HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
That’s my point, if he has issues in Columbus, they will only be exacerbated if he goes to Montreal. Doesn’t matter what it is, he’ll be under the microscope and expect to perform and hear about it when he doesn’t. It’s not really the environment for someone that is struggling with whatever it is.

I'm not advocating for acquiring Laine but that is literally the point of the assistance program, to get better and fix whatever issue may be ailing him.

Like, if he's got a video game or drug addiction, whether he's in Montreal or Columbus doesn't particularly matter. If the idea is that anyone who has had mental health issues (even if they're past them) shouldn't be acquired because we're a big market, I personally reject that idea. Drouin isn't Laine and Laine isn't X. Everyone is different.

Reactions: Sorinth and BLONG7

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Yeah no doubt.

I like Matheson a lot, but a security blanket is not how i'd describe him. He plays a ton because the Habs for various reasons have had a lot of depth at that position, but it's not his ideal role.

I don't want to give up Matheson like a lot of folks, but for a guy like Necas, I definitely would. It does fill a void, while creating another, but I think with all of the LHDs coming, I can patch that hole quicker than I can find an established top 6 player IMO.
If they feel Hutson is ready, it will be eaiser to trade Matheson if needed.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I like Matheson a lot, but a security blanket is not how i'd describe him. He plays a ton because the Habs for various reasons have had a lot of depth at that position, but it's not his ideal role.
Well, we can call it a "suicidal blanket" to be more precise, but still, he keeps our young defencemen away from matchups they have been demonstrably not able to handle. He's also been like 70% of our transition ability under opponent's pressure.

He's by no means untouchable and should be used as a trade chip if it makes sense, but there has to be a clear replacement plan. Just like Matheson himself was a replacement for Petry. Hughes was adamant at the time that he needs a certain profile of defenceman back if he is to trade Petry.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well, we can call it a "suicidal blanket" to be more precise, but still, he keeps our young defencemen away from matchups they have been demonstrably not able to handle. He's also been like 70% of our transition ability under opponent's pressure.

He's by no means untouchable and should be used as a trade chip if it makes sense, but there has to be a clear replacement plan. Just like Matheson himself was a replacement for Petry. Hughes was adamant at the time that he needs a certain profile of defenceman back if he is to trade Petry.
Yeah I feel what you're saying and I don't want to make it seem like I don't value Matheson because I do.

But I believe that you gotta give quality to receive quality.

Reactions: Andy and Archijerej

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Gorton acquired Zibs and Trochek (both underrated at the time) through trades.. i think hugo knows what they r doing - when it comes to top 6 C
Not true, Gorton long gone when Trochek signed. Tell truth not stories

Just great... you want us to go after a 5'09" C to save a couple mill? Cmon man.
Again, he's same weight as Necas

Lundell played good game last night. Has 11 points in 16 playoff games. Could be maturing. Former high pick in draft. Habs should try trade for him this summer.

Reactions: themilosh

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Obviously not as some people are still saying no one should make more than Suzuki's salary.
No one is saying that. That is a lie that my comment was meant to be a mockery of because some posters are only trained to hit low hanging fruit. Nobody wants to trade for a good but not great piece like Necas or Zegras and pay them more than a far superior player in Suzuki. WHY?

That said, I'm sure you'd find plenty of posters happy to acquire either one as long as we've got assurance that they won't be paid more than our top player and Captain who has proven to be the superior player.

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
And we officially entered the "Habs are on everyone and everything" part of the off-season. *yawn*

My FB feed is going crazy right now with all those sponsored obscure Habs trade rumors sites spamming every name out there. If i block or snooze one two more pop up the next day . It's a never ending battle lol

Habs just generate more clicks and buzz due to the larger fanbase hence why there are always "rumors" that they are on everyone. It's a clickbait farm

Reactions: Rozz and morhilane

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I'd be willing to overpay a Zadorov on short term if necessary, or take a veteran LD on a bad contract with a year or two left. Like we only need to bridge the LD.
Zadorov is an entirely different type of defenceman.

We also don't necessarily need a LD if we trade Matheson. We only have to move Guhle back to his strong side, but we have to find a partner for him to form a credible 1st pair.

We also need someone to fill Matheson's powerplay role and transition ability from the backend. Powerplay I'm not worried about, because that's what Hutson is all about. Problem is, can he handle a regular even strenght minutes.

Reactions: Habs Icing

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
flashback of last season people putting Dubois in our lineup making us better 🤣
I feels like its worst this year, just because the media (and some fans) are pushing for the Habs to make a big splash this off-season.

What I don't get is why the majority of the proposals are for soft offense only forwards. Are anyone watching the playoffs and what HuGo has been saying???

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Necas appears to play both the left and right side of the pp, effectively taking away from either Caufield, or Slafkovsky.

Again, the people who are really pro Necas will use that as a reason to not acquire one player, but won't use it against him.

Travis Konency trumps all the suggestions so far.

However, is he actually available and can the Habs extend him, or would he just want to test the market regardless as to where he goes ?

Kent Johnson would be second, but can't see him getting shipped out.

So, I guess the debate between Zegras, Necas and Laine will continue with all 3 of them having some big question marks/concerns for the Habs.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I feels like its worst this year, just because the media (and some fans) are pushing for the Habs to make a big splash this off-season.

What I don't get is why the majority of the proposals are for soft offense only forwards. Are anyone watching the playoffs and what HuGo has been saying???
Dont worry much , we need to trade players to make places to begin with .Habs should aim for next season for a big trade.

Next season , Savard Dvorak Armia Pezetta and Evans will be out . Also 50% retention of Allen and Petry will be over.

We could also retain on Anderson and Gallagher with 2 years left after this season to make even more space.

Im not saying we wont trade this summer but the goal is still to get rid of the leftovers of Bergevin and to establish who can play in long terms or not.

Matheson is a good chip for a trade for a team whos already in playoff mode with like 1-2 years windows. We'll see. I just hope we dont get another Newhook or Barron. Nothing crazy about those 2 players.

I would rather use some mid picks to trade some veterans to make some space for players like Joshua Roy

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
It’s from Martin McGuire, who has never broken anything. I saw the link when it came out and ignored it for that reason.

What he’s saying about Hughes now is along the same lines as what Pierre LeBrun has said for years about how “(name any GM) has been working the phones.”

Yeah I know, the question was more rhetoric anyway. I just would love to know which teams he may be calling to get a sense of who his targets may be. I'm not overly thrilled with the ones discussed in this thread. Zegras, Necas, Laine.

Reactions: Kimota and Runner77

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Not true, Gorton long gone when Trochek signed. Tell truth not stories

Again, he's same weight as Necas

Lundell played good game last night. Has 11 points in 16 playoff games. Could be maturing. Former high pick in draft. Habs should try trade for him this summer.
Florida isn’t trading him at all! He’s been beyond one of their best players

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I would offer Matheson + jets 1st/Mesar + Trudeau for Necas

And roll with this next season

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Necas - Dach - Newhook

Guhle - Savard
Hutson - Xhekaj
Struble - Harris

Could even have a Hutson - Reinbacher pairing if it looks great in camp

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I'd be willing to overpay a Zadorov on short term if necessary, or take a veteran LD on a bad contract with a year or two left. Like we only need to bridge the LD.
I agree, he's solid back there

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Assuming we find the right vet dman who agrees to sign short term, why would the Canes want to do Matheson for Necas? They already got Slavin and Orlov. Not to mention they have Nikishin coming over soon too. If it's to have Matheson on the PP, he's not going to overtake Burns and they could just have Orlov there instead with Skjei likely gone.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah I know, the question was more rhetoric anyway. I just would love to know which teams he may be calling to get a sense of who his targets may be. I'm not overly thrilled with the ones discussed in this thread. Zegras, Necas, Laine.
I know you know, it was obvious that the guy was saying nothing substantive.

Fortunately, this forum has no impact on ultimate player moves so it’s all for shits and giggles. What would an off season be without them.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Assuming we find the right vet dman who agrees to sign short term, why would the Canes want to do Matheson for Necas? They already got Slavin and Orlov. Not to mention they have Nikishin coming over soon too. If it's to have Matheson on the PP, he's not going to overtake Burns and they could just have Orlov there instead with Skjei likely gone.

I don't think Carolina would do Matheson for Necas, but Slavin and Orlov are UFAs in 2025 and Carolina has a long history of not paying veterans and letting them walk to free agency. Having Slavin and Orlov wouldn't be a factor (in fact Carolina has been proactive so they avoid UFAs having too much leverage).

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't think Carolina would do Matheson for Necas, but Slavin and Orlov are UFAs in 2025 and Carolina has a long history of not paying veterans and letting them walk to free agency. Having Slavin and Orlov wouldn't be a factor (in fact Carolina has been proactive so they avoid UFAs having too much leverage).
But shouldn't the same apply to Matheson who just has one more year than them? Giving up Necas just to have Matheson in the top 4 for one year (after Slavin and Orlov are gone) makes no sense.

Reactions: Captain Mountain

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
But shouldn't the same apply to Matheson who just has one more year than them? Giving up Necas just to have Matheson in the top 4 for one year (after Slavin and Orlov are gone) makes no sense.

Yes, that is a better reason for why Carolina would not be interested than saying they have Slavin and Orlov.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Hughes is going to ask the price for anyone available out there, this help defining the market price for his own players.

But a few weeks before the 2022 draft, media-insiders were saying that Hughes was calling everyone to find another 1st round pick in the top 10 (ended up #13 and was used in the Dach trade).

In the last week, I heard/read a few of the same media-insiders saying that Hughes is trying to trade up (from Winnipeg 1st)/get another selection in the top 15.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Hughes is going to ask the price for anyone available out there, this help defining the market price for his own players.

But a few weeks before the 2022 draft, media-insiders were saying that Hughes was calling everyone to find another 1st round pick in the top 10 (ended up #13 and was used in the Dach trade).

In the last week, I heard/read a few of the same media-insiders saying that Hughes is trying to trade up (from Winnipeg 1st)/get another selection in the top 15.

I like this idea, top 12 would be even better. I'm sure the habs would love to walk out of the draft with Demidov/Lindstrom AND Sennecke/Iginla/Catton

• Love
Reactions: Habs Icing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad