HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Of course they are - though Carolina has an unreasonable ask right now, to which our only real offering that makes sense is Matheson, though maybe they think Anderson would be a massive fit in their system and it can be supplemented with picks and Jayden Struble, for example.
I remember reading the Hurricanes inquired about Anderson at some point. Not sure what they are ready to offer and after last season...good luck.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Is that actually said, or did 360 just infer that from something that has a fringe connection?

My verbal French f***ing sucks and that... account likes to take things out of context, or think less than reputable sources are legit
There's really nothing to this report, that's actually originally a Pierre Lebrun report.

Obviously, Necas is a RFA who is looking for a big contract, the Canes have other RFAs and pending UFAs to consider.

You don't need to be an insider to know that teams are going to call the Hurricanes about Necas.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Who do you think would actually come available that would fit the bill better than Necas?
I don't think that right now there is a name that make sense to go after and trade significant assets for (5OV, 2x 1e, Mailloux, etc) - at least that we know is publicly out there.

Laine, Zegras and Necas are all flawed options. Dach and Newhook where very much unproven too, but they all cost significantly less then the expected cost of acquisition of any of the other 3. KH M.O (late 1st+) isn't gona be enough here. If it is, then, yeah, ok. go for it, but I'm sure that there are several other teams out there willing to pay more for Zegras or Necas.

So i'm incline to say, either KH find another hidden gem at the cost of Win1st + LD depth or we keep our assets to move on a "better" option at a later time.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Their plan to be competitive is like this IMO:

1) Dach healthy

2) More growth from Guhle, Slaf, Newhook, Xhekaj, Roy, Mailloux, Struble, Barron

3) Rebound season from Anderson. More stable play from Matheson, Savard, Dvorak.

4) Stable goaltending with Monty and Primeau. Primeau took huge steps forward last year

5) Possible addition of a top 6F.
You have basically nailed it here...............
We do all, need to pray to the hockey gods, to keep us healthy this year.

Can anyone remember how many one goal games we had last year? I know we won many, but we lost many more, and the above happening turns that bus, somewhat upside down......it can happen.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
It could or it could not have an impact on the ultimate decision to acquire him.

The kid has an agent, a meddling dad is not helping, especially making untenable demands like he has.
Problem to me is that if the father share those expectations, you can be pretty confident that these are also the players expectations. the Q is can MTL offer them and what if he's not meeting them? never good.

Reactions: Runner77

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Watching playoffs makes me think that Caufield is not going to cut it. He was also not all that impressive (from what I read) at the world championship. And despite MSL's claims that he has become a "more complete" player, his last season he wasn't all that amazing either. So...

Would it be far fetched to try trade CC and another piece for a moar bigger playoffs built top 6 forward?

Then Habs can sign Marner to get the TO da playoffs. :naughty:
He had 12 pts in 20 playoff games during a Cup run, as a 20-21 yr old.................no worries there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You have basically nailed it here...............
We do all, need to pray to the hockey gods, to keep us healthy this year.

Can anyone remember how many one goal games we had last year? I know we won many, but we lost many more, and the above happening turns that bus, somewhat upside down......it can happen.

Yup, even though we finished 5th last, the team was much better than the previous season. We didn't get blown out as much and we had lots of 1 goal games. You can tell the team was deflated when Dach went down for the season very early. But they ended up battling and were in many games.

Team is very young and are the injuries tied to that? Not sure. Hopefully the trend of staying more healthy as they mature continues.

I do think we move up but probably get a pick from 10-15. More transition years to come. This roster is very young and probably gets younger with vets expiring and more youth coming.

Reactions: BLONG7

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What's the story with Necas dad?

I know he was recently interviewed and in that interview, he revealed what his son's wishes were...how exactly is that evidence that he's a meddling father?

Is there something else? Because prior to that story, I never heard a single thing about Martin Necas' father.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Well they're not going to walk away from him.

They'll do like every team does when it's time to re-sign a key player.

Figure it out.

I'm pretty sure the Canes would make a litany of moves before giving him up. He's one of the most valuable players on their roster.

At the end of the day they need to look at the whole picture. It may end up making more sense to trade Jarvis and keep Necas if trading Jarvis allows them to dump cap at the same time. They are in a terrible situation. I don't think trading Necas gets them out of the hole they're in and they may end up with a weaker overall team if they can't find a way to keep their big-name UFAs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To me Necas is a 2nd line player with talent, but not game breaking skills. If MTL is to trade valuable assets for a young player, I prefer they aim at a more skill guy. So unless he cheap in a trade and willing to sign below Suzuki's cap hit, its a no.

I would say Necas is a middle 6F type but at the high end of it. Similar to Newhook. Call me different but I don't have a definitive top 6 vs bottom 6 line. I find there are tons of players who are 2nd/3rd line types. NHL is no longer a top 6 heavy strategy. Teams want to have 3 good lines.

Barron and Jets 1st might work (low end offer yes). There won't be a 1/1 trade where the Canes add someone with salary. They are looking to resign Guentzle and Pesce and several other RFA's to sign.

What scares me the most is what Necas's agent pushes for after you trade for him. I am hearing talk that he is looking for Suzuki numbers.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
At the end of the day they need to look at the whole picture. It may end up making more sense to trade Jarvis and keep Necas if trading Jarvis allows them to dump cap at the same time. They are in a terrible situation. I don't think trading Necas gets them out of the hole they're in and they may end up with a weaker overall team if they can't find a way to keep their big-name UFAs.
I don't agree they're in a terrible situation because whatever they do, they're going to end up trading a very valuable player for an important return.

Unless of course they completely shit the bed on the return…but this has been the reality in the NHL for a long time now.

With success, comes a price…you identify who you consider core players and you move out the ones who you can't afford to be part of that core.

The best teams manage this part of it effectively (see Tampa Bay).

Reactions: Andy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm pretty sure the Canes would make a litany of moves before giving him up. He's one of the most valuable players on their roster.

67% usage for offensive zone starts. Hits and Blocks are low. Giveaways and Takeaways are OK. He's not really strong in his own zone. Great skater with good edge work and a good shot. Shows up every shift and has solid size/weight.

Canes are a deep team and well coached. Necas has put up good numbers but those numbers come from being within a good core. He's still a good player but I'd be careful with thinking he is as good as Suzuki because his agent is going to push for that. Canes are also going to push for that trade value.

This is different than Dach and Newhook. Necas is trending as best as he can at an older age right before or during his prime. He's just completed his bridge where we got Dach and Newhook before their bridge.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Watching playoffs makes me think that Caufield is not going to cut it. He was also not all that impressive (from what I read) at the world championship. And despite MSL's claims that he has become a "more complete" player, his last season he wasn't all that amazing either. So...

Would it be far fetched to try trade CC and another piece for a moar bigger playoffs built top 6 forward?

While I don't agree with you, I do think your POV has some merit. I still want Caufield on our team, but maybe he would be better suited on a 2nd like with Dach.

Necas-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Iginla-Dach-Caufield
Roy-Newhook-____

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Necas’ father would like to have a word with you.

:sarcasm:

giphy.gif

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I would say Necas is a middle 6F type but at the high end of it. Similar to Newhook. Call me different but I don't have a definitive top 6 vs bottom 6 line. I find there are tons of players who are 2nd/3rd line types. NHL is no longer a top 6 heavy strategy. Teams want to have 3 good lines.

Barron and Jets 1st might work (low end offer yes). There won't be a 1/1 trade where the Canes add someone with salary. They are looking to resign Guentzle and Pesce and several other RFA's to sign.

What scares me the most is what Necas's agent pushes for after you trade for him. I am hearing talk that he is looking for Suzuki numbers.
For Necas, I think the problem is not what is the minimum Carolina is willing to take, but rather what other teams are willing to offer and the ensuing bidding war. I dont think 1stWin+ is gona cut here here and I dont want MTL to get into a bidding was for that guy... he's not THAT special to warrant that type of investment.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
While I don't agree with you, I do think your POV has some merit. I still want Caufield on our team, but maybe he would be better suited on a 2nd like with Dach.

Necas-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Iginla-Dach-Caufield
Roy-Newhook-____

Move Newhook to RW and insert Dubois after the Kings buy him out :scared: . Humor boys and girls. Insert Beck or Kapanen.

I agree Caufield is staying. Yeah, he will not handle the rough stuff well but he did pretty good on our cup run when the other parts of our roster were not so soft/young.

Newhook to me is a winger who can play center (good insurance). I'd follow Sakic's lead on this one.

For Necas, I think the problem is not what is the minimum Carolina is willing to take, but rather what other teams are willing to offer and the ensuing bidding war. I dont think 1stWin+ is gona cut here here and I dont want MTL to get into a bidding was for that guy... he's not THAT special to warrant that type of investment.

I'm not desperate for Necas. I'd offer Barron and Jets 1st with maybe an add like Struble. Two young D's who could help their depth chart. Highest I would go. If another team beats it, I let them.

Necas's next contract scares me more than the trade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Did you not watch Caufield on our cup run? I think the secrete here is to surround him with better talent and guys with size/skating/skill. Dach, Slaf, Suzuki, and Roy are a good start but we got to wait for Dach, Slaf, and Roy to touch their prime. Then add Iggy :naughty:

Typical Habs fans... pump up Caufield as a 40+ goal guy and might be worth $9M but then he has a meh season and he is no longer part of our plans. Remember when Domi was voted as more valuable than Price? There is just two opposite ends of how we overlook things due to the short sight. I don't think we can see the forest for the tress sometimes because we are stuck in a tree.

The good news is we don't run the team, Gorton/Hughes/MSL does.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I mean if we want to add context then a lot of Bergevin's trades will end up losers because he lacked any vision so his trades that were ok in a vacuum were really bad. As an example Beaulieu for a 3rd, not terrible in a vacuum, but in context that trade was because they felt they would lose him to the expansion draft, and then we lost Emelin instead, didn't re-sign Markov, and ended up with Jordie Benn as the only NHL LD and being forced to rush Mete, and sign Alzner and Streit and trade for Schlemko.

I'd actually disagree, because those aren't necessarily correlated and need to be looked at differently. A trade can be good or bad in a vacuum, but should ideally be in the service of a greater goal.

Lets assume that Montreal traded Beaulieu as because they felt they would lose him to the expansion draft (and not because they lost faith in him), the only way it could be deemed a lose trade in your argument is that Emelin being claimed and Markov not being re-signed were a consequence of that trade.

Again, often times Bergevin's trades weren't the problem, it was that there wasn't a clear plan. That Bergevin didn't have a plan to address his LD did not mean the Beaulieu trade was bad. Lets be real here, even if Beaulieu and Emelin were around, Montreal still would have had an awful LD group. And Bergevin wasn't forced to sign Alzner either, that was his decision.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'd actually disagree, because those aren't necessarily correlated and need to be looked at differently. A trade can be good or bad in a vacuum, but should ideally be in the service of a greater goal.

Lets assume that Montreal traded Beaulieu as because they felt they would lose him to the expansion draft (and not because they lost faith in him), the only way it could be deemed a lose trade in your argument is that Emelin being claimed and Markov not being re-signed were a consequence of that trade.

Again, often times Bergevin's trades weren't the problem, it was that there wasn't a clear plan. That Bergevin didn't have a plan to address his LD did not mean the Beaulieu trade was bad. Lets be real here, even if Beaulieu and Emelin were around, Montreal still would have had an awful LD group. And Bergevin wasn't forced to sign Alzner either, that was his decision.
That's exactly my point, if we are taking account the context of the trade that means taking into account whether they are in the service of a greater goal which almost everyone agrees was often not the case with Bergevin.

But it's hypocritical to take into account the context when it suits Bergevin but then ignore it when it doesn't. Because in a vacuum trading a top-4 D for a 2nd round pick is more often then not going to be loss value wise. With context sure it can be the right thing to do, but if we are taking into account context then we have to do it for all the trades, the context for the Beaulieu we had basically no LD at the time and had to rush prospects and make bad UFA signings to try and fix the whole trading him created.. Or the context of the Cole for Ryder and Briere for PAP trades which is neutral-ish to good in a vacuum is that we would've been a real contender had we gotten the top-6 forward that Bergevin thought those guys would be for us, instead Cole actually outproduced what those 3 combined provided us. If Vanek was a good trade because the context was we were a contending team, then those trades were bad because the context was we were a contending team.

Reactions: ReHabs

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I don't agree they're in a terrible situation because whatever they do, they're going to end up trading a very valuable player for an important return.

Unless of course they completely shit the bed on the return…but this has been the reality in the NHL for a long time now.

With success, comes a price…you identify who you consider core players and you move out the ones who you can't afford to be part of that core.

The best teams manage this part of it effectively (see Tampa Bay).
It isn't just about getting a good return, they will need to clear cap space too. The way I see it, part of the return on a Necas/Jarvis trade is going to be taking some cap back so they can sign Guentzel/Teravainen/Pesce/Skjej. Those are some really big pieces and all UFA. Imagine someone agrees to take back Kotkaniemi with no retention in a Jarvis trade where you also get a good return. I highly doubt someone takes KK in a Necas trade. That would solve a lot of their problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad