HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Most are aware that the cap is going up and that the internal structure they have with Suzuki as the highest paid player won't hold forever. Hughes said as much.

But the longer it holds, the better.

A player will eventually be paid more than Suzuki, but i don't think that Necas is good enough to be that player.
I think Necas falls in the $7M range.

Dutronc

May 14, 2018
It seems Arthur Kaliyev asked for a trade..

1 for 1 : Barron vs Kaliyev ?

For me its a yes and if I was a LAK fan, I probably say yes too.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Definitely a buy-low candidate. Maybe if the big-game spending doesn't work out, I can see them exploring this.

I would also trade Barron for him. But I'm not high on Barron at all.

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby
There is something to do with Kakko. I wish HuGo take a chance with this player who should not cost much.

If he doesn’t work as a top 6, he can be a good option on the 3rd line

Reactions: Benstheman

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
There is something to do with Kakko. I wish HuGo take a chance with this player who should not cost much.

If he doesn’t work as a top 6, he can be a good option on the 3rd line
I do not want to waste any asset on Kakko. He's been bad in all the game I saw. no offensise, poor decision making, lack of physical implication or too weak to win battles, etc.

If KH can get him for a 3rd pick... maybe, but after what I saw, he's about to join KK island.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Oh no, breaking the salary structure of a bad team.

It’s just following a market that is established by a bunch of factors. If we are determined in keeping Nick Suzuki our best player, we are not going to accomplish anything.
Necas is not better than Suzuki. That's what you need to understand.

The problem is not to break the salary structure. It's breaking it with the wrong players. Giving much more money to Draisaitl or Reinhart as UFAs is note a problem. Giving more money to Necas as a RFA might be.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Not a chance.. Habs aren't going to trade a right shot defenseman who is developing for a low energy, low pulse, no game other than his shot guy like Kaliyev.

Kaliyev is the epitome of everything they don't want.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Suzuki didn't need a 70-80pt season to become the highest paid forward in the history of this franchise.

If Slaf turns into a 70-80pt beast, he’ll have an argument to make considerably more.

This whole payroll structure thing is an odd concept for me.

Suzuki signed his deal in 2021, its now 2024, yet we’re negotiating deals with players like we’re still in 2021?

You're 100% right that the cost to acquire Martin Necas is going to be steep, which makes it even more odd that if you're willing to meet that cost of acquisition, that the stopping point ends up being 500K more.

We’ll give you a 1st round pick, Joshua Roy and more.

But 7.9M/yr?

That's where we draw the line.

Weird.
No Not weird at all.

You make a deal with Carolina if the price of the trade is reasonnable for you and if Necas contract demands are ok for you.

You have to draw the line at some point. And yes team salary structure is a thing, whether you like it or not.

It’s just following a market that is established by a bunch of factors. If we are determined in keeping Nick Suzuki our best player, we are not going to accomplish anything.
Buit signing a worst player than Suzuki to a bigger salary is good?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No Not weird at all.

You make a deal with Carolina if the price of the trade is reasonnable for you and if Necas contract demands are ok for you.
Agreed...who said otherwise? Has anyone suggested the Habs should pay Necas 10M/yr?
You have to draw the line at some point. And yes team salary structure is a thing, whether you like it or not.
But the line has been drawn at paying a player market value. I'm not sure how paying what would place a guy about 80th in the league in cap hit, blowing the Habs salary structure, especially when you consider the cap is growing and that number will just continue to go lower.

It reminds me of some fans who said Nick Suzuki making 7.8M when he signed his deal completely overpaid, I argued then that in a few years it would be a bargain and that deal today is an absolute bargain.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016

The problem is not to break the salary structure. It's breaking it with the wrong players. Giving much more money to Draisaitl or Reinhart as UFAs is note a problem. Giving more money to Necas as a RFA might be.
Careful, you can type out your exact position multiple times and it'll still be reduced to something easy to make fun of.

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I'd argue giving the kind of contract it's going to sign Reinhart as a UFA is a much riskier proposition than giving Necas 7.5-8M as a RFA.

But that's just me.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Giving a boatload for Reinhart would be exactly that, a bad move. You’d be giving $11m+ for a player that happened to have a career year in a contract year playing with Barkov. You know, the player that made Huberdeau look 3x better than he is. You’d be paying for a 57 goal scorer when in reality he’s a 30 goal scorer, close to the age of 30.

Necas is someone that has shown great potential, who is only 25 and has room for improvement. He’s had a 70 point season and another in which he was on pace for 63. You're not competing against other teams in signing him, you’re trading for him and going from there.

Again, find me a better option on the market in terms of age, ability, potential, cost. Or are you suggesting that we wait for Riley Kidney to break out?

Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree 100%.

Slaf is a 1st overall drafted by the organization. If he is at some point somewhat equal or better than Suzuki, you pay him more no problem. The thing his Slaf still have room to develop after his contract signing, which you have to pay for too. Necas, not so much.

And absolutely, that’s what I meant by my initial post. Necas is not the player you break your salary structure for. He is good and all but not enough.

I also agree. I'm am interested in Necas but not desperate. He's not in the same quality as players like Suzuki, Dach, Slaf, and Dach.

As a RFA, Hughes can talk to Necas's agent now to see what kind of contract he wants. If the 8 year extension is $8M, I pass. He's a strong middle 6F type (higher end of this waive) vs a sure shot top 6 forward. So my 8 year term is more like $6.5M or $7M. 5 year term around $6M. If there is agreement on the contract, then we consider the trade.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Agreed...who said otherwise? Has anyone suggested the Habs should pay Necas 10M/yr?

But the line has been drawn at paying a player market value. I'm not sure how paying what would place a guy about 80th in the league in cap hit, blowing the Habs salary structure, especially when you consider the cap is growing and that number will just continue to go lower.

It reminds me of some fans who said Nick Suzuki making 7.8M when he signed his deal completely overpaid, I argued then that in a few years it would be a bargain and that deal today is an absolute bargain.
Nah. Necas is what he is. At 25 there is much less room to improve than at 21.

That being said, salary and package for the trade to happen are complete speculation. The thing i'm almost 100 % sure though, Necas won't sign a contract with the Habs for more than what Suzuki makes.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I don’t have a link here but Martin McGuire on BPM said that Kent Hughes isn’t busy getting a contract for Slaf but rather he’s constantly on his phone these days talking to people looking for an acquisition

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Giving a boatload for Reinhart would be exactly that, a bad move. You’d be giving $11m+ for a player that happened to have a career year in a contract year playing with Barkov. You know, the player that made Huberdeau look 3x better than he is. You’d be paying for a 57 goal scorer when in reality he’s a 30 goal scorer, close to the age of 30.

Necas is someone that has shown great potential, who is only 25 and has room for improvement. He’s had a 70 point season and another in which he was on pace for 63. You're not competing against other teams in signing him, you’re trading for him and going from there.

Again, find me a better option on the market in terms of age, ability, potential, cost. Or are you suggesting that we wait for Riley Kidney to break out?
You completely missed the point i was making but ok.

If you really think we would be better with Necas over Reinhart, i will just politely say that i completely disagree with you.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

That being said, it depends how you see Necas. If he is a second liner and you pay him 9M it is true you endanger your salary cap.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I don’t have a link here but Martin McGuire on BPM said that Kent Hughes isn’t busy getting a contract for Slaf but rather he’s constantly on his phone these days talking to people looking for an acquisition
The guy as the entire summer+ to work on a deal with Slaf. He has a few weeks before the draft, which is the most important window to re-shape a team. So yeah... this tracks

Leto

Feb 16, 2023

Here you go.

• Love
Reactions: SwiftyHab

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ

I am a LAK fan and I say no.

Barron is not the player Kings need.
LA needs physical LD prospect, physical forward prospects, good goalie prospect or good draft pick.
Barron is none of those.
Kaliev is very talented scoring forward, but he did not work out in LA.
A lot of teams looking at him as buy low options for fairly cheap trade now.
In my opinion, when a lot of teams trying to do this to buy low option it will become fair trade option.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Why bother wasting time negotiating contracts when Nick Suzuki is the cap?

Jokes jokes jokes lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad