BLONG7 and kinghock

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
They’re not going to risk losing him to waivers, they'd waive Kovacevic before that
There's more than 1 guy that needs to go to make room. There's basically 9 guy that are in the mix for the NHL spots.

Matheson
Savard
Harris
Struble
Barron
Kovacevic
Xhekaj
Guhle
Hutson

That's not even including Reinbacher who could very well show up in camp ready for the big league. Or guys like Mailloux and Engstrom who could surprise as well.

So you lose Barron to have a shot at keeping kovacevic Harris and Struble ? Are the Habs that deep at RD ?

See above for Kovacevic but Harris and Struble showed much more in the pros than Barron did, so yes, I would trade him before those 2. I would be in favor of trading Harris/Struble before him as they're LHD and would most likely return a little more than Barron, which would return basically future considerations or another struggling prospect.

Reactions: 417 and BLONG7

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I don't know how many times I've brought this up. It's kind of relevant.

Expecting players to negotiate their contracts based Nick Suzuki's deal that was negotiated during a flat cap, when the cap is growing, is just not realistic.
on the same token, I prefer our top 6 (all) being paid btw 7M-9M. the standard has been set with Suzuki and it looks like Hugo are very active about getting players signed earl(ier).

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
There's more than 1 guy that needs to go to make room. There's basically 9 guy that are in the mix for the NHL spots.

Matheson
Savard
Harris
Struble
Barron
Kovacevic
Xhekaj
Guhle
Hutson

That's not even including Reinbacher who could very well show up in camp ready for the big league. Or guys like Mailloux and Engstrom who could surprise as well.

See above for Kovacevic but Harris and Struble showed much more in the pros than Barron did, so yes, I would trade him before those 2. I would be in favor of trading Harris/Struble before him as they're LHD and would most likely return a little more than Barron, which would return basically future considerations or another struggling prospect.
The development process, now, allows everyone to be patient. There should be no rushing anyone to the NHL.
We do though, have to make a more, or two really to get the ball rolling, in order to turn the team over to more of our young players.
Our vets have like Matheson and Savard on the back end are very valuable to us, and other teams.
How to proceed? That's up to the tandem that now runs the show.
This..............is a pleasant problem unlike some of the stench left behind by the previous crowd.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Agreed...who said otherwise? Has anyone suggested the Habs should pay Necas 10M/yr?

But the line has been drawn at paying a player market value. I'm not sure how paying what would place a guy about 80th in the league in cap hit, blowing the Habs salary structure, especially when you consider the cap is growing and that number will just continue to go lower.

It reminds me of some fans who said Nick Suzuki making 7.8M when he signed his deal completely overpaid, I argued then that in a few years it would be a bargain and that deal today is an absolute bargain.
Meh, ignore them. Suzuki was always going to be an excellent player. If I recall correctly, I was over the moon with the Pacioretty trade because I thought he could turn into a #1C. Obviously it's taken some time, but he's continually progressed as a player and leader since day 1.

Reactions: 417 and Benstheman

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Matheson
Savard
Harris
Struble
Barron
Kovacevic
Xhekaj
Guhle
Hutson

Yes I understand that but Hughes from what we've seen isn't big on losing assets for nothing. They spent the entire year hoarding 3 goalies, I can't see him just exposing Barron to waivers cause he'd get snapped up in a second.

Also I know Barron isn't the most popular around here, but whose to say he doesn't have a strong camp and make himself part of the top 6 right off the bat? He's still a very talented player, I think he's been written off way too quickly.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
on the same token, I prefer our top 6 (all) being paid btw 7M-9M. the standard has been set with Suzuki and it looks like Hugo are very active about getting players signed earl(ier).
Meh...i'm not as concerned personally. Like I said earlier, I remember participating in multiple debates when the Habs signed Suzuki to his extension, a lot of folks were concerned about how a guy who had proven so little, got paid so much money.

Now he's become the standard that all upcoming players on the team must be under. It's all relative, contracts whether they're good or bad change from year to year, I don't really get caught up in that. I want the team to assemble the best lineup possible and that means some guys will be overpaid, some guys will be underpaid. It all balances itself out.

Reactions: themilosh

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Yes I understand that but Hughes from what we've seen isn't big on losing assets for nothing. They spent the entire year hoarding 3 goalies, I can't see him just exposing Barron to waivers cause he'd get snapped up in a second.

Also I know Barron isn't the most popular around here, but whose to say he doesn't have a strong camp and make himself part of the top 6 right off the bat? He's still a very talented player, I think he's been written off way too quickly.
I agree, I've never argued he should be waived. He should be traded before having to be put on waivers.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Why are people so low on Barron ? Many fans ask for patience towards young players but if therey are not top 2Dmen after 2 years they want to trade them…

Barron's put up 12 goals and 30 points in 94 games despite playing minimal on the PP, there is a room for improvement on the defensive side but given he's only 22 years old he can still improve.

Thomas Harley is a good example of why it is important to be patient with young D. He spent time in the AHL and NHL the last three years, had his ups and downs, then broke out this year as a 22 year old.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Barron's put up 12 goals and 30 points in 94 games despite playing minimal on the PP, there is a room for improvement on the defensive side but given he's only 22 years old he can still improve.

Thomas Harley is a good example of why it is important to be patient with young D. He spent time in the AHL and NHL the last three years, had his ups and downs, then broke out this year as a 22 year old.
Fair enough, but if Barron doesn't blow everyone away at camp, he's going to be a #7 dman given that he needs waivers.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
My concern with Necas is that if he remains the player he is now, you risk having an overpaid 3rd liner in a couple of years as the team will need someone better than him in the top 6. Much like counting down the years remaining on Drouin, Anderson, Gallagher, Dvorak, Hoffman and Armia. Not sure even if Necas is even suitable as a 3rd liner. Much prefer a placeholder on a 2-3 year deal.

Reactions: Deus ex machina
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad