HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What about a UFA Tarasenko? On a 2 or 3 year

Rather sign Toffoli as the bridge to whoever we draft.

Paraphrasing but he says "The Habs are one of the teams who asked about Necas and what's going on with him"

If we are in on Necas (I would not be), I hope it's a cost we can afford (like Newhook). Maybe Barron and Jets 1st. That's it. Any higher cost, I pass. I don't think Necas turns the needle for us. Will help a bit.

I rather use our draft power and prospects we can spare to get more quality picks in this draft. If we are after a top 6F, sign Toffoli for 3 years.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
The current stars are going to be harassed anyway because Jeannot won't play on their line. It's more appropriated to play the Sheriff with the line here and there
In a hockey world it’s fine if it evens out (harass their stars back).

So many 1-goal games last year, but in 3-4 goal blowouts you’re supposed to start “passing messages”. Neither the one-no-armed Sheriff nor his friend Light-weight Curly-wannabe-goon are protecting anyone or making the habs annoying or scary play against.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hope they are (trying to be competitive - succeed or not).

Their plan to be competitive is like this IMO:

1) Dach healthy

2) More growth from Guhle, Slaf, Newhook, Xhekaj, Roy, Mailloux, Struble, Barron

3) Rebound season from Anderson. More stable play from Matheson, Savard, Dvorak.

4) Stable goaltending with Monty and Primeau. Primeau took huge steps forward last year

5) Possible addition of a top 6F.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Is that actually said, or did 360 just infer that from something that has a fringe connection?

My verbal French f***ing sucks and that... account likes to take things out of context, or think less than reputable sources are legit
Lebrun saying “my information = peeps are calling including the habs”

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Their plan to be competitive is like this IMO:

1) Dach healthy

2) More growth from Guhle, Slaf, Newhook, Xhekaj, Roy, Mailloux, Struble, Barron

3) Rebound season from Anderson. More stable play from Matheson, Savard, Dvorak.

4) Stable goaltending with Monty and Primeau. Primeau took huge steps forward last year

5) Possible addition of a top 6F.
Yeah… I’m hoping for a top rw somehow, Caufield on the 2nd for 2x real good lines instead of hoping Roy is the guy + A killer pp with Hutson on qb. Push guys like Anderson and Gallagher slowly to the 4th line despite the salary.

Newhook (L) Dach Caufield (R) with Slaf + Suzuki probably dominating some shifts.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah… I’m hoping for a top rw somehow, Caufield on the 2nd for 2x real good lines instead of hoping Roy is the guy + A killer pp with Hutson on qb. Push guys like Anderson and Gallagher slowly to the 4th line despite the salary.

Newhook (L) Dach Caufield (R) with Slaf + Suzuki probably dominating some shifts.

I think we will have two top lines and two bottom lines. There won't be a 1, 2, 3, 4.

The bottom two lines can be two 3rd line qualities and the top 2 lines are two 2nd line qualities but maybe more if there is more growth/development. I got no problem having Gallagher, Anderson, Armia, Dvorak on the bottom 2 lines. Probably 3 of them on one line.

Ideally, we move Newhook to the 3rd line with Evans on his wing (if the plan is to have Newhook play center). Evans can be there for the 2 way responsible game and help on faceoffs. That leaves a top 6 hole that Anderson should have if he showed up every game. Personally, I would sign Toffoli if we can't find another Dach/Newhook trade that works. Boring type move but Toffoli helps this top 6 and he is familiar with this core. I'm sure Toffoli and his g/f would like a 3 year stay in Montreal and probably traded again in the 3rd year (TDL) haha.

I like Slaf with Dach this time. I want to see what Slaf can do without Suzuki. Good timing with his last ELC to come.

2A: Caufield / Suzuki / ????
2B: Roy / Dach / Slaf
3A: Newhook / Evans / Anderson
3B: Armia / Dvorak / Gallagher
Depth:
RHP, Pezzetta, Ylonen, Heineman

????:
* Toffoli don't cost assets
* Zegras would be nice if we can acquire with quantity package
* Necas is meh to me. Great skater and hard worker though. Too bad Anderson doesn't show up each shift like Necas does. Necas is another Newhook add (middle 6F). I would prefer another Dach add but if that is not possible, just sign Toffoli.

2A: Matheson / Guhle
2B: ???? / Savard
3: Xhekaj / Mailloux
Depth:
Barron, Struble, Harris, Kova

????:
* Hutson is the ideal guy and maybe we try this. I hope he is ready defensively and having him with Savard is the best we can provide for physical vet support.
* Harris had this spot before and I don't think this helps us improve. I can see Harris being traded this summer. He is a stable D but should be on the bottom pairing.
* Struble is an option but I think he is who he is at this point. Showed maturity quickly but not sure how much more improvement he has. He's a bottom pairing quality and I have that spot for Xhekaj and Mailloux. I would have Struble in the AHL this season.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Lebrun saying “my information = peeps are calling including the habs”

Of course they are - though Carolina has an unreasonable ask right now, to which our only real offering that makes sense is Matheson, though maybe they think Anderson would be a massive fit in their system and it can be supplemented with picks and Jayden Struble, for example.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Claiming that adding Kulak (who netted us a 2nd round pick) for nothing is comparable in value to the difference between Friberg and Tokarski is outrageously disingenuous to the point where it's a waste of my time having this discussion with you. Getting a second rounder for free is significantly different than losing an AHL trade. If your standards are only top 4 dmen/top 6 forwards, then like I said, it would be 3 good trades (that you admitted to) vs 1 bad one which is still doing more good than bad. Case closed.
Sure getting a 2nd round pick for nothing is good in the sense that the 2nd round pick might be a good player, but most of the time a 2nd round pick provides nothing. And the problem is you're flip flopping on their worth depending to make some trades look good and others look bad. So the Vanek trade is good because 2nd round picks aren't worth anything, but then the Shaw, Gorges, Scandella trades are great because hey 2nd round picks are super valuable. It's hypocritical.

Reactions: ReHabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you agreed on a trade for Necas, what contract expectations do you have? I've seen his agent start talking about 8 year term at $8M+. Probably has something to do with the $92M+ cap that is coming after next season.

Would you like it even if it was 5x $6.5M? I believe he has 1 RFA year left and you got to both send assets to acquire and sign him to a contract you might not like.

Looks like a middle 6F to me. Not a legit top 6F. 0.67 pts/game in his career so far and 0.71 over the last 4 seasons. I think he is a 50-65 pts type player (depending on team fit) who has good skating and works hard every shift.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Sure getting a 2nd round pick for nothing is good in the sense that the 2nd round pick might be a good player, but most of the time a 2nd round pick provides nothing. And the problem is you're flip flopping on their worth depending to make some trades look good and others look bad. So the Vanek trade is good because 2nd round picks aren't worth anything, but then the Shaw, Gorges, Scandella trades are great because hey 2nd round picks are super valuable. It's hypocritical.

No its not. Trades are context dependent. Especially deadline trades.

The Vanek trade was good because Montreal were buyers, they got an offensive piece they needed for relatively cheap and they made the conference finals. The Scandella trade was great because they were sellers and literally got a second for renting Scandella for a month and a half and retaining on an expiring contract.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Their team is finished if they can't free up a chunk of space to re-sign half their players. They have no leverage here.
They may be squeezed, but I would think they would prioritize resigning him over others, including at the cost of trading other assets.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
If you agreed on a trade for Necas, what contract expectations do you have? I've seen his agent start talking about 8 year term at $8M+. Probably has something to do with the $92M+ cap that is coming after next season.

Would you like it even if it was 5x $6.5M? I believe he has 1 RFA year left and you got to both send assets to acquire and sign him to a contract you might not like.

Looks like a middle 6F to me. Not a legit top 6F. 0.67 pts/game in his career so far and 0.71 over the last 4 seasons. I think he is a 50-65 pts type player (depending on team fit) who has good skating and works hard every shift.

To me Necas is a 2nd line player with talent, but not game breaking skills. If MTL is to trade valuable assets for a young player, I prefer they aim at a more skill guy. So unless he cheap in a trade and willing to sign below Suzuki's cap hit, its a no.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Necas’ father would like to have a word with you.
I know this is a joke, but the fact that this is a running gag is indicative of the fact that Nacas come with some personal baggage. after the Galchenyuk fiasco... I would prefer we stay away from that drama too

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
To me Necas is a 2nd line player with talent, but not game breaking skills. If MTL is to trade valuable assets for a young player, I prefer they aim at a more skill guy. So unless he cheap in a trade and willing to sign below Suzuki's cap hit, its a no.

Who do you think would actually come available that would fit the bill better than Necas?

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know this is a joke, but the fact that this is a running gag is indicative of the fact that Nacas come with some personal baggage. after the Galchenyuk fiasco... I would prefer we stay away from that drama too
It could or it could not have an impact on the ultimate decision to acquire him.

The kid has an agent, a meddling dad is not helping, especially making untenable demands like he has.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No its not. Trades are context dependent. Especially deadline trades.

The Vanek trade was good because Montreal were buyers, they got an offensive piece they needed for relatively cheap and they made the conference finals. The Scandella trade was great because they were sellers and literally got a second for renting Scandella for a month and a half and retaining on an expiring contract.
I mean if we want to add context then a lot of Bergevin's trades will end up losers because he lacked any vision so his trades that were ok in a vacuum were really bad. As an example Beaulieu for a 3rd, not terrible in a vacuum, but in context that trade was because they felt they would lose him to the expansion draft, and then we lost Emelin instead, didn't re-sign Markov, and ended up with Jordie Benn as the only NHL LD and being forced to rush Mete, and sign Alzner and Streit and trade for Schlemko.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Watching playoffs makes me think that Caufield is not going to cut it. He was also not all that impressive (from what I read) at the world championship. And despite MSL's claims that he has become a "more complete" player, his last season he wasn't all that amazing either. So...

Would it be far fetched to try trade CC and another piece for a moar bigger playoffs built top 6 forward?

Then Habs can sign Marner to get the TO da playoffs. :naughty:

Reactions: Kimota
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad