HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Posted this in a thread on the Main trade board, Considering these are the 2 players most of their fans want dealt anyways...

Not the solution Leaf fans would want , but given the Petry trade, the reality they will probably face. To clear a bit of cap space for this season and to open a spot and sign Sandin.

Holl and Kerfoot (5.5 M) 1 year left on both

for

Hoffman (4.5M) 2 years left + rights to Stapely (expire Aug 15)

Montreal fills a need on RD for this season, and breaks the winger logjam for next season with 2 players they can possibly trade at the deadline for more picks to help the rebuild.

Toronto gets 1M in cap room this season, and can buyout, trade, or keep Hoffman next season. He can help on the 2nd line and the PP playing with JT. Stapely who Montreal apparently does not intend to sign could be a decent Marlie or Growler.

This is similar to the Petry trade where Montreal took on the extra year of Matheson due to the lower cap hit compared to Petry.

If needed Montreal could probably add a B prospect or draft pick to close the deal.

I think I'd do that.

Habs take on 1M more on the cap in this deal, but they're both expiring contracts so those guys can be flipped at the deadline. At the same time, they get out of Hoffman's 2 years.

Stapley is also a prospect Habs have no intention of signing. In fact, they hold his rights for another month. So getting something for him is good asset management.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
NYR should’ve fleeced Jets on Trouba deal, in a similar situation but didn’t .. Pionk has turned into as good of not better Dman + the 1st rounder netted Winter-peg Heinola.

Chevaldayoff’s been down this road a few times now, he knows how to play the situation as well…
At the time, they kind of did. Pionk turned into a player but wasn't that highly regarded at the time, if memory serves. Much like Roslavic when he was included in the Laine trade and went from a 3rd line center to no.1 in Columbus. He was a throw in at the time with some potential upside.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Personally, the cost to acquire him is the big question for me. The contract doesn't concern me much because I would rather have guys like Suzuki, PLD, and Caufield take up the cap space than Hoffman, Armia, and Gallagher.

And with the cap set to go up significantly over the next few years, those contracts will have less of an impact on the team's cap.

Well....The contract is really important to me mainly cause we got so many bad contracts over the years and we don't need another extra long contract with too much money on it, Right now I'm seeing the numbers some fans attach to him and it's way too much for me

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
With Petry gone, I am hoping we can trade one of our shitty contracts on the wing for a D who can eat some ice time. Barrie isn't needed in Edmonton and they can use some forward depth, I doubt they'd trade for Gallagher but getting rid of Hoffman or Armia for Barrie could work for both teams.

If Winnipeg wants to make the playoffs, a trade involving Anderson and Dvorak around Dubois could help them add some depth. In addition, no one wants to play in Winnipeg so they should be looking for guys locked up with term. Obviously there will need to be some more added to the trade, but right now it isn't looking like they have a ton of leverage if Dubois' agent is making it sound like he'll want to be in Montreal in the future.

Dadonov - Suzuki - Caufield
Slafkovsky - Dubois - Drouin
Pitlick - Dach - Gallagher
Pezzetta - Evans - Armia/Hoffman/Byron

Edmundson - Barrie
Matheson - Savard
Harris/Norlinder - Wideman

The defence/goaltending will still suck, but it'll be a fun team to watch next year and we'd be able to clear a few bodies out at the deadline as well to give shots to guys like Ylonen/RHP.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I know he won't, that's what I'm saying. PLD is good but I don't think he is at all a guy that you want to sign to a long-term deal
Your takes on PLD are all pretty bad. If PLD comes to the Habs, I guarantee you he has as many points as Suzuki. Bookmark this and we'll talk then.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

I really don't get how him not filing helps facilitate a trade here and that article isn't much help.

All it means is that there's no guaranteed contract that binds the two. The Jets could still elect to do team based arb which means Dubois could choose 1 year but I think he would still have to do it all over again next season.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Most likely what happens with Dubois is he gets moved next summer for similar to what trouba got.

Mid-late 1st + younger roster player. Trouba when traded looked like a future 1D for a long time. He had 50 points and played heavy minutes.

I'm assuming we trade for him next offseason for a 1st we acquired in 2024 + Dvorak + B Prospect.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Your takes on PLD are all pretty bad. If PLD comes to the Habs, I guarantee you he has as many points as Suzuki. Bookmark this and we'll talk then.
If he has as many points as Suzuki, it means Suzuki tops out as a 2C which is entirely possible.

But I don't really understand why you are comparing their points and talking to me about it. Statistically it looks like Suzuki could end up having a slightly better PPG, but I'd agree that they will probably be similar in points production. Why I prefer Suzuki is that he is a much better defensive player and he has yet to show the character concerns that have plagued PLD.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I really don't get how him not filing helps facilitate a trade here and that article isn't much help.

All it means is that there's no guaranteed contract that binds the two. The Jets could still elect to do team based arb which means Dubois could choose 1 year but I think he would still have to do it all over again next season.

Or he could pick 2 years if the team elects for it and guarantee UFA in 2 years he also could just sign his QO for 1 year twice.

The other thing is it allows him and his agent to talk with the Habs still.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Or he could pick 2 years if the team elects for it and guarantee UFA in 2 years he also could just sign his QO for 1 year twice.

The other thing is it allows him and his agent to talk with the Habs still.
Okay that makes more sense. That was the little nugget I was looking for. Thanks.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Agreed the article doesn’t give any information on this. But a poster gave a great breakdown and efffectively by not filing for arbitration, Dubois takes more control over the process.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Okay that makes more sense. That was the little nugget I was looking for. Thanks.

I'm not 100% on that. The reason I think thats correct is because you aren't eligible for an offersheet if you file and that's the only reason you are supposed to talk to other teams as an rfa.

If he has as many points as Suzuki, it means Suzuki tops out as a 2C which is entirely possible.

But I don't really understand why you are comparing their points and talking to me about it. Statistically it looks like Suzuki could end up having a slightly better PPG, but I'd agree that they will probably be similar in points production. Why I prefer Suzuki is that he is a much better defensive player and he has yet to show the character concerns that have plagued PLD.

Long term I expect Dubois to be a Wing for us who fills in at C when their are injuries. Tampa and Colorado did this and it proved valuable.

Tamp always has a top 6 C on wing just in case. Colorado has Ranatenen who is a wing that can play C as well. I see Dubois filling that role for us.

Dubois - Dach is the duo of our 2nd time for a long time with one of Mesar, Roy, or Ferrall being the 3rd man their.

Reactions: ML16

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018

Ask the Laffs if they liked PLD's defensive game, he drove them nuts. As far as character, I don't get this "he's quitting on WPG" narrative. He didn't quit, he gave them a head's up that he doesn't want more than 2 years, which is better than some players like Gaudreau did. That's also entirely his right if he doesn't want to resign when he reaches UFA. The only issue here is that it went public.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Ask the Laffs if they liked PLD's defensive game, he drove them nuts. As far as character, I don't get this "he's quitting on WPG" narrative. He didn't quit, he gave them a head's up that he doesn't want more than 2 years, which is better than some players like Gaudreau did. That's also entirely his right if he doesn't want to resign when he reaches UFA. The only issue here is that it went public.
Yes he went public, exactly. And he did the same in Columbus 2 years ago. So that's twice. It's concerning.

From everything I can tell, he's not a plus defender. Besides, Nick Suzuki is an extremely good one. But why compare Suzuki to PLD? I don't really get it.

Reactions: zeeto

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dach, for sure. Panthers won't be as good this year but still a playoff team.

I'd do Dvorak, Armaia, FLO 1st and Harris

Yeah, I'm leaning toward not trading Dach at this stage. Jets likely have him as their target but he could have a jump forward with MSL this year and could be a mistake. I rather stay patient there.

Panthers 1st could be in play yes. I like your offer cause salary in matches salary out. I'd take Harris out but if they insist, I'd take the Panthers 1st out.

Sorry Jets, we are interested in Dubois but not desperate. If they feel they can trade him and get better value for 2 RFA years and the other team thinks they can extend him (like the Jets did in the Laine+/Dubois trade, all the power to them.

Armia is not a negative contract. He had a bad season on a team that was a disaster in many areas. Dvorak is a notch below Dubois and the gap between them is fair with Armia and Panthers 1st. Take it or leave it. Other types of take or leave it offers we can do as well but we are not giving full value for a player who clearly wants to play for the Habs. We have leverage and we will use it

Yes he went public, exactly. And he did the same in Columbus 2 years ago. So that's twice. It's concerning.

From everything I can tell, he's not a plus defender. Besides, Nick Suzuki is an extremely good one. But why compare Suzuki to PLD? I don't really get it.

It's not concerning cause he likely wanted to go the Habs after his Blue Jacket trade request. It's not Dubois's or the Habs's fault the Jets intervened by offering Laine and Rost and thinking they could get Dubois to stay. That was a risk they took and it's back fired on them.

Reactions: Destopcorner

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Yeah, I'm leaning toward not trading Dach at this stage. Jets likely have him as their target but he could have a jump forward with MSL this year and could be a mistake. I rather stay patient there.

Panthers 1st could be in play yes. I like your offer cause salary in matches salary out. I'd take Harris out but if they insist, I'd take the Panthers 1st out.

Sorry Jets, we are interested in Dubois but not desperate. If they feel they can trade him and get better value for 2 RFA years and the other team thinks they can extend him (like the Jets did in the Laine+/Dubois trade, all the power to them.

Armia is not a negative contract. He had a bad season on a team that was a disaster in many areas. Dvorak is a notch below Dubois and the gap between them is fair with Armia and Panthers 1st. Take it or leave it. Other types of take or leave it offers we can do as well but we are not giving full value for a player who clearly wants to play for the Habs. We have leverage and we will use it

It's not concerning cause he likely wanted to go the Habs after his Blue Jacket trade request. It's not Dubois's or the Habs's fault the Jets intervened by offering Laine and Rost and thinking they could get Dubois to stay. That was a risk they took and it's back fired on them.
Yeah, I'd rather not include Harris either. I don't see Armia getting a new deal here beyond this one anyway, so makes sense to me to add him in.

If Dubois is in, we would have two many decent centers (when was the last time the Habs could say that?) So it comes down to which one to keep between Dvorak and Dach - and I feel Dach has more upside, is younger, costs less and Dvorak probably has more value today than Dach.

As you mentioned, under MSL - that could change and quick.

I asked CapFriendly. If they answer me, I will share.

Awesome! I'm very interested to know what thr answer is. Thanks!

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Presumably because if they are comparable you have to give them a similar contract. If the Habs acquire Dubois they will give him a fair deal of 7-8 years around in the 7-8 mil range. Brisson won't expect to break the bank since the player is getting to go the team he wants to play for.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed! Look at the chain of events... It adds up! Dubois is bailing on two teams cause he wants to play for the Habs clearly.

* Habs tried to move Subban for the 4th pick with the Oilers. Not sure if that deal would have happened or not if the Blue Jackets didn't take Dubois at 3rd over Puljujarvi. Imagine what Dubois was thinking back when he herd the Habs were shopping Subban and the Oilers 4th was at play and that's around where he was ranked? Lots of rumors about the Subban to Oilers trade back when and the Habs being interested in Dubois.

* Was a beast against the Leafs in the play in playoffs (Habs fan growing up so he showed his top gear). I would not undersell this. He gave the Leafs fits that series.

* Wanted out of Columbus and likely wanted to be traded to the Habs. I know Bergevin tried but we didn't have a Laine and Rost to offer them. Jets are the ones who intervened thinking they could get Dubois to stay and sign long term. This on the Jets for making that move, not on Dubois or the Habs. It clearly back fired on them.

* After getting traded to the Jets, he was very unispired for the rest of that regular season. Fans thought he was injured.

* Jets face the Oilers and Dubois was solid. Then very uninspired against the Habs.

* Dubois sucks it up and had a good season last year on the last year of his contract. Now that he is a RFA with 2 years left, he's trying to control his own faith and the book is out now... he wants to play for the Habs

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Presumably because if they are comparable you have to give them a similar contract. If the Habs acquire Dubois they will give him a fair deal of 7-8 years around in the 7-8 mil range. Brisson won't expect to break the bank since the player is getting to go the team he wants to play for.

Hughes would be smart to have the extension in place prior to the trade (whatever that trade looks like, I trust Hughes). However, I would not make the trade without any extension.

All the Habs need to do is sit back and let it play out. Jets trade him to another team? What GM is going to do what the Jets did and wish he extends with them after the trade? Dubois is not going to bypass the Habs at this point in time and sign an extension with another team. His head is in Montreal clearly with the information we have come to learn

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Chevaldayoff scewed up every which way. I would have thought Brisson would have told him Dubois wants to play for the Habs. But mybe the trade was completed wihout informing Brisson.
In any event the Chevy should have fired Maurice and gotten rid of Wheeler (and maybe Scheifele) and kept Laine.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
What’s with all the Suzuki and PLD comparisons? We are not trading one for the other. The point is to have two very good young top 6 Cs. Also. If PLD does come here, comparing point totals between the two would be stupid. Suzuki is going to have Caufield on his wing. PLD will likely have Gallagher. Nuff said.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I don't think they are comparable, but yes he will want probably between 7.5-8M a year. Personally I don't think it's a good idea to pay him that much long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad