HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not for or against that trade. It seems we're trading Matheson's offense for Necas's. A wash. Also, with that move, we eliminate half the veterans on defense. Is that a smart move?
It would be a risk but you’d be adding a long term asset at the cost of a valuable short term one.

I think when we sit here and imagine trade proposals, I always try to give up something I'd rather not give because you have to give quality to get quality. This idea that you can pool up a bunch of prospects/players/picks you don't super value to get a player you do value, isn't realistic.

The Jets 1st round pick + Harris + Anderson, essential what amounts to our undesired trade commodities (based on a lot of what I read here or online) isn't going to bring the kind of return we think or hope for.

So yes, it would hurt to lose Matheson, who again I value very highly, but I'd do it for Necas and figure out how to fill that void with our many LHDs and picks we have over the next few years.

Necas could be a fixture on our top 6 for the next 6-8 years, Matheson isn't projected to be.

I doubt it would be a 1 for 1, but as the framework of a deal, there's something rhere IMO.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It would be a risk but you’d be adding a long term asset at the cost of a valuable short term one.

I think when we sit here and imagine trade proposals, I always try to give up something I'd rather not give because you have to give quality to get quality. This idea that you can pool up a bunch of prospects/players/picks you don't super value to get a player you do value, isn't realistic.

The Jets 1st round pick + Harris + Anderson, essential what amounts to our undesired trade commodities (based on a lot of what I read here or online) isn't going to bring the kind of return we think or hope for.

So yes, it would hurt to lose Matheson, who again I value very highly, but I'd do it for Necas and figure out how to fill that void with our many LHDs and picks we have over the next few years.

Necas could be a fixture on our top 6 for the next 6-8 years, Matheson isn't projected to be.

I doubt it would be a 1 for 1, but as the framework of a deal, there's something rhere IMO.
Maybe not 8 years but I can see management seeing him as a fixture for 5-6 years.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Maybe not 8 years but I can see management seeing him as a fixture for 5-6 years.
Sure that's a possibility, I want to reiterate that this isn't a reflection of me not valuing Matheson.

I’m just using an organizational strength (LHD) to fill an organizational void (proven top 6 wingers).

But I totally get your apprehension with the proposed deal.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Hughes is going to ask the price for anyone available out there, this help defining the market price for his own players.

But a few weeks before the 2022 draft, media-insiders were saying that Hughes was calling everyone to find another 1st round pick in the top 10 (ended up #13 and was used in the Dach trade).

In the last week, I heard/read a few of the same media-insiders saying that Hughes is trying to trade up (from Winnipeg 1st)/get another selection in the top 15.

This I would prefer over a bidding war for Necas and Pesce, and sign short term veterans. I worry they are trying speed up the rebuild too quickly and give up on some of these young defensemen too soon.

Reactions: HABitual Fan

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
I would call Hurricanes offer them 7th round pick for Necas Kotkanimi and their future first round pick. Then turn around buyout KK.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I see many posters are in a hurry to unload Barron. That's a mistake in my view. I would give him at least half the season to show any improvement before contemplating any trade.
What's going to be the plan for him if he doesn't dominate camp? He will likely be the #7 dman but I don't see how that will give him the chance to improve. I'd also expect Mailloux and Reinbacher to overtake him sooner rather than later.

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
Question.

Would it change anything if we acquire Florida 2025 1st round pick?
Would it give us more options/control over Calgary 1st round pick in the Monahan trade?

Reactions: themilosh

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Ideally, the Armias aka Anderson, Dvorak, Pez, Kova, Evans, Gally and Savard are gone before the season starts. So they can stockpile on picks again although most of these guys are just dead weight lingering around from the BargainBin era.

Reactions: themilosh

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Question.

Would it give us more options/control over Calgary 1st round pick in the Monahan trade?
Presumably they can only trade the Cal or Fla 2025 1st to the Habs. And then the other pick would also belong to Montreal. Don't know if they could trade one of thm to another team if HuGo agrees to it.

Reactions: BozoTheClown

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Question.

The trade would likely need an agreed cancelation of the previous agreement. So, Calgary trades Florida's 1st to the Habs and the Habs get an additional pick, prospect, something to cancel getting Calgary's pick.

If Calgary trades Florida's pick without that, Montreal would likely get Calgary's 1st automatically then

Reactions: BozoTheClown

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
uhmmm: Necas (signed at $7Mx7) yes I do it... that opens up a LD spot for us to pick up a similar (but bigger) RHD puck mover in Parekh.
Hutson has a unique skill set that could potentially make him a huge difference maker on a contending team. Necas, while a decent player, does not have that potential. Trading Hutson at this point could end up being a monumental mistake.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
uhmmm: Necas (signed at $7Mx7) yes I do it... that opens up a LD spot for us to pick up a similar (but bigger) RHD puck mover in Parekh.

I strongly believe that our lack of offense and our PP problem all come from the same place, the lack of help from the blueline. I think Hutson can solve both of these issue.

But the biggest problem is Hutson's elite potential.
We don't know what we have yet and he has the potential to be like top 5 in the NHL offensively for a D, just can't trade that potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad