HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't watch Laine game in and game out to see if he's truly trending downward. Because when you look at his stats since he's been with Columbus, he's been produtcive.

2021-22: 26 goals and 56 pts in 56 GP. He was PPG player and was on pace for a 38-goal, 82-point season prorated to 82 games.
2022-23: 22 goals and 52 pts in 55 GP. Just under a PPG and on pace for a 33-goal, 76-point season.

I think his main issue lately has been remaining healthy. He's missed time to injury (the Habs definitely don't need more of that) and last year he also entered the player assistance program. But before all that, he had 6 goals and 9 pts in 18 GP.
Just don't look to him to do any heavy lifting coming back the other way which has been a knock in the past.
There is no reason he can't be more assertive defensively with his skating and his frame.
I think our management would have to be a 100% sure he's has a handle on all of his demons.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Bergevin had two main flaws as a DG:
1- got too attached (or not at all - i.e Markov) to his player and couldn't negotiate a contract. That put the team in very bad position more then once.

2- When making a trade, he had to win it. Beside the Drouin/Dvorak ones, he rarely made a bad trade. When he couldn't win a significant trade, he would do garbage bin dive.... Which never really help.
Agreed but bolded wasn’t binary - MBs pre-UFA contracts were hometown discounts (MaxPac, Price, Gallagher, even present Suzuki deal)

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
he's been great but also surrounded by trees.
none of the final four have more than 2 maybe 3 guys under 6 feet.

add marchessault and habs already have RHP, Gallagher, newhook, hutson, caufield, suzuki...
not sustainable imo
Yeah ! when you have the greats RHP, Gallagher and even Newhook on the team, you don't need to get that smallish Marchessault guy

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The current stars are going to be harassed anyway because Jeannot won't play on their line. It's more appropriated to play the Sheriff with the line here and there
The role we really need to upgrade on is actually Josh Anderson's. He isn't bringing what we initially thought we were paying for.
In the meantime having a Jeannot type can still work as a strong dissuader.
When Popsical was harassing Suzuki in Calgary I make sure Jeannot is lined up against him the next shift.
Messages can still be sent and received about what is and isn't acceptable.

Last edited:

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Is there a moderator around here ? If yes, can you ban the ones talking of Bergevin in this tread for just a little 4-6 months please ? it would be appreciated .

Thank you

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Is it disingenuous?
Claiming that adding Kulak (who netted us a 2nd round pick) for nothing is comparable in value to the difference between Friberg and Tokarski is outrageously disingenuous to the point where it's a waste of my time having this discussion with you. Getting a second rounder for free is significantly different than losing an AHL trade. If your standards are only top 4 dmen/top 6 forwards, then like I said, it would be 3 good trades (that you admitted to) vs 1 bad one which is still doing more good than bad. Case closed.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
The role we really need to upgrade on is actuay Josh Anderson's. He isn't bringing what we initially thought we were paying for.
In the meantime having a Jeannot type can still work as a strong dissuader.
When Popsical was harrassing Suzuki in Calgary I make sure Jeannot is lined up against him the next shift.
Messages can still be sent and received about what is and isn't acceptable.
maybe you are right , but i doubt it ; we have seen soo many stars being injured even when there was a goon with team.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
He got them to finals though. While trading away no future. Hard to do. Losing Price and Weber destroyed team. Price arguably greatest goalie ever.
You forget he missed the playoff that year ? And team was let in just for viewership due to a pandamic

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I wouldn't be surprised if Laine ends up on the club.

He fits the age group. Has taken his health seriously by getting help. Has a goal scoring history. He may come at a good price.

I've been looking at forwards 26 and under who could fill the offensive hole on the habs and Laine is one the very few who is fits the bill and is available.
I don't see why Columbus would be motivated to trade away Laine for pennies on the dollar, and I don't see the Habs paying a high price for him due to all the time he's missed the past four years. The Blue Jackets are rebuilding, and don't need the cap space or roster spot next season. He doesn't appear to be a problem in the locker room, either. They are better off holding onto him and see if he can rebound.

Reactions: Rapala

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Yeah ! when you have the greats RHP, Gallagher and even Newhook on the team, you don't need to get that smallish Marchessault guy
I smell the sarcasm, but this isn't an opinion, It's fact. NHL teams don't get very far in the playoffs with 7 guys that small.
Call your buddy Hughes and have him trade a few of them and then you can sign Marchessault.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
I like what am I seeing of him so far. It's great for Hughes to have a good mentor as well. Two brains is always better than one.

Not to mention we don't want to have another Julien Brisebois situation. THE stupidiest move Gainey has ever made outside of trading McDonaugh.

I like how this guy thinks! Big and skilled is the way to go.
I thought I read an article where JBB had decided he wanted a change. It wasn't Gainey letting him go or forcing him out, BriseBois decided he wanted to see what else was out there and grow as an executive in another org.

Reactions: Vachon23

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I thought I read an article where JBB had decided he wanted a change. It wasn't Gainey letting him go or forcing him out, BriseBois decided he wanted to see what else was out there and grow as an executive in another org.

Well if the Habs had given him the same job than he did in Tampa.....

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
I know it’s more of a Laval thing but some decent vets for Laval could do wonders for some of our prospects development. Would like to see a top 6 winger as well but we that will be difficult to find. As some suggest we could go after a vet as a stop gap.

Id rather go after an Expiring contract we could flip or a reclaim project. I’m expecting the top six to be

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Roy

If we do nothing at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad