HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I wouldn't be surprised if Laine ends up on the club.

He fits the age group. Has taken his health seriously by getting help. Has a goal scoring history. He may come at a good price.

I've been looking at forwards 26 and under who could fill the offensive hole on the habs and Laine is one the very few who is fits the bill and is available.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
If somehow we can dump Anderson somewhere, i would take a run at Jeannot. Yes he is a inferior player to Anderson, but at least he would help Xhekaj in the toughness departement a whole lot more than Anderson.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
If somehow we can dump Anderson somewhere, i would take a run at Jeannot. Yes he is a inferior player to Anderson, but at least he would help Xhekaj in the toughness departement a whole lot more than Anderson.
It's hard to be inferior to Anderson. 20pts in 78gp, -18... with all that TOI...

Reactions: the

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Bergevin might not have lost many trades but he also didn't win many trades either. His record is probably something like he won 5% of his trades, lost 5% of his trades and the other 90% were ties or completely meaningless depth moves.

Bergevin's #1 issue was his idea of what the job of management was supposed to be was stuck in 60s.
He's definitely won a lot more than he lost, although it doesn't really mean anything since there was no vision behind any of his moves.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Flyers are loaded with good young forwards. Lot of drama there between the youngsters and John Tortorella. During the last game of the season when they absolutely needed a win, he benched some of them them in order to play the grinders. They lost in a tight game.

Apparently Tort has a big say over there, Flyers fan even saying he has more power in the organization than GM Danny Briere.

I could see HuGo getting one of their young players ala Dach/Newhook. Now which one?

Foerster, Tippett, Frost, Farabee, Brink...

Foerster probably not available from Phily and Brink might not fit the roster construction given how small he is.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Care to list 10 trades he "won"?
1) 2nd+4th for Jeff Petry
2) Dale Weise+Thomas Fleischmann for Danault+2nd(turned into Romanov)
3) Max Pacioretty for Nick Suzuki, Tomas Tatar, and a 2nd
4) Andrew Shaw+7th for a 2nd+3rd
5) 3rd+7th for Jake Allen+7th
6) Scandella for a 2nd+4th after he traded a 4th for Scandella just months before
7) Valiev+Taormina for Kulak
8) Bourque for Armia+Manson+4th+7th
9) Collberg+2nd for Vanek+5h
10) Josh Georges for a 2nd

For the ones that he's lost:
1) 2 2nds for Shaw
2) Sergachev for Drouin
3) 1st+2nd for Dvorak

Of course, there are other ones like a 4th for Dwight King, but I think that could be considered as a meaningless depth move that you mentioned even though what is considered a meaningful move is fairly subjective.

The issue again lies with no vision. For instance, we waited until we lost all value for the prospects we drafted before trading them instead of using them to add meaningful help. He was scared of it to come back to bite him in the ass, he was more concerned about not losing value in a trade than trying to build a team.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
6) Scandella for a 2nd+4th after he traded a 4th for Scandella just months before

1) 2 2nds for Shaw
2) Sergachev for Drouin
3) 1st+2nd for Dvorak

Of course, there are other ones like a 4th for Dwight King, but I think that could be considered as a meaningless depth move that you mentioned even though what is considered a meaningful move is fairly subjective.

The issue again lies with no vision. For instance, we waited until we lost all value for the prospects we drafted before trading them instead of using them to add meaningful help. He was scared of it to come back to bite him in the ass, he was more concerned about not losing value in a trade than trying to build a team.

Ah the trades Bergevin won and lost......now divided those trades between those with a player Bergevin was trying to get rid of (Like the Weise or Pacioretty trades) and the trades he made targeting precise player and then you'll have the value of his trades ability.

You see, the 3 you put in the lost category was 3 trades he was going for something and not trying to get rid of players.......but he was allright getting rid of players and taking the best offer available to him.

• Haha
Reactions: ZUKI

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Ah the trades Bergevin won and lost......now divided those trades between those with a players Bergevin was trying to get rid of (Like the Weise or Pacioretty trades) and the trades he made targeting precise player and then you'll have the value of his trades ability.
I made it very clear that there was no vision behind most of his moves. It's the last part of my post and I also mentioned it before that. There is no defending MB, the guy sucks, but he did in fact win more trades than he's lost which means nothing when it comes to team building.
You see, the 3 you put in the lost category was 3 trades he was going for something and not trying to get rid of players.......but he was allright getting rid of players and taking the best offer available to him.
I mean trading for Petry and extending him was proof that he was trying to add him. Same for Allen. And Armia.

Make no mistake, I'm not defending that clown.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I made it very clear that there was no vision behind most of his moves. It's the last part of my post and I also mentioned it before that. There is no defending MB, the guy sucks, but he did in fact win more trades than he's lost which means nothing when it comes to team building.

I mean trading for Petry and extending him was proof that he was trying to add him. Same for Allen. And Armia.

Make no mistake, I'm not defending that clown.

I understand you're not defending him but I always felt it was the easy part to get rid of a player and you get 3-4-5 offers and simply picked the best one which was 95% of Bergevin trades overall. I think the real value is in those trades he targeted a player, and yes like Petry trade which was obviously one of the good one (But Armia was not a player he targeted)

But when you look at Bergevin's record in those kind of trades, he was pretty terrible

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

He fits the age group. Has taken his health seriously by getting help. Has a goal scoring history. He may come at a good price.

I've been looking at forwards 26 and under who could fill the offensive hole on the habs and Laine is one the very few who is fits the bill and is available.
I would not care if he came to the CH, but can't trade the farm for him. fair deal. why not
great shot

Reactions: Rozz

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

1) 2 2nds for Shaw
2) Sergachev for Drouin
3) 1st+2nd for Dvorak

I mean if trades for Kulak and Armia are considered wins because we got an ok depth player for what is basically nothing then shouldn't trades like Tokarski, Kassian be considered losses because those two went on to provide ok depth careers but we got nothing in return.

I only see 3 trades I would consider wins, your top-3. I can see the case for Vanek being a win but if 18 good regular season games is all it takes to be considered a win then trades like Andrighetto would be a loss because he put up 16 points in 19 games post trade. It feels like you change the value of a 2nd round pick to suit your needs, if getting 18 NHL games from two 2nd round picks is good value then a trade like Gorges or Scandella isn't really good value for only returning 2nd round picks as they provided their teams with much more then 18 regular season games.

Like if trading Shaw for a 2nd round pick (Mysak) is a win because hey at least we got out of his terrible contract then surely Domi for Anderson is a loss because we would be better off with having kept Domi and lost him for nothing as a UFA.

Reactions: ReHabs

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I mean if trades for Kulak and Armia are considered wins because we got an ok depth player for what is basically nothing then shouldn't trades like Tokarski, Kassian be considered losses because those two went on to provide ok depth careers but we got nothing in return.

I only see 3 trades I would consider wins, your top-3. I can see the case for Vanek being a win but if 18 good regular season games is all it takes to be considered a win then trades like Andrighetto would be a loss because he put up 16 points in 19 games post trade. It feels like you change the value of a 2nd round pick to suit your needs, if getting 18 NHL games from two 2nd round picks is good value then a trade like Gorges or Scandella isn't really good value for only returning 2nd round picks as they provided their teams with much more then 18 regular season games.

Like if trading Shaw for a 2nd round pick (Mysak) is a win because hey at least we got out of his terrible contract then surely Domi for Anderson is a loss because we would be better off with having kept Domi and lost him for nothing as a UFA.
Kulak did give us Lane Hutson :)

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015

I agree and get this guy a real hockey market to play in! May just be what he needs to get back on track...can't hide in MTL...

Reactions: Chr1s97

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I understand you're not defending him but I always felt it was the easy part to get rid of a player and you get 3-4-5 offers and simply picked the best one which was 95% of Bergevin trades overall. I think the real value is in those trades he targeted a player, and yes like Petry trade which was obviously one of the good one (But Armia was not a player he targeted)

But when you look at Bergevin's record in those kind of trades, he was pretty terrible
I'd argue that Armia was a player he targeted or else he wouldn't be here for this long.
Kulak ended up returning a 2nd not long after Bergevin left. So if you think a 2nd rounder is equivalent to a Max Friberg who played two AHL seasons with us before leaving, then you obviously can which is what makes it subjective. I personally think a depth trade that ended up as a win but ultimately doesn't mean anything was getting Torrey Mitchell as a solid 4th line center for a couple of years for a 7th.

Comparing Armia and Kulak to Tokarski and Kassian is outrageously disingenuous.
I only see 3 trades I would consider wins, your top-3.
If that's the case then the only bad trade you can even mention is the Sergachev one because a late 1st and some 2nds shouldn't be something that is costly according to your own criteria. That would still mean he's won more than he's lost.
I can see the case for Vanek being a win but if 18 good regular season games is all it takes to be considered a win then trades like Andrighetto would be a loss because he put up 16 points in 19 games post trade.
Ignoring the awful comparison between Vanek who was a PPG player at the time of the trade and Andrighetto who spent half the time in the minors in the year he got traded, you can't have it both ways. Either you need to consider the rest of my list by acknowledging that getting good value for a rental, or you acknowledge that the price paid for a PPG player as a rental was a good one. I didn't even mention the Plekanec trade since I believed it to be a "whatever" trade.
It feels like you change the value of a 2nd round pick to suit your needs
Lol and you aren't? You are ignoring a lot of context to try and fit your contradictory narrative but it's not working.
if getting 18 NHL games from two 2nd round picks is good value then a trade like Gorges or Scandella isn't really good value for only returning 2nd round picks as they provided their teams with much more then 18 regular season games.
So you must think every rental trade in NHL history where the player acquired didn't end up being a contributor on the Stanley Cup Winning team was a bad trade right? Or can you acknowledge that adding a PPG player for a playoff push for a disappointing prospect and a 2nd is a good price to pay for a rental when many were giving up that price for a bottom 6 rental.

I also like that Collberg was considered a 2nd rounder when his play had completely fallen off a cliff since being drafted, but of course you don't mention that for some reason.
Like if trading Shaw for a 2nd round pick (Mysak) is a win because hey at least we got out of his terrible contract
So you'd rather keep the player with a bad contract for multiple years who could only play 40 games in two seasons due to serious injuries as opposed to a free 2nd?
then surely Domi for Anderson is a loss because we would be better off with having kept Domi and lost him for nothing as a UFA.
Anderson didn't retire after 40 games across two seasons like Shaw. In fact, he was essentially a 20 goalscorer or 3 seasons before last year while not a single team wants Domi longterm. Anderson was highly coveted before this year. More importantly, we are strictly discussing trade value here, not contracts.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
At the very least Hughes is committing to a direction. Bergevin was unable to do that. The guy went from wanting to trade Subban to the Oilers for a bunch of high end young pieces only to decide to trade him for an older dman like a couple of hours later. It's like a complete 180 in terms of strategy which makes no sense. The only time he sold a meaningful asset was when Pacioretty wanted out.

I can't really evaluate Hughes yet, but he's at least committing to a rebuild unlike MB.
Bergevin had only one strategy in mind there and that was to unload PK. His foxhole buddy thought it was best.

Reactions: Runner77 and ReHabs

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

He did well on Winnipeg under Maurice, then prior to last year he put up close to a PPG the prior 2 seasons when he was healthy.

Last year was a complete write-off for him, Columbus stupidly hired Babcock then for some reason Vincent put him at C to start the season even though he's been a winger his whole career.

I think playing for a coach like MSL and being put with a playmaker like Dach could be a great spot for him.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Not gonna lie, this seems more like wishful thinking/trying to convince yourself rather than it happening.

He would be a nice option, but like Zegras, Necas and I think those are the 3 main ones people want, he comes with problems in that the cost to acquire him and you now have a player who takes most of your free cap space, hasn't played a whole lot, isn't on a fixed long-twem contract.

He might take Caufield's spot, but I think he (Laine) plays the left side on the pp.

He doesn't make the team harder to play against in that he plays in your face hockey, or that he's got wheels.

The positive for Laine is if he stays healthy, you got a tremendous player. Him with Dach and Newhook, Newhook for speed and to be a menace on the forecheck and hopefully Laine and Dach get in and start to cycle well.

His shot is ridiculous. Matthews tier.

If he is available and the Habs are interested. If they can send Dvork, or Anderson back would be my choice of the 3. Get Mathieu Olivier, too for the 4th line.

You'd get two birds stoned at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad