HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Not gonna lie, this seems more like wishful thinking/trying to convince yourself rather than it happening.

He would be a nice option, but like Zegras, Necas and I think those are the 3 main ones people want, he comes with problems in that the cost to acquire him and you now have a player who takes most of your free cap space, hasn't played a whole lot, isn't on a fixed long-twem contract.

He might take Caufield's spot, but I think he (Laine) plays the left side on the pp.

He doesn't make the team harder to play against in that he plays in your face hockey, or that he's got wheels.

The positive for Laine is if he stays healthy, you got a tremendous player. Him with Dach and Newhook, Newhook for speed and to be a menace on the forecheck and hopefully Laine and Dach get in and start to cycle well.

His shot is ridiculous. Matthews tier.

If he is available and the Habs are interested. If they can send Dvork, or Anderson back would be my choice of the 3. Get Mathieu Olivier, too for the 4th line.

You'd get two birds stoned at once.
It’s not trying to convince myself. I’m just looking at the players around the league that could be available and that fit the core’s age group, and Laine just makes a lot of sense. About as much sense as Necas or Zegras.

Hughes has been very explicit that he is targeting offensive talent. It’s just a name that fits

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
What about Filip Hronek ? Very good RD who’s playing well in Vancouver but they can’t afford him if he won’t budge from his 8M/year demand.

Then Guhle can play on his strong side.

Guhle - Hronek

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That is actually impossible.....couldn't have targeted him, the trade was all about a cap dump initiated by the Jets.
The cap dump was Mason and Armia was the main asset as compensation for taking on Mason. Not sure where you got the information that the Jets initiated by wanting to give up Armia in this specific trade, but regardless, it's still a player that MB targeted. Otherwise, there is no point in accepting that trade just to pick up a 4th and 7th rounder while wasting a contract slot on Armia if it wasn't someone he wanted.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The cap dump was Mason and Armia was the main asset as compensation for taking on Mason. Not sure where you got the information that the Jets initiated by wanting to give up Armia in this specific trade, but regardless, it's still a player that MB targeted. Otherwise, there is no point in accepting that trade just to pick up a 4th and 7th rounder while wasting a contract slot on Armia if it wasn't someone he wanted.

Well...if the move was all about that cap dump, I highly doubt Bergevin could initiated that trade.

''Allo Winnipeg, Do you have a cap dump I can take for Armia?''

Sure Bergevin might have asked for Armia but he asked for him because Winnipeg wanted to dump Mason....not like Bergevin went and spend good asset to get Armia like he did for Drouin or Petry. The mindset of the those trades are very different

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Kulak ended up returning a 2nd not long after Bergevin left. So if you think a 2nd rounder is equivalent to a Max Friberg who played two AHL seasons with us before leaving, then you obviously can which is what makes it subjective. I personally think a depth trade that ended up as a win but ultimately doesn't mean anything was getting Torrey Mitchell as a solid 4th line center for a couple of years for a 7th.

Comparing Armia and Kulak to Tokarski and Kassian is outrageously disingenuous.

If that's the case then the only bad trade you can even mention is the Sergachev one because a late 1st and some 2nds shouldn't be something that is costly according to your own criteria. That would still mean he's won more than he's lost.

Ignoring the awful comparison between Vanek who was a PPG player at the time of the trade and Andrighetto who spent half the time in the minors in the year he got traded, you can't have it both ways. Either you need to consider the rest of my list by acknowledging that getting good value for a rental, or you acknowledge that the price paid for a PPG player as a rental was a good one. I didn't even mention the Plekanec trade since I believed it to be a "whatever" trade.

Lol and you aren't? You are ignoring a lot of context to try and fit your contradictory narrative but it's not working.

So you must think every rental trade in NHL history where the player acquired didn't end up being a contributor on the Stanley Cup Winning team was a bad trade right? Or can you acknowledge that adding a PPG player for a playoff push for a disappointing prospect and a 2nd is a good price to pay for a rental when many were giving up that price for a bottom 6 rental.

I also like that Collberg was considered a 2nd rounder when his play had completely fallen off a cliff since being drafted, but of course you don't mention that for some reason.

So you'd rather keep the player with a bad contract for multiple years who could only play 40 games in two seasons due to serious injuries as opposed to a free 2nd?

Anderson didn't retire after 40 games across two seasons like Shaw. In fact, he was essentially a 20 goalscorer or 3 seasons before last year while not a single team wants Domi longterm. Anderson was highly coveted before this year. More importantly, we are strictly discussing trade value here, not contracts.
Is it disingenuous? Kassian put up an average of 27 points per 82 games with Edmonton over the next 7 years. Scrivens played 15 games and then was out of the NHL. How is that not a loss? For Tokarski, 6 years after we traded him for Friburg he was still getting NHL games, so yeah that's significantly better then Friberg who never played an NHL game for us and went back to Europe after 2 years.

Domi put up 166 points since the trade, Anderson has put up 108, and nobody wants Anderson long term either, hell we would've been better off keeping Galchenyuk who put up basically the same ppg and is at least wouldn't be dead weight on our cap like Anderson is.

For rentals like Vanek my expectation is that they don't spend most of the playoffs on the 4th line and get healthy scratched. But really the point is to show how your being being disengenous with the value of a 2nd, when we trade 2nd round picks for Vanek it's considered low value, when we trade players like Gorges who spends another 4 years most of the time as a top-4 D then suddenly 2nd rounders are super valuable. It's hypocritical.

Look I'm not saying your #4-10 examples should go into the bad trade category, for me they are at best ties/nothing trades. All I'm saying if you are included those types of trades in the good category then there will be a lot in the bad trade category too.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well...if the move was all about that cap dump, I highly doubt Bergevin could initiated that trade.

''Allo Winnipeg, Do you have a cap dump I can take for Armia?''
And how do you know that MB didn't ask for Armia if Winnipeg said they want to unload Mason and would give up an asset? Maybe he let MB pick from a handful of assets and Armia was one of them that MB targeted, maybe they said they'd only do it if it was Armia to which it would still be a player worthwhile targeting because otherwise there's no point in accepting this.
Sure Bergevin might have asked for Armia but he asked for him because Winnipeg wanted to dump Mason....not like Bergevin went and spend good asset to get Armia like he did for Drouin or Petry. The mindset of the those trades are very different
I don't agree with this argument whatsoever. If you trade to acquire a player/prospect it's because you believe they will be a worthwhile addition to your team. You don't need to spend 1sts+high end prospects to acquire a player you want. It can be done with the use of selling an older player (like the Weise for Danault trade) or by using cap space (like the Armia trade or the Monahan trade with Hughes). It shouldn't matter who reached out and what the conversation was. If a general manager doesn't want a player, he won't make the trade if he's not being compensated for it. There's really nothing else to say about it.

Again, as it's been my main point, MB never had any idea/vision when it comes to trades and team building. It was strictly about not losing value.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A guy like Jeannot is someone you add AFTER having core pieces in place.

Trading for a fourth liner shouldn't be the priority.
Yeah meanwhile your current stars you know the ones you are trying to build with are getting constantly harassed by assholes.
You better your team any way you can when you can. It's foolish to think it works any other way.
If the moves Hughes can make this off season shore up our pathetic bottom six I'm all in.
They probably won't find what they are looking for in a top 6 player and will have to patch until the right deal comes along.
So would you advocate doing nothing?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Good news for Montreal
he's been great but also surrounded by trees.
none of the final four have more than 2 maybe 3 guys under 6 feet.

add marchessault and habs already have RHP, Gallagher, newhook, hutson, caufield, suzuki...
not sustainable imo

Yeah meanwhile your current stars you know the ones you are trying to build with are getting constantly harassed by assholes.
You better your team any way you can when you can. It's foolish to think it works any other way.
If the moves Hughes can make this off season shore up our pathetic bottom six I'm all in.
They probably won't find what they are looking for in a top 6 player and will have to patch until the right deal comes along.
i agree, i think if Jeannot is available you trade a couple of mid picks for him. He's better than pezzetta and spells Arber from all the heavy lifting. And as you mentioned, he protects many of the young guys on the team

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
To be fair, in the Bergevin's era when they kept saying the Bergevin is working the phones, it meant he was trying to understand how his phone was working
He got them to finals though. While trading away no future. Hard to do. Losing Price and Weber destroyed team. Price arguably greatest goalie ever.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
The current stars are going to be harassed anyway because Jeannot won't play on their line. It's more appropriated to play the Sheriff with the line here and there

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Let him leave with Bobrov, they haven't accomplished anything serious enough for us to be beggars.

I like what am I seeing of him so far. It's great for Hughes to have a good mentor as well. Two brains is always better than one.

Not to mention we don't want to have another Julien Brisebois situation. THE stupidiest move Gainey has ever made outside of trading McDonaugh.

I want Lindstrom and Brady Tkachuk.

Then I want the cup.

I like how this guy thinks! Big and skilled is the way to go.

Reactions: Benstheman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad